First game you ever beat

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
AppleQueso

Re: First game you ever beat

Post by AppleQueso »

Inazuma wrote:
Limewater wrote:
Inazuma wrote:Same here. I am pretty sure the first game I beat was Super Mario USA (I am gonna assume you are talking about the American Mario 2 game). I played a lot of Super Mario Brothers but never actually beat it.

Hey, now. It was called Super Mario Bros. 2 by Nintendo before it was called Super Mario USA. Doesn't that mean that it's a fact that the "real" name is Super Mario Bros. 2?

Confusion is annoying isn't it? We know now that our Mario 2 wasn't the real Mario 2. Same deal with our Final Fantasy 2 and 3.

If you say Mario 2, you should be talking about the real Mario 2. If you want to call the American Mario 2 that, you need to mention that it's the American version so other people can understand you better.

Same deal with the American Final Fantasy 2 and 3 games. If you want to use the American titles, you need to let us know, otherwise we will assume you are actually talking about Final Fantasy 2 and 3.

In the case of Mario 2, the game was released as "Super Mario Bros. 2" in pretty much every english-speaking country that I'm aware of. When discussing this game on a forum full of english speaking users, saying "Super Mario Bros. 2 (US Version)" is completely unnecessary. I'd argue it's more necessary to specify when you're referring to the japanese version.

The Final Fantasy games are different, because they've been going by their proper Japanese numbers in countless re-releases for a while now.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

AppleQueso wrote:
In the case of Mario 2, the game was released as "Super Mario Bros. 2" in pretty much every english-speaking country that I'm aware of. When discussing this game on a forum full of english speaking users, saying "Super Mario Bros. 2 (US Version)" is completely unnecessary. I'd argue it's more necessary to specify when you're referring to the japanese version.

The Final Fantasy games are different, because they've been going by their proper Japanese numbers in countless re-releases for a while now.

this.
yomomma1
128-bit

Post by yomomma1 »

But final fantasy 3 has since then been re-released as final fantasy 6 in America. As far as I know super mario bros 2 is still super mario bros 2 in America. It is also what people think of when you say Super Mario bros. 2 in America.

Edit: ^^ ....Dangit
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

But ever since Square started numbering the Final Fantasy games correctly and started releasing ports of the unpublished games in the west, everyone has called Final Fantasy 4 and 6 with their correct numbers.

On the other hand The Lost Levels have never seen a release outside SM All Stars and the VC, so even though many people know it exists, very few people have played it. On the other hand many people have played Super Mario Bros 2 (The Western version that is). So that's why it has been established among retro gamers to call Final Fantasy games with their correct names, but to call Super Marios Bros USA, Super Mario Bros 2.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
sevin0seven
Next-Gen

Post by sevin0seven »

noiseredux wrote:
AppleQueso wrote:

this.

as for me, since i played SMB2 (lost levels) first that was always the part 2 for me. when i moved here to the states, that's when i started playing the SMB2 "USA" version. so it's the other way around for me.
Visit my stores: Mercari Store, sevin0seven RacketBoy Marketplace
Bay Area Cali: Meet-up Thread
Custom Art Covers & Labels: Click here
Game Room: Click here
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Either Sonic the Hedgehog or Spyro the Dragon. My memory is pretty horrible. I'm going to put my money that it was Spyro first though, considering I had it for a decent amount of time before I got Sonic.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Technically you can't 'beat' it since it loops, but Speeday on Odyssey 2. Like PacMan it had a set pattern. I memorized the pattern and could loop it endlessly. First game with a definite ending would be either Bruce Lee, Commando, or Ghostbusters on C64.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Post by emwearz »

Hard to remember but my guess would be The Secret of Monkey Island, I use to play a lot of P&C adventures with my dad, but I think MI was the first one I beat on my own.
Inazuma
Next-Gen

Post by Inazuma »

I understand what you guys are saying about Mario 2. Being wrong a million times is more powerful than being right one time.

The correct way to pronounce the word "forte", meaning "one's strong point" is fort. However, so many people incorrectly pronounced it as fortay. So much so, that it ended up also being a correct pronunciation, and being added to the dictionary. Even though fort is still a correct pronunciation, it will be perceived as incorrect by the ignorant majority. Fort went from being correct to incorrect, all because the intelligent people were vastly outnumbered by ignorant people.

I really hate when stuff like this happens and I don't like to lower myself to their level, even if I am vastly outnumbered. You guys can continue to call the game Mario 2 and you are "right" because most people agree with you and it is the official name in the USA. I will specify it's a USA game because it is not actually Mario 2. All of us are right in different ways. I am actually right thanks to truth. You guys are right because there are many ignorant people who agree with you.

While it sounds like I am calling all of you idiots, that's not exactly right. If there are enough idiots who support each other, they stop being idiots, and can actually turn someone like me who sticks to the truth into the idiot.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

Inazuma wrote:
noiseredux wrote:My best guess is that the first game I ever beat was Super Mario Bros 2 (NES). I'm not certain, but I really can't think of any game I owned earlier than that that I can remember beating.

Same here. I am pretty sure the first game I beat was Super Mario USA (I am gonna assume you are talking about the American Mario 2 game). I played a lot of Super Mario Brothers but never actually beat it.

Considering he said it was for the NES, there is only one possibility. Only one called called "Super Mario Bros. 2" was released on it. I think having "NES" after it makes it clear which game is being mentioned. I would say that it does need some kind of identifier with it, be it "NES" or "USA" or "Official ドキドキパニック Hack".

Donkey Kong (TI-99/4A) was the first game that I can remember "beating". Doesn't it just loop?

The first game I beat with an actual ending was Super Mario Bros. I can even remember the next two: Metroid and Mega Man 2.
Last edited by Breetai on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.