Spelunky!

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
jfe2
Next-Gen

Spelunky!

Post by jfe2 »

I know the game is hard as balls, and although I've personally never beat it, I still play it all the time. It's so damn addictive... I'm on a serious Spelunky kick right now. Are there any other fans of Spelunky here?

Here's a link to the download page just in case anyone wants the free download.

*Edit: I just wanted to post this video. It made me laugh pretty hard, and any Spelunky fans should get a kick out of it.

*Edit #2: Figured I would post some thoughts on the game in case people are interested in playing.

It's basically a platform-adventure game that features randomly generated levels containing a myriad of enemies, and a shit-load of treasure to be had. The game obviously takes it's cues from Indiana Jones, as the main character dons the infamous fedora and whip, but apparently is also influenced by the popular indie platformer known as La-Mulana, which I recently downloaded, but have yet to play. There are tons of upgrade items to be found, but since you only have one life and there aren't any continues, the game is VERY difficult.

The character sprites are charming enough to keep you interested in the world that is presented, but the real reason that this game is so addicting is due to the unforgiving difficulty. You would think that a game that kills you so effortlessly, and doesn't think twice about giving you any checkpoints, extra lives, or continues, would frustrate to the point of insanity... but somehow it doesn't. You can progress five or six levels in before you die and have to start from scratch, but you don't get the sense that you haven't accomplished anything. Due to the randomly generated levels, you experience something different every time you play, and like any good old school platformer, the experience itself is what makes the game worth playing.
Last edited by jfe2 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Spelunky!

Post by CRTGAMER »

The ORGINAL ARCADE VERSION MAP
Cool thanks! Played original, now downloading ...................

Here's some Retro Remakes you might like:
http://www.unra.cn/psygames.php
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

That map is great! Thanks for the link too. There is some interesting stuff on there.
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Post by dedalusdedalus »

I like "Spelunky Man" better.
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

dedalusdedalus wrote:I like "Spelunky Man" better.

:lol:

That really made me laugh out loud. My wife thinks I'm nuts now!
dedalusdedalus
Next-Gen

Post by dedalusdedalus »

Eegra's like the Tao Te Ching. For every thread on RB, there's likely to be a relevant comic strip on Eegra and vice-versa.

OK, for example, check out the latest Eegra strip. There was totally an RB post that went along similar lines.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=17168
http://www.eegra.com/show/sub/do/browse ... mics/id/82

Uncanny, no?
jfe2
Next-Gen

Post by jfe2 »

I edited my main post with a mini-review for people who may be interested in the game. :)
chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

Bought this game when it came out for NES. It is very hard. Couldn't beat the second area when I was younger. Put it away only to be picked up 10 years later. I had just finished high school and was on a NES kick. I sat down for 3 hours and beat it. A great game once you get used to the mechanics and controls.

The music is amazing but hey it is Broderbund. Highly recommended. Guess I should try the original as the level designs in the NES game are slightly different.

Thanks for the post!
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

So this topic is about Spelunky, the game that looks like this:
or this:
Not Spelunker, the old arcade game that looks like this:

I love Spelunky, but prefer the new version to the old one. I never could get the hang of the original release, but the new one syncs with my playstyle. I originally thought the game was over after you get out of the mines, but man eating plants and frogs decided to have something different in store. I have not beaten the game, but can consistently get to the forest and have made it to the Ice area a handful of times (but do not have the gate open). Honestly I think I would play better with a 360 controller, but I do love playing it with my arcade stick.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

This game has a cult following with Spelunky Daily Challenges that people upload, pretty crazy.

http://spelunkyworld.com/dailychallenge/
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.