Anyone here use Kawaks?

Emu Talk Goes Here
Espio 1919
24-bit

Anyone here use Kawaks?

Post by Espio 1919 »

I just downloaded this and a few games last week, for anyone who doesn't know what Kawaks is it's an arcade emulator that can play CPS1, CPS2 and NeoGeo games; so it's ideal for anyone in need of a fighter fix. It also has access to the Killeria Netplay servers so you can play people online at stuff like Fatal Fury and SSFII Turbo. Does anyone else have this? it'd be fun to know a few people I can play against on the net, and I just got a converter plus an old PSX controller for it as well.
HarassmentPanda

Post by HarassmentPanda »

I'm actually building an arcade cabinet right now so that I can play these game online with a more authentic feel. I'm swamped with law school exams right now, but I hope to get the project into full swing this weekend.
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

I have it, but the video options are crummy so I don't use it. I'd be willing to break it out some time for some netplay.
4ppleseed
64-bit

Post by 4ppleseed »

What does this have over MAME? I'm a bit confused ta.
Espio 1919
24-bit

Post by Espio 1919 »

the big difference is that Kawaks is a windowed program, and MAME has to be run through the command prompt; I picked kawaks because I didn't want to mess around a lot with the cmd. MAME however has a vastly larger selection of games, and kawkas has access to just CPS1+2 and NeoGeo boards, but it can run some of the newer titles.
arion
Next-Gen

Post by arion »

i used kawaks alot it´s a good emulator for capcom cps2 beat em ups and it also plays neo geo games pretty well..overall a damn good emulator
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

Espio 1919 wrote:the big difference is that Kawaks is a windowed program, and MAME has to be run through the command prompt; I picked kawaks because I didn't want to mess around a lot with the cmd. MAME however has a vastly larger selection of games, and kawkas has access to just CPS1+2 and NeoGeo boards, but it can run some of the newer titles.

Umm... there are plenty of GUIs for mame. Kawaks is an emulator that is mostly geared towards CPS2 and MVS. It used to be updated for CPS2 xors more often than MAME and also play newer NeoGeo games, but that is not the case anymore. It has more graphics filters and nice windowed modes, but the fullscreen options are awful. There are plenty of hacks that mame doesn't have like true transparency in CPS-2 games and the ability to disable the shitty SFA3 announcer.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

I still find Kawaks to be a much better solution than MAME for those games. It's much more user friendly, it emulates faster on the lower end systems, it has more video options and better audio/video enhancements, and it has additional nifty features like the winamp jukebox.
neohx_7
64-bit

Post by neohx_7 »

Mozgus wrote:I still find Kawaks to be a much better solution than MAME for those games. It's much more user friendly, it emulates faster on the lower end systems, it has more video options and better audio/video enhancements, and it has additional nifty features like the winamp jukebox.

Its true that Kawaks is definitely faster, I remember being able to get full speed on a 200mhz AMD K6. Nowadays that system would have trouble running Pac-Man in the latest MAME.
baphomet_irl
128-bit

Post by baphomet_irl »

IMO Kawaks is a lot faster for 2D fighters, I mainly use MAME for older, less demanding games