Switchfoot + Guitar Hero + Buster (Arrested Development)

Post game-related video clips here
racketboy
Site Admin

Switchfoot + Guitar Hero + Buster (Arrested Development)

Post by racketboy »

One of my favorite bands, Switchfoot just posted their new video.

Thought I would post it in here since it has a Guitar Hero (and some DDR) connection in addition to featuring Tony Hale (Buster from Arrested Development)

Enjoy

http://www.switchfoot.com/
extrarice
64-bit

Post by extrarice »

(reposting my comment on a Joystiq post about this where everyone was questioning the relevancy of the post)

This video is interesting because it demonstrates how these two rhythm games have permeated our popular culture. I think it's hilarious that (and interesting how) they decided to incorporate Guitar Hero and DDR as metaphors for people breaking free from the masks they have to put on for every day life.

And yes, Switchfoot rocks. I remember seeing them live as the opening band for Delirious? in, what, 99 or 2000. I was amazed by them then, and they just keep getting better.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

That was cuuuuute
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
manasol
16-bit

Post by manasol »

First time I have ever heard that band. I liked it. Right now, strangely enough, I have been listening to jazz and classical only. Hmmmm, strange seems all my other cds took a back seat. Anyway, I know that I can just grab the lyrics from a google search (since the words are incomprehensible like most songs, lol) but I want to know what's your opinion on the meaning, the message conveyed and the whatever else. I want to know. I liked reading rice's post.
extrarice
64-bit

Post by extrarice »

The lyrics:
Awakening
Face down with the LA curbside endings
With the ones and zeros.
Downtown was the perfect place to hide.
The first star that I saw last night was a headlight
Of a man-made sky, but man- made never made our dreams collide,
Collide.

Here we are now with the falling sky and the rain,
We're awakening
Here we are now with our desperate youth and the pain,
We're awakening
Maybe it's called ambition, you've been talking in your sleep
About a dream, we're awakening

Last week found me living for nothing but deadlines,
With my dead beat sky but, this town doesn't look the same tonight
These dreams started singing to me out of nowhere
And in all my life I don't know if I've ever felt so alive,
Alive

I want to wake up kicking and screaming
I want a heart that I know is beating,
It's beating,
I'm bleeding
I want to live like I know what I'm leaving
I want a heart that I know is beating,
It's beating… it’s beating…
I'm bleeding

I've found that interpreting lyrics is different for everyone. We all bring our own experiences and world views to the words.

To me, this song is very much about a man with nothing to live for, drowning in apathy, trying just about everything to find fulfillment. Then one night, when he's at the end of his rope, fulfillment finds him, and he can't believe the difference in his life. For the first time he feels alive, and he wants it more and more, every day.

The meaning behind this interpretation can be as shallow or as deep as you want it to be. As simple as finding a way to finally do something fun, instead of having to be just a cog in the business machine or hiding your real desires (the video expresses this viewpoint - the cog coming home and finally being able to reclaim himself from the work of the day and rock out on Cardboard Hero). A deeper meaning in the lyrics (which I think is closer to the intentions of the band, given who they are and the band's history) is finding purpose and reason in a meaningless and insane world, which makes you feel alive like nothing else can.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Well said!