Need some ideas, Custom Cocktail Cab: Arena style games

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
mjmjr25

Need some ideas, Custom Cocktail Cab: Arena style games

Post by mjmjr25 »

I'm starting a new cab soon and am looking for some help. I have a general idea of what the cab itself is going to look like, what I am needing help with is what to install inside of it.

Things you should know
-It will be a 4p setup
-I have zero interest in anything MAME / Emulated
-It will get somewhat minimal play in the grand scheme of thing; as such, cost is a consideration. This mainly applies to the idea that I am NOT building custom sticks at min. $100 a pop on this particular cab.

More, but different things you should know
-It is a cocktail style, small footprint
-All 4 sides will have a sitting area for (1) person
-It will be portable, so all wiring will be in an internal column
-For size and convenience, this will be designed for only (1) system

What I am looking for help with:

I need to figure out what system to put in here. So I am looking for the system with the most arcade style games that are equally played from all (4) angles. Games like Robotron N64, or Baldr Force Exe DC-JP, anything that would fall into that Arena Style, or other things in the Pac-Man sort of realm.

Please post any ideas you have that would fit into this limited category...
mjmjr25

Re: Need some ideas, Custom Cocktail Cab: Arena style games

Post by mjmjr25 »

Nobody knows any games that play the same no matter what angle you view the game?

I guess i'm supposed to "bump" this?

So...bump :/
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

only things that are coming to mind are Bomberman and maybe Smash TV.

EDIT: on second thought the controls would feel awkward from different angles in Smash TV.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Bomberman would work well - I thought about doing the same for Saturn Bomberman, but 10 players crowded around the tower would be awkward.

How about Warlords? It is better with a spinner, but playable with a stick and is the best four player trashtalking game ever made.

Other than those two I cant think of too many that you could easily do. There are some like Super Sprint or Eliminator, but those are super hard to get boards.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Gauntlet might work if you had the joysticks turned so they still correspond with the movement on screen. It would be hard to keep track of your actual health, but you at least get the audio food warnings.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

go with the fun machine (N64). they also have a version of the traditional Bomberman that was only released in Japan (last N64 game) for four player action....and if you have a N64 flash cart you can emulate NES games like Gauntlet, Battleship or the four player racing Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

Post by retrosportsgamer »

sevin0seven wrote:go with the fun machine (N64). they also have a version of the traditional Bomberman that was only released in Japan (last N64 game) for four player action....and if you have a N64 flash cart you can emulate NES games like Gauntlet, Battleship or the four player racing Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat.

This is so obscure I nearly fell out of my chair. Kudos.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

sevin0seven wrote:go with the fun machine (N64). they also have a version of the traditional Bomberman that was only released in Japan (last N64 game) for four player action....and if you have a N64 flash cart you can emulate NES games like Gauntlet, Battleship or the four player racing Danny Sullivan's Indy Heat.

Bomberman 64 Arcade is stupidly expensive though. The last one I bid on went for $180 but they typically go for $100-120. Unless hashiriya can find one.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

retrosportsgamer wrote:

This is so obscure I nearly fell out of my chair. Kudos.

:lol: .... the game is really fun in multiplayer mode (and yes i own it). Mike's kids will probably enjoy it.

fastbilly1 wrote:Bomberman 64 Arcade is stupidly expensive though. The last one I bid on went for $180 but they typically go for $100-120. Unless hashiriya can find one.

yeah, the price on that exclusive N64 JPN Bomberman game is crazy. probably the most expensive Bomberman game out there other than Bomberman 2 for the NES. i was also in a hunt for one ...but stopped ever since i got a 64drive flash cart.

Mike if you get a 64drive flash cart you can customized the menu background screen which will fit on this project. i'll bring my 64drive when i visit.. :wink:
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

sevin0seven wrote:
Mike if you get a 64drive flash cart you can customized the menu background screen which will fit on this project. i'll bring my 64drive when i visit.. :wink:

What do you mean by this? You can make the 4 split-screen backgrounds "rotate" directionally to face the players :shock: Or am I reading this wrong?