Emulators that remove slowdown

Emu Talk Goes Here
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Emulators that remove slowdown

Post by Exhuminator »

samsonlonghair wrote:
PresidentLeever wrote:Yes, sprite flicker removal exists for some SMS emulators as well.

Do you care to elaborate? Does Kega Fusion do this, or is it another emulator?

Kega allows you to do it. Options > Set Config > SMS/GG > Disable Sprite Limiter (bottom checkbox)
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

My friend showed me that a fork of Bsnes in libretro/retroarch allows overclocking of SuperFX games. Very smooth!
A google search says SNES9x Next can do it too.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
d123456
Next-Gen

Post by d123456 »

Some of Sega Ages 2500 releases for the japanese ps2 that have master system versions of games on the collections have this feature and also the feature to remove the flicker.
Next time I play them and see the feature I'll try not to forget to update this post or reply again.
Interesting thread. Features like this might be an actual improvement over the original hardware. But I wish we could somehow upgrade the actual systems themselves to make this possible. oXbox has the 512MB internal memory upgrade, but I'm not sure if it affects games, because I thought that the oXbox never uses this extra memory.
Optimizing PS2 games 480p (progressive) and 240p gsm hdtv
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=30389
Anapan
Next-Gen

Post by Anapan »

I've seen overclocked Snes SuperFX videos. In that case it happens in the cart itself. Same results but not possible to overclock them to the extent the emulators allow.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

d123456 wrote:Some of Sega Ages 2500 releases for the japanese ps2 that have master system versions of games on the collections have this feature and also the feature to remove the flicker.
Next time I play them and see the feature I'll try not to forget to update this post or reply again.
Interesting thread. Features like this might be an actual improvement over the original hardware. But I wish we could somehow upgrade the actual systems themselves to make this possible. oXbox has the 512MB internal memory upgrade, but I'm not sure if it affects games, because I thought that the oXbox never uses this extra memory.

Back in the days when TechTV was on the air, they had a console modder on the screen savers overclock a Sega Genesis. When Sonic got hit with 100+ rings flying across the screen, there was no noticeable slowdown.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

PresidentLeever wrote:Yes, sprite flicker removal exists for some SMS emulators as well.

If you remove sprite flicker from Sega Master System games, is there anything left?
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

The Mega Drive was fairly commonly overclocked for Thunder Force IV back in the day. The Saturn version in Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 removes the notable instances of slowdown from the game. The music is cleaned up a bit, with far less heavy distortion, as well (which I tend to prefer).

I've heard conjecture that the Sega/Victor Wondermega units have slightly faster processors, but I haven't been able to find any documentation that would support this. From a purely anecdotal standpoint, it seems to me that Rockman Mega World has a bit less slowdown in comparison to being played through my stock Mega Drive, but it could be placebo.

EDIT: I remembered that I actually have all the original documentation for the Wondermega, and according to the manual, it has an M68000@ 12.5MHz (same as the Sega CD) M68000@ 8MHz and the Z80A co-processor @ 4MHz.