Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: SNESdrunk reviews

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:53 pm

I will say this. The PC Engine Ys IV absolutely murders the Super Famicom one.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:21 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I will say this. The PC Engine Ys IV absolutely murders the Super Famicom one.

How so? I'm just wondering if it's one of those cases where they're not even the same game. Or was it just a better port? Or it was the original version, and the SFC port wasn't as good?

My Sale Thread - SNES and N64 added! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

by SNESdrunk Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:05 am

Last edited by SNESdrunk on Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:23 am

Ziggy587 wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:I will say this. The PC Engine Ys IV absolutely murders the Super Famicom one.

How so? I'm just wondering if it's one of those cases where they're not even the same game. Or was it just a better port? Or it was the original version, and the SFC port wasn't as good?

They are completely different games. There were two different Ys IV's back in the day.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:57 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:
SNESdrunk wrote:Tuesday, February 3, 2015 - Ys III: Wanderers From Ys

I remember playing this on a Blockbuster rental. The one thing I definitely remember about it is how AWESOME the music is. I've been going back and forth for some years now if I wanna pick up a copy and give it a go. Your video pushed me over the edge.

So I've been playing Wanderers from Ys. The game is kinda weird in how simple it is. I knew it only had one town, but the whole game is fairly linear. Not that I'm complaining, I've actually been enjoying how easy it is.

The grinding is weird. Right at the start you HAVE to grind. But it doesn't last for long. Once I beat the ruins, which is only the second area, I was able to max out. Tip: I went back to the ruins to the spot where those owl things continuously fly into you. I just held my sword up and stayed there until my health ran down, used a healing herb, then stayed there some more until my health ran down again. Doing this, I maxed out my experience points pretty quickly. After doing this, I felt like I broke the game. I was able to purchase all the best equipment at the shop. The mountain area was pretty much a breeze. I just ran right through it. It felt like in Symphony of the Night when you get the Crissaegrim. The area after that, the castle, was pretty much the same. I just had to make sure to avoid those traps that take away half your HP in one hit. Otherwise, I just ran right through all the enemies. So yeah, the game is pretty messed up in how you level up.

BoneSnapDeez wrote:They are completely different games. There were two different Ys IV's back in the day.

Cool. I'll have to keep that in mind if I ever decide to check out more of the Ys series.

My Sale Thread - SNES and N64 added! I am selling around three quarters of my video game collection as well as some other odds and ends!

I want to buy Universal Game Cases, if you have any spares please PM me! I'm looking to only deal with members that have good BST feedback on this forum.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:32 pm

SNESdrunk wrote:Tuesday, February 9, 2015 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time

Back when games were super expensive, your weekly allowance took forever to add up to the cost of a game, and game purchases were rare events, this was one of those games that was rental several times. When Majesco produced games cheaply late in the console's life, I was finally able to score a copy of TMNT IV. And for the longest time, it was the only beat em up I owned for the SNES, or any other console for that matter. And I wasn't missing anything in that genre. This game is, in a single word, great.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:03 pm

Ziggy587 wrote:
SNESdrunk wrote:Tuesday, February 9, 2015 - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time

Back when games were super expensive, your weekly allowance took forever to add up to the cost of a game, and game purchases were rare events, this was one of those games that was rental several times. When Majesco produced games cheaply late in the console's life, I was finally able to score a copy of TMNT IV. And for the longest time, it was the only beat em up I owned for the SNES, or any other console for that matter. And I wasn't missing anything in that genre. This game is, in a single word, great.

For whatever reason I never owned Turtles in Time in my youth, it was always hard to find or something.

But yeah, rented it a lot for sure.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:16 am

Ziggy587 wrote:Back when games were super expensive, your weekly allowance took forever to add up to the cost of a game, and game purchases were rare events, this was one of those games that was rental several times. When Majesco produced games cheaply late in the console's life, I was finally able to score a copy of TMNT IV. And for the longest time, it was the only beat em up I owned for the SNES, or any other console for that matter. And I wasn't missing anything in that genre. This game is, in a single word, great.

Gosh, someone else remembers those Majesco SNES re-releases. I ended up getting 2 of them by accident in 1997 -- Top Gear and Mega Man X.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
SNESdrunk
Next-Gen

by SNESdrunk Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:15 am

Thursday, February 12, 2015 - Bart vs. the Juggernauts
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:45 pm

ExedExes wrote:Gosh, someone else remembers those Majesco SNES re-releases. I ended up getting 2 of them by accident in 1997 -- Top Gear and Mega Man X.

Luckily I picked up another copy of TMNT IV, an earlier non-Majesco copy, before retro game prices started to skyrocket. FYI, those Majesco carts suck. The manual being in black and white instead of color is one thing. The cart labels are really poor and age badly. The carts themselves are manufactured poorly compared to Nintendo MIJ carts. I even question the quality of the parts that they use.

Return to Game Reviews