Saturn Street Fighter Collection something is really off...

Brawlers and Beatemups
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Re: Saturn Street Fighter Collection something is really off

Post by CD AGES »

Is this the case with the import version of Street Fighter Collection? I've owned it for quite some time now but I've only ever really spent time playing Alpha 2 Gold....

Then please, don't let anyone tell you otherwise and find out for yourself. Pop in that disc 1 and Play "Super Turbo" (hopefully at tournament standard Turbo 3 setting). It's mainly Super Turbo that drops the quality of this collection down.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

pierrot wrote:I can't speak for everyone else, but I'd be interested. Sometimes I don't mind playing inferior ports, but I trust your assessments, and find them to be wildly informative.

Thanks for the feedback!
Same here! I don't mind playing what can easily be seen as inferior ports of fighters myself either. Truth be told, as a youngster, I spent more time on inferior fighting ports (PS1 Vs. series etc) than the actual perfect Arcade version, as it was the only version my family could afford. I recall defending PS1 port of MSH vs SF here on the forum on one occasion. Regardless of it major setback of true tag team modes, Capcom made a MAJOR improvement when compared to its predecessor.
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

I spent YEARS YEARS on just the SNES Street Fighter Alpha 2. Honestly that's probably the Best port Capcom ever did for the SNES. It was slow yes, and had load times but the fact they pulled it off at all with Minimal color loss is amazing.
pakopako
Next-Gen

Post by pakopako »

TheRev wrote:I spent YEARS YEARS on just the SNES Street Fighter Alpha 2. Honestly that's probably the Best port Capcom ever did for the SNES. It was slow yes, and had load times but the fact they pulled it off at all with Minimal color loss is amazing.
I won't argue that it's a technical marvel, but so were Resident Evil 2 and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 on the N64 -- it doesn't mean they were better than the CD versions of the games.
My scheduling skills have died of dysentery; I hope to visit at least on a monthly basis.
Still, don't forget to tip your waitress.
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

pakopako wrote:
TheRev wrote:I spent YEARS YEARS on just the SNES Street Fighter Alpha 2. Honestly that's probably the Best port Capcom ever did for the SNES. It was slow yes, and had load times but the fact they pulled it off at all with Minimal color loss is amazing.
I won't argue that it's a technical marvel, but so were Resident Evil 2 and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 on the N64 -- it doesn't mean they were better than the CD versions of the games.

RE2 is actually pretty comparable to the CD versions. Only issue it had was the compression on the FMVs.
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

pakopako wrote:I won't argue that it's a technical marvel, but so were Resident Evil 2 and Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 on the N64 -- it doesn't mean they were better than the CD versions of the games.

I never said it was better, It was just adequate.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

I can say that Zero 3 on Saturn is really good; but there is the issue of price.

I ran both it and the DC version at the same time on my CRT with identical characters and stages, and the only noticeable difference I saw was that the sprites on the characters for DC looked smaller and almost kinda squished.

Other than that, I can't really offer anymore from my perspective. IMO, the DC port doesn't seem to be lacking in the actual gameplay department, barring any weird technical stuff I wouldn't pick up on.
TheRev
128-bit

Post by TheRev »

foxhound1022 wrote:I can say that Zero 3 on Saturn is really good; but there is the issue of price.

I ran both it and the DC version at the same time on my CRT with identical characters and stages, and the only noticeable difference I saw was that the sprites on the characters for DC looked smaller and almost kinda squished.

Other than that, I can't really offer anymore from my perspective. IMO, the DC port doesn't seem to be lacking in the actual gameplay department, barring any weird technical stuff I wouldn't pick up on.

I'm buying the Saturn Zero 3 with a jar of change.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

That's because that IS how the sprites look, more or less on original CPS II hardware. I find it strange that people seem to be completely unaware to the fact that most Capcom fighters on the Saturn were designed to run on a Zoomed up picture quality which is the reason why character sprites appear larger and more wider. While many find this to be a good thing... I personally have a disdain for it simply because the picture quality does not match that of its arcade brethren. Even more unfortunate as a result, a chunk of what should appear visible onscreen is cut off from the left and right end of the screen. This becomes more apparent with the alterations that had to be done to the in game HUD of certain fighting titles to compensate for such a flawed design choice. It honestly feels like a major flaw to me.