collection consolidation

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
aaron
Next-Gen

collection consolidation

Post by aaron »

or: how i learned to stop worrying and love the saturn.

does anyone else ever have this problem? you have a relatively large collection, not huge, but large, and you are constantly re-evaluating it and trying to make it the best possible fit for you and your gaming habits? i feel like i have too many games spread out over too many systems. i'm really debating just selling it all and focusing on my saturn collection and my xbox (which gets used ALL the time). but then i remember that i've got games for these systems that i really, really want to be able to play at some point and i don't know if i can justify just getting rid of them. wind waker, twilight princess, shadow of the colossus, azure dreams... etc. i just don't know what to do. i have way too much shit though.

anybody else feel me on this? anyone?
Steam / PSN / Twitter: aaronjohnmiller
puke_face

Re: collection consolidation

Post by puke_face »

The best way that I have found works for me is to take the games that are tempting to you, games you're not playing at the moment, systems you haven't touched for a while, etc. Put them in storage. Just place them neatly in a storage container, and focus on your part of the collection you've been meaning to. For me, the fact that I see those games makes me think that I need to play those games. Kind of an out of sight-out of mind thing. I can focus on the games in front of me that way, and not get distracted by all the other games/systems. If you sell them, you're just going to regret it, because you'll feel obligated to buy them all back at some point, and probably pay a higher price for something that you have now.

As far as buying new games go, just go without that all together until you have finished your first piece of pie first. You don't have to gorge yourself, just take it in moderation.

Hope this helps.
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

puke_face wrote:The best way that I have found works for me is to take the games that are tempting to you, games you're not playing at the moment, systems you haven't touched for a while, etc. Put them in storage. Just place them neatly in a storage container, and focus on your part of the collection you've been meaning to. For me, the fact that I see those games makes me think that I need to play those games. Kind of an out of sight-out of mind thing. I can focus on the games in front of me that way, and not get distracted by all the other games/systems. If you sell them, you're just going to regret it, because you'll feel obligated to buy them all back at some point, and probably pay a higher price for something that you have now.

As far as buying new games go, just go without that all together until you have finished your first piece of pie first. You don't have to gorge yourself, just take it in moderation.

Hope this helps.

hm. good idea, actually...
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

and give me all yr Game Boy games also.
girlracer
Next-Gen

Post by girlracer »

i know how you feel, i just can't bring myself to sell it all
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I've been through this thought process before too. Especially after I buy a bunch of crap in a short period (like this month :( )
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Post by dedalusdedalus »

I feel too spread out over too many systems. Right now, I'm currently collecting SNES, N64, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, and Neo Geo.

I'm beginning to think I should just focus on PS1/PS2 and AES/NGPC, but I just can't bring myself to part with some of my games.
aaron
Next-Gen

Post by aaron »

i feel like i'm just going to concentrate on my saturn stuff right now. i really do think that would be the best for me. because i have 70+ games sitting on my shelf that i just don't play at all.

i think i will be selling some stuff. that'll give me a nice head start on picking up the saturn collecting (and i'm gonna need a lot of cash to get some of those games, whew...)
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

aaron wrote:i feel like i'm just going to concentrate on my saturn stuff right now. i really do think that would be the best for me. because i have 70+ games sitting on my shelf that i just don't play at all.

i think i will be selling some stuff. that'll give me a nice head start on picking up the saturn collecting (and i'm gonna need a lot of cash to get some of those games, whew...)

You are moping over "70+" games that just sit there?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All kidding aside, I wish you the best of luck with Saturn collecting and look forward to your sale!
Pichu
128-bit

Post by Pichu »

Of course, every month when I do self-updates (I keep track of how much money I have spent on games) I think about getting rid of the majority and focusing on GCN, Wii and GBA but there's no way in hell am I selling any of it. I will just spend a summer not buying any games and beating everything. I might sell my Atari stuff though because it's not working right now and I know someone out there can use it for parts.