(Seeking Advice) I want to play a cRPG. Where should I begin

Level up here
GrouchoGlasses
16-bit

(Seeking Advice) I want to play a cRPG. Where should I begin

Post by GrouchoGlasses »

Title says it all, but there are some stipulations. I'm looking for advice on what is an excellent first cRPG (the release of Pillars of Eternity has me thinking if this should be my first one).

I'm not looking for the "Citizen Kane" of cRPG, so please, no recommendations of whatever games land on the top of critics' lists for the sole reason they are on the top of critics' lists. I want a game that is easily accessible in modern gaming sensibilities. This has me leaning towards the more modern Wasteland 2, Divinity - Original Sin, Shadowrun - Dragonfall, Pillars of Eternity, etc. However, perhaps the mid-90's golden age cRPGs are truly the greatest in all categories.

Try to place yourself in the position of a complete novice in regards to the realm of the cRPG. What game would you play first?

Also, is there any advice regarding how one should approach their first cRPG that you wish was told to you when you first began in the genre?
Ack

Re: (Seeking Advice) I want to play a cRPG. Where should I b

Post by Ack »

Baldur's Gate was where I got into the genre. It would be helpful to have a little knowledge about Dungeons and Dragons 2nd edition, so you understand just what THAC0 is, but it offers a lot of different characters to seek out, gives the player a lot of opportunity to explore on their own, doesn't hold your hand, but has a lot of versatility depending on your playstyle.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Ultima VI: The False Prophet (on PC) is one of the more accessible games in the series. I'd start with something like that. Betrayal at Krondor would also be a fine choice.

Of course if you want to ease yourself in with something more action-oriented check out Diablo II.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

The original Fallout should do the trick. If that's too oldschool go with Divinity - Original Sin.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

First off, I would absolutely not recommend Baldur's Gate. There is an almost infinite amount of saving and reloading from bad combat outcomes and the game, at its early stages are overly difficult.

Games you mentioned that I would recommend would definitely be Shadowrun Returns. The game may be somewhat short, but the gameplay is a lot of fun and very engaging.

If you are looking for RPGs from the mid 90's I would recommend Dark Sun: Shattered Lands. The game is very accessible, a lot of fun, filled with side quests that are unique and full of life and the world itself is unique in comparison to the standard fantasy fare. The game is buggy, but not frustratingly so and if you beat it and like it, you can carry your party over to the sequel, Wake of the Ravager.

Another game I would recommend, which you can find very cheap is Anachronox. The game features a very traditional combat system akin to the final fantasy series, but has a very unique sci-fi story, open world and unique characters. Although I have not completed the game, I have gotten a large chunk into it and have loved it. I highly recommend it!

If you want a sandbox game adventurer simulator, I would suggest checking out a really unusual, very groundbreaking game, Darklands. You and your team of adventurers travel through 15th century germany doing quests, gaining reputation and either being a hero or a corrupt villain. The game mixes a strategy RPG and an interactive fiction by offering unique choices that place you into various situations based on those choices. Your team ages, retires and more can rise up to take the mantle. It really is a delightful game that a lot of people overlook, but takes a lot of time.

Lastly, I would recommend is, Ultima VIII: The Black Gate. You do not need prior knowledge of the Ultima universe to play, which is a definite positive. The game focuses on trying to create a living breathing world. Here, people wake up, go about their job and try to live their lives. With a day night cycle and NPC routines, there is a definite sense of atmosphere. What makes it better is that you can play around with everything in the world, picking up and manipulating things. Want bread? Oh...just put flour on a table, add water, put the dough into an oven and wait. BOOM! Bread! Do they tell you this? No, but that is what makes exploring and experimenting with the world so exciting and fun. It is really spectacular and is a title that developers try to emulate even to this day.

As for tips when deciding to play these types of games... READ THE MANUAL. This is still in the time when a game uses the manual to really explain what you need to do and introduces the strategic elements of the game. You must use every tool at your disposal to succeed and you can't muscle through the game so plan things out before making a party and experiment. Most of all, just take the time to play them. A lot of people try to rush through these games and become frustrated because they hit a wall. If you take your time and plan appropriately, you tend to do well. Good luck and enjoy!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I'd say to start with Shadowrun Returns as your introduction, as it doesn't really dive too deep into needing to understand game mechanics at a deep level. You can use that to determine if you like the genre or not.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

One of the first I played was Neverwinter Nights, which doesn't really stand out narratively, but in large part because it was designed more as a toolkit. The included campaign is more an example of what's possible to make, and is somewhat generic.

Neverwinter Nights 2 was received poorly on release, but a lot of the issues were soon patched up, and the followup expansion that kinda-sorta continues the story, Mask of the Betrayer, turned out to be quite good.

I would say they aren't a bad place to look at starting. They're still D&D license games that, NWN particularly, are first steps into full 3D from the Infinity Engine stuff. Either are designed to support and promote user generated content, and you can readily find ones that will let you experiment with different classes and builds if you want to do that before committing to something over the course of a game.

You'd get enough familiarity with D&D stuff to step back to older titles and not be lost, or be able to shift to newer things like Dragon Age without missing much of a beat (though that gets simplified a lot after Origins/Awakening).

May just want to dabble with a few things to see what winds up really appealing to you as well.
Ack

Post by Ack »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:First off, I would absolutely not recommend Baldur's Gate. There is an almost infinite amount of saving and reloading from bad combat outcomes and the game, at its early stages are overly difficult.

I disagree, so long as you follow the main quest long enough to get Khalid and Jaheira. Once you have those two, the difficulty decreases significantly, since you should theoretically now have a four character party, including Khalid as a tank and Jaheira with utility and some healing capabilities.

Plus getting used to the infinite amount of saving is great for when you finally decide to tackle Arcanum. And the first BG is a great gateway into Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Temple of Elemental Evil, etc.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Baldur's Gate is a terrible choice for someone's first CRPG, especially in modern times. Sorry Ack. It's a great choice for a D&D lover at least.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

BG2 would be a more forgiving game than the first. Those games are easy to me now, but that's because I know the system well. It could be very easy for a new person to be overwhelmed or to make character progression decisions that screw themselves over.

I am assuming you want an isometric view game? I would echo Shadowrun Returns as being a good beginner game. Pillars could be good as well as it has its own new and unique system, but is a bit more complex than shadowrun. Dragon Age Origins can also be a great starting point as it is very accessible and you can take different approaches to how you play it.

If you dont need an isometric game, Fallout 3 and the Elder Scrolls games are good options as well.
Last edited by Jmustang1968 on Mon Mar 30, 2015 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.