NEC --- If you could have any 30 games on your shelf

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
marurun

Re: NEC --- If you could have any 30 games on your shelf

Post by marurun »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
marurun wrote:Emerald Dragon
Best version of the game. Translation just getting started at pcenginefx.

How is it better than the Super Famicom version?

The SFC version is supposedly based on the PCE version, but I've heard all sorts of reports of gameplay adjustments and even a few broken mechanics that render the game way too easy and open to abuse.

I should adjust my comment, though. Best console version. I've heard that the FM Towns version is considered the best overall rendition of the game, at least by the game's publisher. That said, the PCE version and the SFC port of that version feature some story changes that some folks like over the various computer versions.

Here's a glowing review of the PCE version:

http://www.honestgamers.com/3140/turbog ... eview.html
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Thanks. I may try it out. I still need to try the PCE ports of Brandish and Popful Mail too.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Here are some more for discussion that are showing up on a lot of "best of" lists i'm seeing; please comment if they are top 30 in your opinion(s):

Atomic Robo Kid
Adventure Island
Avenger
Battle Lode Runner
Bloody Wolf
Bomberman 94'
Boxy Boy
Cotton Fantastic Nights Dreams
Daimakamura
Daisenpu Custom
Demon's World
Devil Crash
Fantasy Star Soldier
Final Soldier
Forgotten Worlds
Gulliver Boy
Hana Taka Daka
Hany in the Sky
Hany on the Road
Hellfire S
Legend of Hero Tonma
Monster Lair (Wonder boy III)
1943 Kai
New Adventure Island
New Zealand Story
Ordyne
Outrun
Pop 'n Magic
R-Type
Rabio Lepus
Raiden
Super Raiden
Super Star Soldier
Sylphia
Valkyrie no Densetsu
Violent Soldier
Volfied
Wataru
Ghudda
128-bit

Post by Ghudda »

This thread is really making me fear for my pockets in the future. I probably don't know the cost of half of these games, and I don't really want to. Really cool to have a list like this though, nonetheless.

edit: I really need to obtain a copy of Akumajo Dracula X :?
B/S/TCollectionYouTube

test3
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Dragon's Curse is part of the same series as Monster Lair. In my opinion Dragon's Curse is the much better game, not sure we'd need both on a list.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

I'm just gonna give my opinion on some stuff.

Atomic Robo Kid - I haven't played the PCE version. The GEN version is ok, but nothing special IMHO.
Daisenpu Custom - Every comparison I've seen says this is worse than the regular card version. There are definitely bizarre graphical downgrades in places. I only have the regular for PCE and MD. It is a fun game, but not one of Toaplan's best.
Devil Crash - Fantastic pinball game. May be a problem for you with the demonic themes and pentagrams. Toned down for western realase just a hair.
Final Soldier - As with the other soldier games, awesome.
Hany in the Sky - I see praise for this, but the one time I played it for a little bit, I wasn't impressed at all.
R-Type - Great port of course, though if you have something that plays PS1 games, might as well just get R-Types so you have both games and display it on your widescreen TV which ends up being pretty damn close to proper aspect compared to the arcade.
Rabio Lepus - Difficult shmup, is ok.
Super Star Soldier - As with the other soldier games, awesome.
Valkyrie no Densetsu - Fun overhead run and gun from the bit I've played, but I haven't delved into it enough to know if it's awesome or not. FYI the arcade version is on PS1 Namco Museum Vol 5.
Violent Soldier - An ok shmup. (This is not related to the 'Soldier' series of games in any way).
Volfied - It is a Qix sequel and can be found on Taito Legends or on GEN as Ultimate Qix.
mjmjr25

Post by mjmjr25 »

Is Violent Soldier not one of the "Soldier" games then (based on the others being awesome and this one as just ok)?

Good to know on Dragon's Curse...

Anyone play Daimakaimura...better than the MD? It's nearly 3x the price...so wondering if just a collectibility thing or if it's truly that much better of a port?

List is slowly forming out - but nowhere near set in stone...keep offering up ideas, please.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

mjmjr25 wrote:Is Violent Soldier not one of the "Soldier" games then (based on the others being awesome and this one as just ok)?

No, it has nothing to do with the other 'Soldier' games. I imagine that's why it was renamed Sinistron here.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

so this one is pretty much dead?

Alien Crush should be on the list, I think. Summer Carnival too. I think a couple of us argued for Psychosis and Terraforming. I still think that Space Invaders Fukkatsu No Hi and Galaga 88/90 are pretty special/unique entries in those series.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Bloody Wolf is decent. It's less like Contra and more like Midnight Resistance, though not really a lot like that, either. Does have a very Data East vibe (since it is a DE game).

I second Galaga 88/90. Awesome game.

Alien Crush should only be had if you decide you love Devil's Crush. If you find DC to be just OK, skip AC.

Bomberman '94 is exactly the same game as Mega Bomberman. I think it's a better version of the game, but if you're gonna get only 1 bman game on the console, go for '93.

Daimakaimura is a Supergrafx game, so it won't work on any other NEC console. I suspect you're not getting into the market with an SGX.

You know, if you are curious about a game, there are lots of longplays on YouTube via World of Longplays. Also, I often use emulation to determine if I want a physical copy of a game.

Here are some good review sources to help you decide:

http://www.thebrothersduomazov.com/

https://www.youtube.com/user/spida1a/
This guy does video reviews of TG/PCE games and occasionally of pinball machines.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.