What car do you drive?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
oxymoron
Next-Gen

Re: What car do you drive?

Post by oxymoron »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
oxymoron wrote:I still like the Eclipse but I've always like the 3000gt more but could never find one w/ good miles under 6000. So it's just a steaming pile?

I really just can't recommend one and my friend that has a VR4 can't really recommend it either.

It has trashy gas mileage. Trashy reliability. It's heavy. It doesn't perform that well. You can do a whole lot better. If he didn't have so much money in it my buddy would get rid of it. It never doesn't have issues; and parts are hard to find.

I find it pretty hard to recommend any Mitsubishi tbh other than an older Eclipse.

Since you're considering an Eclipse, have you thought of maybe a late 90s Celica GT?

I love Celica's but only the 00's models though. Finding with 100,000 miles> for under 6000 can be quite a job.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

You're 17. Just keep the Camry as it is reliable if boring transportation. It's very likely you'll have an accident of some kind due to driving inexperience and ding that up anyway. Once you have more miles under your belt and proper income, then worry about looking for something you like and can afford.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

oxymoron wrote:I still like the Eclipse but I've always like the 3000gt more but could never find one w/ good miles under 6000. So it's just a steaming pile?

A friend of mine really likes them, and owns a couple (well, Dodge Stealths, but, same car). One a basic model, one a twin turbo.

They have a number of issues. Some of which are very expensive to fix. The computers like to break, for example. Obviously, if you get a turbo, those have to get replaced every so often, and aren't cheap. He's put thousands just into keeping his turbo one in stock, working shape.

It's not as bad as his Celica-Supra, which uses a tire size that isn't commonly made anymore/etc. :lol:

For as big, heavy cars they are, they have little room too.

Frankly, the lower end models will be all around meh, higher end models will be money pits. Same thing is going to go for most older sports cars. For those who have the means, and feel it's worth it, great. For cheap transportation, not so much. Modern econoboxes outperform a lot of them to boot.
stickem
Next-Gen

Post by stickem »

i have a 3g eclipse gt just for an extra beater. if i had it to do all over again i would've held out for a 2g rsgt or gsx. 3g's are limited on performance unless you do a motor swap or have about 8 to10 grand to piece a turbo kit together. if you're young it's not a bad car, they are pretty reliable, and look good with some mods.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

Post by Mod_Man_Extreme »

I love the second generation Eclipse.

I have a white '95 RS 5-Speed out in the driveway and it's a blast to drive. It only has around 139k miles on the clock, and I'm the second owner so it's always been well taken care of. Since it's a '95 it has the original bumper design, which in my opinion wards off a lot of the rice-burner status the car has gained over the years (Thanks for nothing F&F :evil: ). Not to mention the original design cues lend a much more subtly aggressive and performance oriented look to the car vs the flash without substance look the mid-year re-design started in '97 gave it.

It's not the fastest car on the street, or even the best Eclipse trim of that Generation (GSX) by any means. But, it has a superb feeling manual transmission, nicely weighted hydraulic power steering, a hydraulic clutch with good feedback and very capable independent suspension all around.

It has since been supplemented, but not replaced, by my new daily driver; a 2011 Kia Forte 5 SX Hatchback.

DSC09057.JPG
DSC09057.JPG (101.82 KiB) Viewed 620 times

DSC09058.JPG
DSC09058.JPG (106.61 KiB) Viewed 620 times

I managed to fine one with only 24k miles, the optional 6-speed manual and in Corsa-Blue-Metallic which I think is just about the best color that Kia has in it's lineup at the moment. It's tiny yet spacious, with a lot of rear legroom even if the seats are all the way back and reminds me a lot of my old '89 RT-4WD 6-Speed EF Civic wagon. I got lucky it wasn't the leather interior, as the standard SX seats have nice alcantara/suede upholstery and are bolstered far more supportively than the leather ones are. The engine is a rev-happy guy, yet at 2.4L of displacement and being a DOHC it isn't as small proportionately as the Honda's was which meas more power with less legwork and rowing at the shifter, which by the way is cable operated just like on my old Wagon.

Some nice touches also include:

Hydraulic power steering that is worlds and away better than the electronic crap found in 90% of cars out there lately. The setup on the SX's steering completely changes the way the car handles vs the Base, ECO and EX models which have limp and unresponsive steering that is weirdly heavy at low speeds and uncomfortably light at higher ones.

Manual/Auto driver's side window motor. Coming from every car I've owned having had roll-up manual windows I've become a bit of a control freak in that department. I want my window to only go as far up or down as I want instead of all the way as standard on pretty much every other car ever made. This setup makes everything simple. If I want it to auto down just tap, if I want it only a bit or mostly down: hold until satisfied.

One touch open-close sunroof. Coming from the Eclipse this makes it a lot more fun to mess with the sunroof in traffic or at a red light as I no longer have to hold the button down and wait as I open/close the glass to where I want it.

4-wheel Disc Brakes with ABS. This may sound like a basic feature for everyone who's driven a remotely newer car, but I've never had ABS, and have always dealt with the pain that is rear drums which are a pain to service, expensive to replace and provide significantly less stopping power. The ABS is a cool touch for an emergency situation, but I do miss the firmer and more reassuring pedal feel, along with greater brake control that a car without ABS provides.

Halogen headlamps and fog lights. I don't have anything against HID's and LED driving lamps per-se, as long as they're in a proper projector housing and the car was meant to have them that is. Otherwise I think of them like the useless bling and extra tacked on flash that makes a car into a riced out parody of itself, instead of a clean-cut and sleek looking vehicle. Halogen headlamps on the other hand have a timeless look to them that helps the car look sleeker and keeps it from becoming dated the way a lot of the competition will over time.

Things I don't like:

Traction control. Every time I've managed to get a really fun drive started I'll have forgotten to turn this off and it'll come in to bite the wheels with a blip of the brakes robbing all the fun lest I somehow fly off into the patch of water4, ice or flaming death the computer thinks I've somehow hit.

Torsion Beam rear suspension. This is the first car I've ever had with a non 4-wheel independent setup and it's something I always miss to a degree when driving it. It's not anywhere near as bad as the majority of other torsion-beam rear suspension cars out there. In fact you can't really tell unless you push the car to where it feels like it might roll, which I feel to be an achievement considering today's money conscious car buyer. Still though, I know that were I in the Honda or my Eclipse I would have been able to hit that one turn or those fun back roads just that much harder.

Also, I really miss getting to drive the 2000 Focus ZX3 Hatchback my sister used to have. The control blade suspension was surprisingly fun, and the DOHC Zetec unit under the hood was a lot peppier than you would expect from anything Ford made in that era. It took a fully loaded semi to the trunk like a champ though, and kept me and Kelsey alive, albeit in pieces.

Before:
Scan10097.jpg
Scan10097.jpg (62.63 KiB) Viewed 614 times

After:
accident.jpg
accident.jpg (115.69 KiB) Viewed 614 times

accident2.jpg
accident2.jpg (129.88 KiB) Viewed 614 times
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Niode wrote:Send him a dodgy cheque. Make it out to Scammy McScammerson.

Check out my sale thread below, NeoGeo MVS carts & Arcade gear wanted!:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11366
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

The Kia is no more, can you say SAABARU?

SAABARU.jpeg
SAABARU.jpeg (121.23 KiB) Viewed 572 times

SAABARU 2.jpeg
SAABARU 2.jpeg (119.65 KiB) Viewed 572 times
My Consoles:
Genesis - Nomad - SegaCD - GameGear - Sega Saturn - Dreamcast - NES - SNES - N64 - Gamecube - Wii - Playstation - PSone & LCD - PS2 - PS3 - Xbox - 3DS

Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

Welcome to the Saabaru club. Yours appears to be the wrong color though. :P
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

Post by RyaNtheSlayA »

Oooo nice. Is it an Aero?
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

RyaNtheSlayA wrote:Oooo nice. Is it an Aero?

Aeros have the hood scoop like the Impreza.
Mod_Man_Extreme
Next-Gen

:lol: I like the color, it's the same as Walt's Aztek!

I wish it was an Aero, but alas it's a 2.5i Linear. Mine's a 2006 and apparently that year they were pretty rare regardless of trim, so I'm glad I found one at all. But hey, at least it's a stick and has all sorts of nice Saab options like butt warmers and a sunroof.

Not all is well in Saabie-town though. About two days or so after buying it both head gaskets, the throwout bearing and a CV-axle all failed at once in a cascading failure while I was driving home. At least the dealer has to fix it as they toss in a complimentary 3-month 3k-mile warranty on all their used sales. It was a pretty ritzy Benz/AMG dealer that was selling it, so I"m hoping it all gets done right the first time and I won't be dealing with any more problems.
My Consoles: