Review: Steel Diver Sub Wars

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Flake

Review: Steel Diver Sub Wars

Post by Flake »

My two sentence take on the game? "Grab your 3DS and download this game now. You can thank me later".

When the 3DS first came out, one of the games that interested me the most was Steel Diver. As a Navy vet who did a deployment aboard a submarine, I was really interested in Nintendo's sim-lite take on the idea of sub warfare.

Then I played it and got over that notion. The game was shallow, the controls were bad, and the only part that interested me was the first person shooting part that was so poorly supported that it scarcely warranted being included.

Fast forward to yesterday when Nintendo released onto the 3DS Eshop what I think may already be my Game of the Year. Steel Diver Sub Wars is the free-to-play sequel to Steel Diver. It entirely eschews the awkward 2D gameplay of the original and is instead focused on first person submarine warfare where navigation, planning, and subterfuge are your primary weapons.

In Sub Wars, you captain your boat in a variety of missions and face off against surface, subsurface, and aerial threats. To meet the requirements of each mission, you can select from a pool of submarines, each with its own strengths and weaknesses. Submarines are unlocked by playing through single player missions or advancing your rank in multiplayer and some special subs are available as $ .99 DLC. You are also able to find crew members in missions and multiplayer battles who will then augment your vessels abilities.

The two main modes, single and multi player, have a lot of meat on them. Single player missions take the Mario 64 approach where you'll have different tasks in the same area. Multiplayer missions are incredible. You team up with captains around the world to outmaneuver and torpedo the opposing team. Though the action is hardly fast paced, I've yet to have a multi player battle where I wasn't holding my breath as I tried to find and outflank another sub, usually to find out that there was a masked boat behind them who is now shooting at me.

The graphics are great. Although the models are fairly simple, great attention has been paid to the arenas and mission areas to give the game a great sense of atmosphere. Particularly pleasing is the water effect as you dive below the surface. Watching the bubbles race towards you in 3D only to realize that you're already staring at an opponent is a lot of fun.

The game comes for free with a couple of missions and access to multiplayer. The premium version is $10, which feels like a perfect price point for the amount of content the game offers.

I think this game is for anyone who likes tactical combat in their MMOs and should definitely be sampled by all the vocal people who criticize Nintendo for never producing new IPs.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Review: Steel Diver Sub Wars

Post by fastbilly1 »

Is the free version enough to make a decent decision about buying it? Meaning after I play through it is there a good chance I will still be on the fence for the full version?
Flake

Post by Flake »

fastbilly1 wrote:Is the free version enough to make a decent decision about buying it? Meaning after I play through it is there a good chance I will still be on the fence for the full version?

Yes. I was hooked after two missions of the demo.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Awesome. I am downloading this weekend, everyone can start calling me the Vilnius Schoolmaster. Also, thank you for your service in the Navy. After working on a submarine for a couple days I went stir crazy, I cannot imagine staying down there for an extended period.
Flake

Post by Flake »

fastbilly1 wrote:Awesome. I am downloading this weekend, everyone can start calling me the Vilnius Schoolmaster. Also, thank you for your service in the Navy. After working on a submarine for a couple days I went stir crazy, I cannot imagine staying down there for an extended period.

It was two months. I went crazy.
Opa Opa

Post by Opa Opa »

I tried multiplayer. This is the most stressful gaming experience I've ever had.

It's such a strange mixture of a stealth game and an aggressive hunting game.

Edit: to clarify, by "stressful" I don't mean "the game sucks and is impossible to play"
I mean "I don't want to screw up the game for the people on my team and I feel pressured to do my best."
Flake

Post by Flake »

Opa Opa wrote:I tried multiplayer. This is the most stressful gaming experience I've ever had.

Edit: to clarify, by "stressful" I don't mean "the game sucks and is impossible to play"
I mean "I don't want to screw up the game for the people on my team and I feel pressured to do my best."

Exactly. Every time I break off the hunt for enemy subs to go grab a new crew member or repair kit, I feel pretty guilty. It's rare the game where you have to avoid reacting too fast less you over react and end up exposing your flank or crash into a mountain. It's wonderful!
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Opa Opa wrote:I tried multiplayer. This is the most stressful gaming experience I've ever had.

I totally understand. Isn't that a sign of a great game when you feel pressure... honest to goodness pressure to perform and do well. You have to think quickly and react even quicker. No run & gun with this game.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
CavZee
Next-Gen

Post by CavZee »

Hmmmm....might give it a shot now.
Steam/NNID: CavZee PSN: I_CavZee_I
3DS FC: 5456-0768-7231
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Flake wrote: what I think may already be my Game of the Year.

Jeez, it's only February.

Do you do much non-Nintendo-based contemporary gaming? I just feel like it's been a long time for a game on a Nintendo platform to do something that strikes me as "GOTY" quality, even if they sometimes have interesting hooks...