Picking up an EDTV, curious if you have any exp. w/ the set.

Discuss Your Gaming Environments and AV Setups
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Picking up an EDTV, curious if you have any exp. w/ the set.

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

So im picking up a 27" Sony Trinitron WEGA Flat Screen EDTV for $85 in good condition tomorrow. I'm curious if any of you have had experience with this set. From what I've read, the speakers are wonderful (10 watt, virtual sorround (SRS 3D)). Has 1 component, 1 Svideo, 2 Composite, and 1 RF. It uses an FD-Trin. CRT which appearantly has great contrast. I want to know about reliability though, SONY usually has good building standards and CRT's are usually tough as tanks but is there anything to worry about color fading? clarity? etc. I just want some feedback. Sad part is the Gamecube component cables cost almost as much as the TV thats going to be using them.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
MyNESstayFR3SH
16-bit

Re: Picking up an EDTV, curious if you have any exp. w/ the set.

Post by MyNESstayFR3SH »

I know this dosen't answer your question but is that the going rate for flat screen EDTV's now-a-days cause if it is, I'll buy one just to play some systems on and my hdtv for the main ones. 89 dollars is a deal.
"I'm a addict for sneakers, twenties of Buddah's and bitches with beepers" - NAS: 'NY State of Mind'

Holla at me!
rainnyx4
24-bit

Post by rainnyx4 »

Sounds like my TV: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=11357

Though mine is an SDTV. Are you sure it's actually ED? Mine has component inputs but doesn't support 480p. It's about 5 years old now and I've had no problems with the color, clarity, etc.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

I see the large 16:9 go for upwards of 400 and smaller ones go around 100-200. 4:3 sets like the one I'm getting are a little cheaper ive seen. The one I'm getting goes on Amazon for around 200 but even on the top end of the price range its still an awesome deal considering you get a nice P-scan picture and the colors + contrast of a CRT. There was one that was 1080i but it was really heavy and was 16:9 which as far as CRT's go I have no room for.

I think I may end up getting this one: http://denver.craigslist.org/ele/1185590111.html
dmhs
8-bit

Post by dmhs »

I have a similar 32" 4:3 panasonic except mine is 1080i capable. The colors and picture are great. It is one heavy mofo though, you'll need at least two people to move it and something bigger than a Camry (which mine did not fit in). The only complaints I have are that it has a lot of overscan and it's on the dark side. It displays 480p very well which is what I bought it for.

But, at that price that TV is probably already gone. I bought mine, also in Denver, about 3 months ago and every time I waited to contact the seller they were already gone. When I bought mine the guy said he'd gotten 3 offers after mine but I was the first...
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

dmhs wrote:I have a similar 32" 4:3 panasonic except mine is 1080i capable. The colors and picture are great. It is one heavy mofo though, you'll need at least two people to move it and something bigger than a Camry (which mine did not fit in). The only complaints I have are that it has a lot of overscan and it's on the dark side. It displays 480p very well which is what I bought it for.

But, at that price that TV is probably already gone. I bought mine, also in Denver, about 3 months ago and every time I waited to contact the seller they were already gone. When I bought mine the guy said he'd gotten 3 offers after mine but I was the first...

I found a 1080i capable Samsung 32" for 100 and called the guy. Will be picking it up this weekend. :) the other guy with the Sony backed out of the deal as somebody offered to pick it up quiker than I could. Oh well, guess it was for the better.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

I keep looking at my craigslist for TVs, and I've never seen anything even under triple the price of what you're finding. I don't get it. It's like televisions are still considered space-age luxury items around here. Part of me wants to say that all those offers you're finding are actually busted ass sets, but I bet that's not the case. Very frustrating.

I'm just ganna keep using my Sanyo 480i 20 inch. It's the same set that the AVGN uses in all his videos, at least. I'm not paying $600 for a 27 inch HD CRT. I don't own a device that would even use HD resolutions.
Dakinggamer87
Next-Gen

Post by Dakinggamer87 »

Mozgus wrote:I keep looking at my craigslist for TVs, and I've never seen anything even under triple the price of what you're finding. I don't get it. It's like televisions are still considered space-age luxury items around here. Part of me wants to say that all those offers you're finding are actually busted ass sets, but I bet that's not the case. Very frustrating.

I'm just ganna keep using my Sanyo 480i 20 inch. It's the same set that the AVGN uses in all his videos, at least. I'm not paying $600 for a 27 inch HD CRT. I don't own a device that would even use HD resolutions.

I still see some of these older TVs pretty high too on craigslist... 8)
Odyssey,Vectrex,Atari 2600,5200,7800,Intellivision,Colecovision,NES,Master System,SNES,Genesis,32X,CD,CDX,Virtual Boy,TG-16,Neo-Geo AES,Jaguar+CD,PSX,PSOne,Saturn,3DO,N64,DC,PS2,Xbox,GCN,Wii,Xbox 360,PS3,GB,GB Pocket,GBC,Lynx,Game Gear,Nomad,NGPC,GBA,GBA SP,GB Micro,DS,PSP,PSP Slim,WS,WS Color,3DS,Vita,PC,iPhone,WiiU
A/V:55" Samsung 3D LED TV, Onkyo 7.1 TX-SR605 HTS
My gaming collection
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Colorado, especially Boulder and Denver, are very forward moving cities as far as technology goes. Im Missouri I would never be able to find these this cheap, but here, there are tons.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Colorado, especially Boulder and Denver, are very forward moving cities as far as technology goes. Im Missouri I would never be able to find these this cheap, but here, there are tons.

I fully expect to see a city-wide riot on June 12. You won't believe how many people still don't understand, or even know about the digital switch.