Our Favorite Racing Games

Post game-related video clips here
Redifer
128-bit

Our Favorite Racing Games

Post by Redifer »

Like racing games? Like Game Sack? Or at least tolerate Game Sack? Good. Here's some awesome racing games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTVe7AIGwGM

What are some of your favs? And why?
mister j-y
24-bit

Re: Our Favorite Racing Games

Post by mister j-y »

Shweet episode guys!

Have you been working out?
Systems: PS3, XBox360, Wii-U, New 3DS XL, DC, oXBox, GC (w/GB Player), PSP, DS, GBA, SNES, Megadrive, GB
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

Nice video, I took the liberty of linking it at Rolling Start. I was happily surprised to see a WRC game mentioned, it's very rare to see US folk talking about rally games (with Sega Rally being the exception), that style of racing doesn't seem to be very popular over there.

I'd love a new Outrun myself, but with Sega's loss of the Ferrari license I doubt we'll ever see any...of course it's possible they'll purchase the license again, but Ferrari seems to want to take its cars into simulation games only now.

I was lucky enough to find a Sega Rally cab at this local "history of gaming" expo, and it was even set to freeplay. That was a bright moment in an otherwise drab event. I do have the PS2 port at home as well.

You guys don't have love for the Ridge Racers or Wipeouts? My personal list would certainly have some of those.
Redifer
128-bit

Post by Redifer »

mister j-y wrote:Have you been working out?

Which one of us are you referring to? We decided to leave out the 10-piece Chicken McNuggets from our weekly McDonald's megameals.

ghegs wrote:You guys don't have love for the Ridge Racers or Wipeouts?

Ridge Racer is cool. Well, the older ones, anyway. My faves are Rage Racer and Ridge Racer Type 4 on the PS1. The latter also came with a 60fps high-res version of RR1. I was never really able to get into Wipeout. The controls are super floaty and I never cared for them. I also generally don't like combat with my racing. Road Rash and Mario Kart are the exceptions.
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

Redifer wrote:I also generally don't like combat with my racing. Road Rash and Mario Kart are the exceptions.

Neither do I, which is why I play my Wipeouts with the weapons turned off. And they absolutely deserve to be played with the neGcon controller.

The same applies to the Ridge Racer games, actually. RRV is probably my favorite of the series.
Redifer
128-bit

Post by Redifer »

Do you mean Ridge Racer 5 or Ridge Racer Vita? I've never used the NeGcon controller thingy.
mister j-y
24-bit

Post by mister j-y »

Redifer wrote:
mister j-y wrote:Have you been working out?

Which one of us are you referring to? We decided to leave out the 10-piece Chicken McNuggets from our weekly McDonald's megameals.

Haha! Well I think the both of you seem to be benefiting, but Dave's winning - in answer to your open question (and back on topic) Metal Jesus recommmended (not personally to me) Splashdown 2 and Downhill Domination on the PS2 both are a lot of fun, quite deep and slightly insane
Systems: PS3, XBox360, Wii-U, New 3DS XL, DC, oXBox, GC (w/GB Player), PSP, DS, GBA, SNES, Megadrive, GB
Ghegs
64-bit

Post by Ghegs »

Redifer wrote:Do you mean Ridge Racer 5 or Ridge Racer Vita? I've never used the NeGcon controller thingy.

Ah, I meant Ridge Racer 5. I understand the Vita game is very crippled, I've never tried it myself. Ridge Racer 2 PSP is quite good, though.

You should try the neGcon if you get the chance, it feels extremely comfortable after a while and for many a PS1 racing game it's the only way to get analog controls. It shouldn't be too expensive either. Some time ago I submitted a guide to Racketboy talking about the controller and some of the games supporting it, hopefully it can give you a decent idea of what to expect.
Sano
Next-Gen

Post by Sano »

Need For Speed: Carbon, its the only one I've ever been any good at.. :lol:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Redifer wrote:The latter also came with a 60fps high-res version of RR1.

crap, I forgot about that. Sounds like a damn good reason to keep my eyes peeled for RR4.