Spelunky!

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Spelunky!

Post by fastbilly1 »

So I loaded up Spelunky for the first time in over a month last night, waiting for buddies to get online, and it solidified my thoughts on the game. It is perfection for a platformer. There are rarely cheap deaths, it is speed based risk/reward. You can take a fall into an area you cant see, but you do not know if there is a dart trap down there, or man eating plant, or Anubis...

I had a dozen runs in thirty minutes, got to the temple twice. Every injury was analyzed and they were all because I was playing too loose. Like carrying a pot instead of a rock, then throwing the pot without jumping causing the snake in it to get a free hit. Simply perfection.

noiseredux wrote:I'm so cheap w/ my loot. Usually the only things I will buy is extra bombs. I've never used the jetpack, though it could be smart given how quickly my game goes downhill when I hit the first ice level.

SPEND ALL OF YOUR MONEY. It will not help you when you die. Until you beat the game a couple times and can play without items, buy everything you can to test them. Sure the camera is useless, BUT, you wont know that unless you use it.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I still need the HD version, but Spelunky is easily one of my favorite games of the last ten years.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

noiseredux wrote:I still need the HD version, but Spelunky is easily one of my favorite games of the last ten years.

+1. And if you add "handheld" it is my favorite game of the last ten years.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Stark wrote:
noiseredux wrote:I still need the HD version, but Spelunky is easily one of my favorite games of the last ten years.

+1. And if you add "handheld" it is my favorite game of the last ten years.

It is the only reason I have thought about buying a Vita.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I'm super into Spelunky again. I played the Classic version for many, many, many hours last year. Now I'm obsessed w/ the HD remake. Hardcore. Seriously think it is one of the absolute best games of the last decade. It's amazing to me that after hoursss of play I'm still seeing things that just shock me.

Last night I made it to 4-1 for the first time ever. It was scary.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

noiseredux wrote:I'm super into Spelunky again. I played the Classic version for many, many, many hours last year. Now I'm obsessed w/ the HD remake. Hardcore. Seriously think it is one of the absolute best games of the last decade. It's amazing to me that after hoursss of play I'm still seeing things that just shock me.

Last night I made it to 4-1 for the first time ever. It was scary.

Well done. Spelunky is just freaking excellent. No two ways about it.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Stark wrote:Well done. Spelunky is just freaking excellent. No two ways about it.

thanks man. It felt awesome because I had never gotten to 3-2 prior. But I lucked out and found a f'ing shotgun buried in like 2-1, AND I had a compass. Those two things made the world 3 levels much much easier. But I had no idea what to expect going forward. As much as I adore this game, I intentionally try to not research anything I haven't been exposed to organically yet. I love the surprises that get thrown at you even after dozens of hours of play.
Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

noiseredux wrote:
Stark wrote:Well done. Spelunky is just freaking excellent. No two ways about it.

thanks man. It felt awesome because I had never gotten to 3-2 prior. But I lucked out and found a f'ing shotgun buried in like 2-1, AND I had a compass. Those two things made the world 3 levels much much easier. But I had no idea what to expect going forward. As much as I adore this game, I intentionally try to not research anything I haven't been exposed to organically yet. I love the surprises that get thrown at you even after dozens of hours of play.

Prot-tip: jetpack + shotty for the win!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

noiseredux wrote:

It took me a while to notice with the Eye of Adjet/X-ray glasses, but under the tombstone marked "Ash" (Like Evil Dead) there's ALWAYS buried a shotgun ;)

I played many MANY hours of original free-ware Spelunky, and got ALL of the achievements/trophy things. I've sunk not quite as many into the Vita version, but damn that game is so good. I'll get to the underworld one of these days ;_;
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ash... Brilliant!