Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
alienjesus
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 8328
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:10 pm
Location: London, UK.

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by alienjesus Tue May 05, 2015 12:15 pm

Sarge wrote:I'm almost positive that Blaster Master has limited continues. I used a Game Genie back in the day to bypass that issue.



It definitely does have limited continues, which is why I can never get past that damn zone 5 boss.
Image
User avatar
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 10767
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:26 pm
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by prfsnl_gmr Tue May 05, 2015 12:17 pm

alienjesus wrote:
Sarge wrote:I'm almost positive that Blaster Master has limited continues. I used a Game Genie back in the day to bypass that issue.



It definitely does have limited continues, which is why I can never get past that damn zone 5 boss.


Uh oh...I've used three so far; so, I am probably running out of them... :(

If that is the case, I may have to make another run at the game using save states after each of the bosses.
User avatar
darsparx
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4394
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:24 pm

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by darsparx Tue May 05, 2015 1:30 pm

Sarge wrote:
darsparx wrote:Played some more chrono....and by some more I'm now in the future area after running from the Chancellor and guards. Not only that but now trying to get into the storage area at the dome past lab 16...a night well spent even if I didn't get my room clean like I meant to do.... 8) now the real test is to see if I can beat the Guardian this should be interesting

Is this your first time through the game? If so, I envy you so much. There are some games I'd love to go back and experience again for the very first time. That's one of them. Absolutely fantastic game, and it still holds up against the best RPGs today.


Definitely not my first time I started it once on the psp(ps1 classic I think) and I don't even know why I stopped, think I may've even had on gba at one point too when I was younger but I remember getting to the point I'm at now but i think there's something different about the after the return to 1000ad in the sfc version I swear I did something different in the other versions...). Still I think for whatever I thought of the music and such before it's much better on the retron with sfc and patched for english...
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.
Image

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
User avatar
Key-Glyph
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 1679
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:38 am

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by Key-Glyph Tue May 05, 2015 5:23 pm

CFFJR wrote:Despite my whining (all in fun), Jim has been pleasantly challenging and incredibly fun. Join the party.

Which version were you planning to play?
Genesis. Which I think I can safely assume you're playing as well? :wink:

I loved Earthworm Jim 2 as a kid, so I expect I'll like the original as well.
Image
BogusMeatFactory wrote:If I could powder my copies of shenmue and snort them I would
User avatar
Sarge
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 7270
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by Sarge Tue May 05, 2015 5:28 pm

darsparx wrote:Definitely not my first time I started it once on the psp(ps1 classic I think) and I don't even know why I stopped, think I may've even had on gba at one point too when I was younger but I remember getting to the point I'm at now but i think there's something different about the after the return to 1000ad in the sfc version I swear I did something different in the other versions...). Still I think for whatever I thought of the music and such before it's much better on the retron with sfc and patched for english...

Are you patching from the English version of the ROM? Basically going from SFC to the official SNES version? Or are you using one of the unofficial retranslation patches?

I don't think the music is any different between the SFC/SNES versions. Wouldn't surprise me if there's just a touch of difference in the DS version, though. Not sure about the PSX version, but that one's got other problems, like the pre-battle load times.
User avatar
CFFJR
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4417
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:51 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by CFFJR Tue May 05, 2015 7:50 pm

Key-Glyph wrote:
CFFJR wrote:Despite my whining (all in fun), Jim has been pleasantly challenging and incredibly fun. Join the party.

Which version were you planning to play?
Genesis. Which I think I can safely assume you're playing as well? :wink:

I loved Earthworm Jim 2 as a kid, so I expect I'll like the original as well.


You are correct madam!

I'll jump into Jim 2 myself sometime soon.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience with Jim 1. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
User avatar
darsparx
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4394
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:24 pm

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by darsparx Tue May 05, 2015 10:41 pm

Sarge wrote:
darsparx wrote:Definitely not my first time I started it once on the psp(ps1 classic I think) and I don't even know why I stopped, think I may've even had on gba at one point too when I was younger but I remember getting to the point I'm at now but i think there's something different about the after the return to 1000ad in the sfc version I swear I did something different in the other versions...). Still I think for whatever I thought of the music and such before it's much better on the retron with sfc and patched for english...

Are you patching from the English version of the ROM? Basically going from SFC to the official SNES version? Or are you using one of the unofficial retranslation patches?

I don't think the music is any different between the SFC/SNES versions. Wouldn't surprise me if there's just a touch of difference in the DS version, though. Not sure about the PSX version, but that one's got other problems, like the pre-battle load times.


Well since it's r9delta's patch it's probably a sfc -> snes type patch instead of retranslation.
My gameroom
My systems: NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, original gba, gba sp(001), ds lite, 3ds, vita, psp, PSone(101 model) ps2, ps3(320gb model), ps4, retron 5, and Dreamcast.
Image

bogusmeatfactory wrote:Ever feel like a wild gazelle in the wilderness?
User avatar
CFFJR
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 4417
Joined: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:51 am
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by CFFJR Wed May 06, 2015 3:27 am

I had an unsuccessful go at Vectorman tonight. Made it to Day 14 (of 16) before I got a game over. Vectorman offers no continues at all, but I think it was a pretty good run and I doubt I'll have much issue completing the game next time I try.

On a more positive note, I struggled and strained and squeezed and finally beat Ghouls N' Ghosts!

1.Mega Turrican
2.Strider
3.Vectorman
4.Earthworm Jim
5.Ghouls N' Ghosts - Complete
6.Toejam & Earl
7.Phantasy Star 4
8.Alien Soldier
9.The Revenge of Shinobi
10.Flashback: The Quest for Identity

Nice to get that one done.

Going back through the levels (over and over, and over again) its surprising to see how much easier they become. By the end it was only the giant worm boss of level 4 that would consistently give me hell, and even then if I wasn't being forced to use the Psycho Cannon on the second loop it wouldn't have been much of an issue.

The game is about persistence above all else though. Infinite continues make this bearable, but you still have to practice and perfect your runs through each segment if you want to succeed.

I often found this more frustrating than fun, but I think I can chalk that up to the learning curve. When you've found your flow and start moving through the levels with skill, the game is a joy to play.

---

Regarding the rest of my list, I did end up swapping Dynamite Headdy for one of my alternates, Strider. Mostly because it was one of two Treasure games on the list, and I'm prioritizing Alien Soldier. The rest of the list will remain unchanged.

Next up will definitely be either Vectorman or Earthworm Jim. Then probably Strider or Shinobi after those.
GameSack wrote:That's right, only Sega had the skill to make a proper Nintendo game.
User avatar
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 19435
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 1:08 pm
Location: Maine

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by BoneSnapDeez Wed May 06, 2015 8:03 am

You are good at video games. I can't get past level 2 of Ghosts 'n Goblins or Ghouls 'n Ghosts. And the former is on my list. Oof.
User avatar
Xeogred
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 14385
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:49 pm
Location: KC

Re: Summer Games Challenge 2015

by Xeogred Wed May 06, 2015 9:58 pm

That is indeed a feat CFFJR. I can get the true ending to Super Ghouls' n Ghosts and love that game, but the double jump and other mechanics make it a very different experience... I can barely get past the first levels in the NES and Genesis games. I just ran through all of the classic Castlevania's, but there at the least you have an actual health bar, the 1-2 hits in Ghouls is brutal!

Earthworm Jim is pretty challenging after the first few levels. The Water Race... lmao. I honestly don't think I've ever officially beaten the second game actually. I always get stuck in the newspapers level.
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests