Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Yukima
32-bit
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Retr0bright de-yellowing experiment (with pics!)

by Yukima Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:18 pm

I mentioned a few days ago that I was trying out the Retr0bright de-yellowing process to de-yellow my Super Famicom console. Well, I'm finished! :mrgreen: And it worked perfectly! Basically, I mixed a solution of hydrogen peroxide and Oxi Clean, dismantled the SFC, soaked the plastic case in the solution, and left it out in the sun for approximately 10-12 hours. I took pictures along the way, and hopefully these will show up without causing massive 56K death... :roll: (Please excuse the crappy quality of some of these pics)

This was more or less how the top of the poor SFC looked like when I got it out of the box, attacked it with a gamebit, and carefully removed any extraneous plastic pieces that didn't need de-yellowing:
Image

A close-up of the yellowed area, with the "Nintendo" logo plate included for comparison:
Image

These were the tools and ingredients I used:
1. Six 32oz bottles of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (only 97 cents per bottle at Wal-Mart, and works just as well as the 30-40% H2O2 everyone recommends - 40% H2O2 is VERY dangerous if you don't know how to handle it. A 3% H2O2 solution is JUST FINE, and using a concentration higher than 10% is stupid, idiotic, and an unnecessary risk of your life and any others within a 10-foot radius of you... at least IMO)
2. 1/4 teaspoon of Oxi Clean
3. A relatively small plastic tub (with at least 10" x 10" area)
4. Nice, cold-ish weather to avoid plastic warping (approximately 40-50 degrees F)
5. SUNLIGHT!! Lots and lots of it! :twisted: (Best during the wintertime, when all the leaves are gone and skies are cloudless and the sun is like SUNNYZILLA!)
Image

Image

After about 5 hours on one sunny day and 5 more hours on another sunny day (I had to stop because it got dark at 4:30 pm, and the next day was rain) the top had reverted to a beautiful shade of gray. The bottom hadn't been done yet (I was driving myself nuts trying to get the circuit board off of it) but with both the top and bottom together, you could tell just how yellow the whole thing was:
Image

Image

I eventually managed to remove the electronics from the bottom (thanks to everyone here! :) ) and in the next few pictures you can see how much of a headache it was to take this sucker apart:
Image

Image

Aaaaaand... after soaking the bottom in the solution for another 10 or so hours, over the course of 2 days, the bottom was done! (There were at least 2-3 days of flood-inducing rain in between... :shock: Virginia's weather has been wacky lately...)

The end result:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Mission Accomplished! :mrgreen:
Retr0bright console de-yellowing guide:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17667
hiphophead34
24-bit
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:00 pm

Re: Retr0bright de-yellowing experiment (with pics!)

by hiphophead34 Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:31 pm

I've been meaning to try this on my SNES. You just inspired to get myself to walmart and pick up the stuff I need to make it happen.
User avatar
Original_Name
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1157
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:02 pm
Location: Nashville, TN

Re: Retr0bright de-yellowing experiment (with pics!)

by Original_Name Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:48 pm

hiphophead34 wrote:I've been meaning to try this on my SNES. You just inspired to get myself to walmart and pick up the stuff I need to make it happen.


Go to a locally-run hardware store to grab it - it would make Original_Name happy. :P
User avatar
bacteria
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1512
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2008 7:05 am
Location: Hampshire, England

Re: Retr0bright de-yellowing experiment (with pics!)

by bacteria Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:11 am

Nice guide.
I am the Bacman
User avatar
Anapan
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2905
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:15 am
Location: BC, Canada

Re: Retr0bright de-yellowing experiment (with pics!)

by Anapan Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:15 am

Congrats! I've been gathering the stuff for this for the past 3 days. I recently purchased a DMG gameboy that badly needs the treatment.
Where did you find the extra-strength (12%+) hydrogen peroxide? I got the glycerin, xanthin gum and Billy Mayes bucket-o-Oxy Clean, but the best hydrogen peroxide I can find is 5% and a hair bleach gel that didn't specify the percentage..
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Betamax001
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1357
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:47 pm
Location: United States

Re: Retr0bright de-yellowing experiment (with pics!)

by Betamax001 Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:43 am

Now I really want a GameBit screw so I can do this to my SNES...and I should probably wait till summer lest I want the liquid to freeze out in the cold harsh Chicago winter.
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001
Yukima
32-bit
 
Posts: 231
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Norfolk, VA

Re: Retr0bright de-yellowing experiment (with pics!)

by Yukima Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:32 am

Anapan wrote:Congrats! I've been gathering the stuff for this for the past 3 days. I recently purchased a DMG gameboy that badly needs the treatment.
Where did you find the extra-strength (12%+) hydrogen peroxide? I got the glycerin, xanthin gum and Billy Mayes bucket-o-Oxy Clean, but the best hydrogen peroxide I can find is 5% and a hair bleach gel that didn't specify the percentage..


I only used the regular 3% strength hydrogen peroxide - you can find it in any pharmacy! Once I found proof that it was possible to do this with 3% strength (two people on the Vintage Computing forums did it and it worked) I didn't bother finding anything stronger. After learning about H2O2 and how dangerous it could be at higher strengths (it can eat through your hands at 30-40% strength and be explosive as a bomb at 98% strength) I didn't want to risk anything. I didn't try making the gel, since what I had was small enough just to dump in a small tub full of solution.
Retr0bright console de-yellowing guide:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17667
User avatar
benderx
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: Retr0bright de-yellowing experiment (with pics!)

by benderx Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:18 am

Got to do this someday.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
User avatar
benderx
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: Retr0bright de-yellowing experiment (with pics!)

by benderx Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:20 am

I have found a lot of game gears and the games, but I'm not willing to waste batteries.
You took too long, now your candy's gone. That's What happens. Bkowwwww. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻)
User avatar
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6847
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:05 am
Location: Statesville, North Carolina

Re: Retr0bright de-yellowing experiment (with pics!)

by Mod_Man_Extreme Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:50 am

Yukima wrote:
Anapan wrote:Congrats! I've been gathering the stuff for this for the past 3 days. I recently purchased a DMG gameboy that badly needs the treatment.
Where did you find the extra-strength (12%+) hydrogen peroxide? I got the glycerin, xanthin gum and Billy Mayes bucket-o-Oxy Clean, but the best hydrogen peroxide I can find is 5% and a hair bleach gel that didn't specify the percentage..


I only used the regular 3% strength hydrogen peroxide - you can find it in any pharmacy! Once I found proof that it was possible to do this with 3% strength (two people on the Vintage Computing forums did it and it worked) I didn't bother finding anything stronger. After learning about H2O2 and how dangerous it could be at higher strengths (it can eat through your hands at 30-40% strength and be explosive as a bomb at 98% strength) I didn't want to risk anything. I didn't try making the gel, since what I had was small enough just to dump in a small tub full of solution.

Cool, but how did the labels on the bottom fare after the soaking?

I'm the kind of person who likes all of his stuff in good condition so I'd be scared to soak my SNES's bottom in fear of my labels coming off or disintegrating.
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.


Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests