connection-speeds

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

Re: connection-speeds

Post by EvilRyu2099 »

I decided to test a Chicago server for the hell of it..

PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!
CFFJR
Next-Gen

Post by CFFJR »

I'm amazed at Lord Santa's speed (and D.D.D.'s for that matter).

As wimpy as mine seems, I never have any problems. Downloads are fast enough for my taste, and online games never have any lag.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

Post by EvilRyu2099 »

I'm still curious of why the hell my upload is huge... My download rate may be inaccurate because I run a wireless router to 3-4 computers..
PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!
Betamax001
Next-Gen

Post by Betamax001 »

Ours is pretty good, but our allotment is only 250 GB a month. I'm not in the know about how much we pay though. Also this is at my house, NOT in my dorm room. My dorm room is alot worse.
NES, SNES, PS1, N64, DC, PS2, GCN, Wii, PS3, 360, GB, GBC, GBA, GBA SP, PSP 3000, and 3DS XL

PSN ID: SaturnXMKII
Steam ID: betamax001
t0yrobo
Next-Gen

Post by t0yrobo »

Here's mine.

I'm probably going to change plans soon because this connection just isn't worth the money. I'm either going to dsl or wimax because it's the only way I can get away from Comcast where I live. God I hate those bastards.
Bradtemple87
Next-Gen

Post by Bradtemple87 »

t0yrobo wrote: it's the only way I can get away from Comcast where I live. God I hate those bastards.

Yes they are the evil empire
MY Sale/Trade Thread
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27739
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

t0yrobo wrote:I'm probably going to change plans soon because this connection just isn't worth the money. I'm either going to dsl or wimax because it's the only way I can get away from Comcast where I live. God I hate those bastards.

At least you have choices and your Comcast is loads faster than my shit DSL.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

CFFJR wrote:I'm amazed at Lord Santa's speed (and D.D.D.'s for that matter).

As wimpy as mine seems, I never have any problems. Downloads are fast enough for my taste, and online games never have any lag.

My up/down is supposed to be 100Mbps each way but the best I've ever gotten is 90 down & 50 up. Though most everyone stateside has faster Internet speed than I did when I left. I had 6Mbps down and 512k up but never ever got anywhere near that.
Now to put Lord Santa & my speed to shame, where is someone from South Korea? I think (moltovwars) lives there but I don't remember. S.Korea is the fastest in the world IIRC.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

My internet is intermittent since we have a big storm coming. Typically I get 10 down and about 1.5 up. At work I get 100 down 30 up, at the old office it was 100 down 73 up - it helps when you have gigabit to an os3 connection to the fiber backbone for our city.

Ive recently learned why there is usually one cable company in an area and it is pretty simple when you think about it. Most cable companies do not own their own poles, they are owned by power and phone companies. By law power is at the top, 48 inches below power is where you can mount anything, coax has to be 12 inches above telephone, and telephone has to be a certain distance above the ground (depending on the area). So when you only have a 20 ft pole - 15 feet goes to clearance, 4 feet goes to power, leaving you 1 foot to play with. And since all utilities have to be a foot apart, you can do the math.

Where it really gets complicated is say the pole is owned by ATT, and doesnt have power on it - say going to an office building. They might put in a pole at 10 feet and run their lines on top, then to get coax on it they have to have the pole replaced. Thats only 2k-15k per pole.
t0yrobo
Next-Gen

Post by t0yrobo »

Hobie-wan wrote:
t0yrobo wrote:I'm probably going to change plans soon because this connection just isn't worth the money. I'm either going to dsl or wimax because it's the only way I can get away from Comcast where I live. God I hate those bastards.

At least you have choices and your Comcast is loads faster than my shit DSL.

To not have to deal with Comcast I'm going to take a pretty considerable drop in speed. DSL can only go so fast and from what I hear the wimax in my area is hit and miss (it uses Sprints network for whatever that's worth). But it's the principle damnit! I don't need to give Comcast my money so they can treat me like shit and try to screw me over.