Level up here
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Together RPG - Buck Rogers: CtD - 06/01 -> 08/01

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Image Image

Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday
Platforms: DOS, Amiga, C64, Genesis

Our next game up is the SSI Gold Box tactical RPG Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday. I have only ever played the Genesis version, which I used to rent back when I was a kid. It was a hidden gem for me and I loved building up my team and exploring the solar system. The DOS and Gen versions have some differences, wikipedia explains the differences:
"Most versions of the game display the Adventuring view from the point of view of the party (i.e. the display is first-person), and have a simple text menu for spaceports.

The Sega Genesis version of the game shows the Adventuring view as an isometric view of the area indicating the characters behind the party leader (i.e. the display is third-person), and uses the Adventuring view in spaceports. Most of the text is replaced by icons.

The available races and classes are also more limited on the Sega Mega Drive/Genesis version. The player may only select from Human, Desert Runner, and Tinker as races, and may select only Warrior, Rocketjock, Medic, or Rogue as a character class. There are also significantly fewer skills and equipment types available to players as compared to the PC version."

Who will be playing along and on what platform?
Last edited by Jmustang1968 on Sun May 31, 2015 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Re: Together RPG - Buck Rogers: CtD - 06/01 -> 08/01

Post by CFFJR »

I'll be playing, on the Genesis.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Looks fascinating, but I don't own it and have a lot on my plate so I won't be joining in this round. Curious to see how you guys and gals enjoy it though.

(I do have a beautiful copy of Planet of Zoom..... too bad that's not an RPG also :lol: )
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The CRPG Addict did this a few years ago and the impression I got was that the other SSI Gold Box games were better. If I already owned this I'd join in, but since I'd have to get it I'll pass.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

MrPopo wrote:The CRPG Addict did this a few years ago and the impression I got was that the other SSI Gold Box games were better. If I already owned this I'd join in, but since I'd have to get it I'll pass.

It is cheap on Gen and you can get easily for Dos Box
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

I'm trying out the PC version in a few min.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Jmustang1968 wrote:
MrPopo wrote:The CRPG Addict did this a few years ago and the impression I got was that the other SSI Gold Box games were better. If I already owned this I'd join in, but since I'd have to get it I'll pass.

It is cheap on Gen and you can get easily for Dos Box

I'm trying to find excuses NOT to grow my already massive backloggery :P
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.