Ristar: Together Retro Discussion

Join in on our classic gaming club!
jemsic
24-bit

Post by jemsic »

Mozgus wrote:
jemsic_ wrote:First off, I've never played Ristar.

But so far, I'm pretty impressed! I don't know if Ristar could've replace Sonic as Sega's mascot, but it sure is a colorful game.

The first boss, Riho, is pretty well imagined. Looks like some kinda magician with a demon puyo attached to his brain, lol.

After you beat the first boss level, you fly out of the atmosphere and they play the StarFox music, lol.

Dunno about "Starfox music" but the level transitions were my favorite part of the game. Also, where have I seen the alias Jemsic before?

You're telling me you don't hear the resemblance to the SNES Starfox level transition? Not only do you leave the atmosphere and fly into space, but the music sounds REALLY similar.

So far I'm on the music-themed world. Can't remember if that's the 4th or 5th.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

jemsic wrote:You're telling me you don't hear the resemblance to the SNES Starfox level transition? Not only do you leave the atmosphere and fly into space, but the music sounds REALLY similar.

That's what I'm saying. I dont hear any similarity.

Also, anyone who wants my rip of Ristar's music:

http://www.stevemv.com/forum/ristar-gam ... p-t51.html
Ivo
Next-Gen

Re: Ristar

Post by Ivo »

ott0bot wrote:
Ivo wrote:Reading from the TR posting description, it says that Ristar can throw the enemies? I can only grab and smash into them? Also those handles you go around on, from some of their placements I have a feeling I should be able to gain more height than I just grabbing and launching from it once - can you do that, and if so, how?

You gotta keep tapping forward (or back, depending which direction you're spining) until little blue sparkles form around him. Then let go of the grab button and he will fly like a rocket for a brief time. This is pertty much essential for you to find most of the hidden areas.

So that is why I didn't find the other secret areas :P

Will need to restart then.

Ivo.
The Devil Made Flesh

Post by The Devil Made Flesh »

Hello everyone new to the forum here, I thought the game club was a cool idea, but didn't have the previous games. I have the genesis collection and never got around to Ristar. I played a quick 30 minute game this morning and got to the end of the third planet. Pretty fun game with intresting mechanics, takes some getting uesed like some have already said. The title screens for the stages really remind me of Sonic. Looking forward to playing this more tonight.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Welcome -- yeah, those screens do look very Sonic-like, but Ristar is made by Sonic Team as well.

Tonight I've been playing it on my Genesis (instead of emulation) and I'm liking it much better.
My Saturn controller-to-USB didn't feel quite as right. Not sure.

But, as expected, there is a great feel to having the real thing going -- even if it means having extension cables going across my living room :)
marurun

Post by marurun »

I like how reminiscent the music is of NiGHTS, particularly some of the bass lines. Ristar is sort of an in-between game which, in a way, links Sonic more solidly to NiGHTS.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

marurun wrote:I like how reminiscent the music is of NiGHTS, particularly some of the bass lines. Ristar is sort of an in-between game which, in a way, links Sonic more solidly to NiGHTS.

That occured to me as well.
The thing that reminded me of it the most was the part after you beat the boss and you fling up into space and it has the little soaring/flying animation.
Ivo
Next-Gen

Post by Ivo »

I reckon I'll just go on and finish it on the N-Gage and then try to emulate it "properly" with KEGA on the PC, hear the music and see if I can find all the secret levels when I have more time.

Ivo.
Rababunny

Post by Rababunny »

I remember playing this on my genesis a long time ago and not appreciating it. Now I've loaded it on to my xbox for emulation and am having a blast!

There are quite a few annoyances with the controls and level design though. But the bosses and level themes manage to keep things fresh.

PS: I am loving this recommended games thing, I've been following along bu have not registered for the forums until now. Would it be possible to get one a week going?
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Rababunny wrote:Would it be possible to get one a week going?

Welcome to the forum!
However, I'm not quite sure what you mean by your last question....