Sega-16 attacked again and taken down by server owner

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
muthabrainconnection
16-bit

Sega-16 attacked again and taken down by server owner

Post by muthabrainconnection »

Loging on redirects you to The Next Level Forum

Sega-16 Taken Down

As you may know, Sega-16 was hacked twice in the last month or so. It was down for an extended period of time initially, upgraded its forum, then was hacked again. Today we were informed by the company that owns TNL's server that Sega-16 was implicated in a phishing attempt and we were to either remove the offending files or the entire server would be taken offline.

I tried contacting Melf, who owns Sega-16, through his forum, but was not able to do so. I sent him a message saying that given this third strike it was too much risk to keep Sega-16 running on our box. I have given him several hours to reply, but as it is early morning in his time zone and he is probably in bed for the night, I must pull the site now.

Until I hear from Melf, I'm going to redirect his domain to this thread so people can be easily aware of the situation. It is very unfortunate that this is happening to such a valuable resource as Sega-16 and such an exceptionally nice man as Melf. However, since TNL is on the same server and in the same block of IPs, I have to do what is right.

This is an ongoing problem, even with the files being removed, since I just pulled up the following warning in Firefox: