Definitive Fighting Game Versions!

Brawlers and Beatemups
skate323k137
Next-Gen

Re: Definitive Fighting Game Versions!

Post by skate323k137 »

I'm honestly not positive the difference of the LE DC release.

I'm not saying we should exclude games that never were arcade releases. I just think that if we're going for closest to arcade version for those that were arcade games, the DC version of DOA2 at least deserves to be on the list.
Need FreeMCboot? I'll install it on your PS2 Memory Card for free if you cover postage both ways.
Consoles: I have too much stuff
Arcade: No seriously, I have too much stuff. Someone grab a shovel and dig me out of my basement.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

I'm honestly not positive the difference of the LE DC release.

I'm not saying we should exclude games that never were arcade releases. I just think that if we're going for closest to arcade version for those that were arcade games, the DC version of DOA2 at least deserves to be on the list.

Differences include but perhaps not limited to...
- CG art gallery showcasing the DOA girls.
- Kasumi's pony tail is no longer braided like in DOA1 and original DOA2. Now straightend pony tail.
- New (quick) character select portrait for Kasumi (looks much improved IMO).
- Brand new alt. outfits for the majority of the cast (especially the ladies).
- New CG cutscenes integrated in Story mode (Jan Lee Story for example, unravels differently).
- Option to train in Tag battle mode (original release DOA2 only allows for 1on1 training if I recall).
- 1 new hidden character added to the roster. Bayman.
- Tweaked gameplay that reflects the more up to date Naomi release of DOA2 Millenium.
- New moves added to certain characters.

OK now that your question is out of the way... you may not be saying to exclude console specific fighters but I may have to for the time being simply because I'm already biting more than I can chew. The OP original intention of definitive dealt with arcade accuracy (or at least the closest to arcade accurate one could hope to own on a home console). With that said, I totally agree with you man. Look at my revised list suggestion and I clearly mention DOA2 on DC should have top billing on the list as the best most definitive home port of the arcade.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

CD AGES wrote:Differences include but perhaps not limited to...
- CG art gallery showcasing the DOA girls.
- Kasumi's pony tail is no longer braided like in DOA1 and original DOA2. Now straightend pony tail.
- New (quick) character select portrait for Kasumi (looks much improved IMO).
- Brand new alt. outfits for the majority of the cast (especially the ladies).
- New CG cutscenes integrated in Story mode (Jan Lee Story for example, unravels differently).
- Option to train in Tag battle mode (original release DOA2 only allows for 1on1 training if I recall).
- 1 new hidden character added to the roster. Bayman.
- Tweaked gameplay that reflects the more up to date Naomi release of DOA2 Millenium.
- New moves added to certain characters.

That for the LE release specifically or just the JP DC release? I was wondering since the Hardcoregaming101 writeup says the only difference between the simultaneous standard and "LE" releases was the cover. Also seems to indicate that Millenium was based on changes in the console versions, though maybe that depends on the source.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Edit!: As far as your question is concerned, My curiosity has peaked. I will investigate this further. Until then, regard it as differences between general JPN release of DOA2 to other region releases on the same platform.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

YES! A little slow. The mere fact that you say the slowdown makes the game unplayable is simply rediculous and rather halarious all the while!

Update regarding UMK3 ports

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=40709
vlame
Next-Gen

Post by vlame »

CD AGES wrote:
YES! A little slow. The mere fact that you say the slowdown makes the game unplayable is simply rediculous and rather halarious all the while!

Update regarding UMK3 ports

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=40709

Interesting
^^ My Available List ^^
My B/S/T list
I also rent and sell PS2, Wii and XBOX softmod-kits and I collect DVD movies let me know what you have.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Interesting

Quite. Just wanted to put to rest on the quality of both ports. If you found that comparison review inciteful, check out my comparison reviews for other great fighters like Marvel Super Heroes and SF Alpha 2 on the same section on the forum. I look forward to any feedback.
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

Following games can be forced to 480p with gsm
-Capcom Classics Collection PS2
-SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 PS2
-World Heoes Gorgeous PS2
-Mortal Kombat Deception "Premium Pack" PS2
-The compilation that has MKII for PS2
There aren´t any arcade games that run interlaced, so by forcing it to 480p you will have a more definitive version.

Also some of the 3D games can be forced to widescreen through hex edits and pnach codebreaker files. That will in fact not make them definitive version, but it will improve the experience. Don´t like 3D fighting games in general so look for yourself.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
SaturnHST
24-bit

Post by SaturnHST »

I'm pretty sure that Capcom Classics Collection on PS2 has the PS1 ports of SF2/SF2CE/SF2T, and I noticed that the Saturn version (Capcom Generation 5) has slightly faster loading times than the PS1 version. I've never played the Xbox version of CCC so I'm not sure if that one has reduced load times.

Also, you should note that the JP version of KoF Orochi Collection is the one to get for KoF 95/96/97. The US version has some slight slowdown especially on KoF 98.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

SaturnHST wrote:I'm pretty sure that Capcom Classics Collection on PS2 has the PS1 ports of SF2/SF2CE/SF2T, and I noticed that the Saturn version (Capcom Generation 5) has slightly faster loading times than the PS1 version. I've never played the Xbox version of CCC so I'm not sure if that one has reduced load times.

Also, you should note that the JP version of KoF Orochi Collection is the one to get for KoF 95/96/97. The US version has some slight slowdown especially on KoF 98.

Yes it does, but the games on CCC on PS2 are perhaps the worst as these ports load twice (before and after matches), where games on Vol2 PS1 and Xbox CCC only load once before matches. That may be with regards to the Saturn port, but also consider that the PS1 game loads significantly faster when played on a PS2 system (as a matter of fact, the load times destroy the PS2 CCC SF2 games). Whether loading is faster compared to the Saturn version, is something I can not say as I have not played it on that platform. Load times on the Xbox are essentially nonexistent (loading screen appears for about half a second lol!).

Regarding the KOF stuff. I've made similar comments a few posts ago.