Ultimate NES replacement?

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Ultimate NES replacement?

Post by dsheinem »

ExedExes wrote:
wclem wrote:Doesn't the Retron 5 kind of kill this? Too me this thing is pointless.

Makes NES games look amazing, I'll give it that.

how is the lag in this compared that that in the Retron 5?
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Since it is a copycat of the NES internally but does 1080p through the HDMI port, essentially it should be equal to the Retron5. Lag will entirely depend on your TV and its internal mechanisms in handling the image. Since it like the R5 won't have to make the TV convert a low signal to a level it can put to the TV both avoid that added layer of pain.

I'm betting that this $500 system uses some FGPA setup inside, another system should probably be out this year that does this too and some other junk being a third choice, but like this $500 box it is NES only. The R5 could in theory have some emulation hiccups that could make the framerate wiggle at some point but it's not likely. I've seen stories of if you don't try and jump the image with stretching and turning off forcing native resolution that can happen, but if you set it to normal and force original resolution the potential for the issue is gone. The thing is I haven't seen it really tested more than assumed or felt by flawed humans. :P
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

Post by ninjainspandex »

I had Apolloboy RGB mod my toploader recently for about half the cost of this NT unit, does everything it does too including the expansion sound and I can play Famicom Disk System games from my Everdrive. Minus the HDMI but that is what the Framemiester or even a cheap RGB to HDMI upscaler is for.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

Post by foxhound1022 »

I used to be a machinist, so I know the processes that go into making something like the casing. They could have gone a much cheaper route as far as that goes, but I know that the guys at AI are about making unique, high-quality products.

I won't deny that the price is somewhat staggering, but I also tip my hat to the guys that have such a passion for what they do to undertake a project like this.

I'm just afraid with so many other avenues to play upscaled NES/FC games on at much cheaper prices, that the scrutiny will only continue.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Tanooki wrote:I'm betting that this $500 system uses some FGPA setup inside

It uses parts scavenged from yellowed Famicoms.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

Wow that's just unacceptable mutilating old systems for their overpriced metal box. Uncool. Bad enough with bootleggers chop shop an old cart, but this takes down a whole system.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Tanooki wrote:Wow that's just unacceptable mutilating old systems for their overpriced metal box. Uncool. Bad enough with bootleggers chop shop an old cart, but this takes down a whole system.

We had a big discussion of this, and I think that chopping old yellowed, cracked, and otherwise non-selling Famicom systems to make something much nicer is perfectly defensible. These are systems that have been sitting in warehouses and are not likely to be purchased. I mean, even if you look at eBay you'll see plenty of unsold and potentially functional Famicoms that look like hell and aren't being bought even at cheap prices (e.g. here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Famico ... 7675.l2557 and here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Famico ... 43cc3a1983).
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I can see it on cracked systems, but yellow can be fixed with some retrobrite.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

The original famis are also RF out only, and are a medium difficult to mod to composite out - unless you are familiar with desoldering resistors.

I am not defending the choice to use original chips just pointing it out. I plan on buying a RetroUSB AVS and an Retron5. I will get an AnalogueNT down the road, if I can afford it.
IrishNinja
64-bit

Post by IrishNinja »

+1 to the camp that points to RGB modding an NES (superior board is now available without gutting a playchoice-10, cheaper too) & getting an everdrive for far less than this thing costs. not sure how i feel about killing older systems, but i am okay with most repro carts, so whatever.