Why Buy a $600 PS3?

by racketboy Thu May 11, 2006 3:01 pm

I like Peter Moore's thinking...
http://gonintendo.com/?p=2516
lordofduct
Next-Gen

by lordofduct Thu May 11, 2006 3:33 pm

Surprisingly I agree with the prick.

Then again with Microsoft supporting HDDVD over BR (from what I've heard... correct me if I'm wrong) could have something to do with it as well as the video game market. This next gen round is quite an interesting realm I'm noticing. And personally, I'm not investing any of my money on ANY of it.

Screw the Wii - I'm tired of Nintendo... I decided this with the SNES back in 92'
Bugger the XBOX 360 - FPS... FPS... FPS... stop catering to the American idea of good gaming. Shit most of your FPS gamers stay on the PC for the higher quality and cheaper Internet gaming.
PS3 - Do I have to really say anything? Sony is a crap company... not just in consoles, but with all of their products. I don't buy anything Sony. If it's given to me for free; well that's something different.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
neohx_7
64-bit

by neohx_7 Thu May 11, 2006 3:44 pm

I want to get HD-DVD or BluRay since I have a 1080p TV. But with format wars and expensive console wars I am going to try hard to wait it out. After playing Quake IV at 1920x1080 on my screen its hard to back...
racketboy
Site Admin

by racketboy Thu May 11, 2006 3:56 pm

I'm for the Wii for the following reasons.
- A better machine to play my GC games on
- a simple and legal way to play some of my favorite retro games on my TV with wireless controllers.
- a new control scheme that should rock for party games.

XBox 360 has Live and media capabilities that interest me a tad, but I won't buy in for a while.

PS3 does absolutely nothing for me other than having Virtua Fighter 5 as an exclusive.
bawitback
64-bit

by bawitback Thu May 11, 2006 6:24 pm

racketboy wrote:I'm for the Wii for the following reasons.
- A better machine to play my GC games on
- a simple and legal way to play some of my favorite retro games on my TV with wireless controllers.
- a new control scheme that should rock for party games.

XBox 360 has Live and media capabilities that interest me a tad, but I won't buy in for a while.

PS3 does absolutely nothing for me other than having Virtua Fighter 5 as an exclusive.

I Agree with you on the Wii. After reading and watching countless of footage, I must admit I fell in love with the console. Not only having the feature to play retro titles, but also having new games (utilizing the controller). The PS3 did have my hopes up until I've seen its REAL specs and some launch titles. As for Microsoft, it will always be ignored in my book.
neohx_7
64-bit

by neohx_7 Thu May 11, 2006 11:52 pm

On PS3: The backwards compatibility and the 1080p PS2 claims makes me very excited. PS2 games at a higher res with some anti aliasing look incredible.

PCSX2 Grandia III at 1360*768
http://forums.ngemu.com/949585-post268.html

The real PS2 output 640x480
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/artic ... 900620.jpg
Ivo
Next-Gen

Re: Why Buy a $600 PS3?

by Ivo Sun May 14, 2006 5:59 pm

racketboy wrote:I like Peter Moore's thinking...

That was the first thing I thought when I knew PS3 was going for $600 "Crap for that price you can not only get the Wii but an Xbox 360".

I would more likely just get the Wii though :) I'm so hyped about it. I'm counting on Nintendo to polish the controls a bit more so it's not as prone to work weird unless you're at a set distance from the sensor (which I heard someone from E3 complaining about).

Honestly I don't see why you need better looking graphics than, for example, Zelda Twilight Princess. And that's a Gamecube quality game in terms of graphics.

One thing that does worry me in terms of the Wii games shown at E3 - they do seem a bit "zoomed in" not letting you see much in terms of field of vision. Maybe it was just sloppy "camerawork" and the final versions will be better.

Ivo.
neohx_7
64-bit

Re: Why Buy a $600 PS3?

by neohx_7 Tue May 16, 2006 9:41 am

Ivo wrote:
racketboy wrote:I like Peter Moore's thinking...

That was the first thing I thought when I knew PS3 was going for $600 "Crap for that price you can not only get the Wii but an Xbox 360".

I would more likely just get the Wii though :) I'm so hyped about it. I'm counting on Nintendo to polish the controls a bit more so it's not as prone to work weird unless you're at a set distance from the sensor (which I heard someone from E3 complaining about).

Honestly I don't see why you need better looking graphics than, for example, Zelda Twilight Princess. And that's a Gamecube quality game in terms of graphics.

One thing that does worry me in terms of the Wii games shown at E3 - they do seem a bit "zoomed in" not letting you see much in terms of field of vision. Maybe it was just sloppy "camerawork" and the final versions will be better.

Ivo.

I don't need better "graphics" just higher resolution. With higher res you can make out things in the distance better and you can see the geometry in much better detail. Even Doom 1 plays better at higher res. Also, if you were gaming on a VGA/DVI monitor or HDTV you would want higher resolution to better match your screen. Interlaced low res video needs to die...
turkey
24-bit

by turkey Sat May 20, 2006 7:03 pm

neohx_7 wrote:On PS3: The backwards compatibility and the 1080p PS2 claims makes me very excited. PS2 games at a higher res with some anti aliasing look incredible.

PCSX2 Grandia III at 1360*768
http://forums.ngemu.com/949585-post268.html

The real PS2 output 640x480
http://ps2media.ign.com/ps2/image/artic ... 900620.jpg

do we really care about 1080P.... high def tvs are still pretty rare and alot of people will use their regulat tv, and although some tvs are 1080P compatable hardly any actually nativly support it (is only 720P worth of pixels), which means that it will not look any batter than 720P for 99% of people... it is a marketing stunt and nothing more, also alot of pundits recon most games wont go for 1080P because the perfomance hit is too great to take... why do it for the minority when you can make a difference for the majority...

also conside the ps2 xbox games. You program for the lowest denominator, so if the ps3 is far superior to the xbox360 it wont show much as the games will be coded with the 360 in mind just as they where with the ps2 :(, its a shame but money makes the decisions...
Mega-Dan
24-bit

Getting a Wii

by Mega-Dan Sun May 21, 2006 9:52 am

Im getting a Wii, I like the new controller idea and I can play all the old nintendo lightgun games (duck hunt, Gumshoe, hogan's alley) you cant really emulate those anyways. Also the games for the wii are supposed to be cheaper. Xbox360 games are $60 dollars American, thats a insane amount of money, I could buy a gameboy advance sp or a used game gamecube with a controller for that much.
Actually I found out you can hack the xbox360 and get all the games for free, and my immediate impulse was to run out and buy one, then I realized there are no games on that system I want to play except mabey elder scrolls oblivion. Im not buying that system, I own a xbox one and I never play the thing except xbox media center.
Return to Sony and Microsoft