Ouya, Raspberry Pi or both?

Neo-Geo, Arcade, Portable, & Every Other Platform
Hatta
Next-Gen

Re: Ouya, Raspberry Pi or both?

Post by Hatta »

Ouya's for playing, Pi is for hacking. You can't do things like this or this on an Ouya.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

sigh...
I always wanted to the guy who writes his own software and modifies hardware to his liking ... its just so damn complex...
Fuzzy_Cthulhu
8-bit

Post by Fuzzy_Cthulhu »

I'd love to see if it's possible to make an all purpose arcade machine out of an old cabinet Ouya, an LED monitor and an X-Arcade stick. ( That's my 2nd mention of the stick today- promise I'm not trying to plug it! )
SpoonyBard
128-bit

Post by SpoonyBard »

Fuzzy_Cthulhu wrote:I'd love to see if it's possible to make an all purpose arcade machine out of an old cabinet Ouya, an LED monitor and an X-Arcade stick. ( That's my 2nd mention of the stick today- promise I'm not trying to plug it! )

You definitely could put it in a cabinet, It's exactly the same as hooking the Ouya to LED monitor. If you were going this route, you really wouldn't need the X-arcade stick, as you could just put some high-quality arcade parts on the existing panel of the cabinet and do it for half the price of the X-arcade stick. All you have to do is padhack the controller.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

SpoonyBard wrote:
Fuzzy_Cthulhu wrote:I'd love to see if it's possible to make an all purpose arcade machine out of an old cabinet Ouya, an LED monitor and an X-Arcade stick. ( That's my 2nd mention of the stick today- promise I'm not trying to plug it! )

You definitely could put it in a cabinet, It's exactly the same as hooking the Ouya to LED monitor. If you were going this route, you really wouldn't need the X-arcade stick, as you could just put some high-quality arcade parts on the existing panel of the cabinet and do it for half the price of the X-arcade stick. All you have to do is padhack the controller.

Or you could decase the ouya and fit it in the tank stick.

Though I prefer the Hanaho Hotrod SE - gogo Happs!

Edit:
Looks like Hanaho might have gone out of business.
Xevin
8-bit

Post by Xevin »

I'd say for gaming, the Ouya is a better choice. It's faster. Ready to go from the second you get it. And it has more support for gamers specifically.

The down sides are that it doesn't have a way to get into recovery, so the development community is rather limited right now. There is no analog audio out. If you use a projector or a sound system, this could be a major issue for you. And finally, No Android Play Store out of the box. You have to hack it in there.

For the RPi, it is cheaper and more hacker friendly, but it is a lot slower and takes a little work to make it into what you want it to be. Also all the accessories you'll need to get it to do what you want could cost you more then the Ouya.
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

The Ouya is by far the superior machine for gaming and as a media center. I own both devices, and they're really meant for completely different purposes. Sure, they can both do some of the same things, but the Pi is meant more as a single-purpose computer in the traditional sense.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

lisalover1 wrote:The Ouya is by far the superior machine for gaming and as a media center. I own both devices, and they're really meant for completely different purposes. Sure, they can both do some of the same things, but the Pi is meant more as a single-purpose computer in the traditional sense.

How did the Ouya turned out for you? I hear many people were upset about it and it had lots of glitches/issues. Did they fix'em with the updates?

I am looking to change my WDTV for something that will play any format with subtitles. It will be amazing if I can send video files wirelessly from my macbook to the Ouya. I am afraid the hardware might be a bit weak to output 1080p?
lisalover1
Next-Gen

Post by lisalover1 »

RCBH928 wrote:
lisalover1 wrote:The Ouya is by far the superior machine for gaming and as a media center. I own both devices, and they're really meant for completely different purposes. Sure, they can both do some of the same things, but the Pi is meant more as a single-purpose computer in the traditional sense.

How did the Ouya turned out for you? I hear many people were upset about it and it had lots of glitches/issues. Did they fix'em with the updates?

I am looking to change my WDTV for something that will play any format with subtitles. It will be amazing if I can send video files wirelessly from my macbook to the Ouya. I am afraid the hardware might be a bit weak to output 1080p?
I love my Ouya, personally; the only issue I have is that it has a bizarre overscan issue where some games and apps have their borders cut off. I hope they'll fix it soon enough. Other than that, I've had lots of fun exploring the game library. I've already bought Ittle Dew and Knightmare Tower for the system, and it really does feel like a legitimate gaming platform.

XBMC supports Airplay, which, as I understand it, works on OS X. Thus, it should be possible to play files natively. Failing that, using Samba to make an SMB network share also works like a charm. :) Also, the Ouya can definitely play 1080p video over the network; I've done it myself, and there was no lag from what I could see.
~My name's Vicky, by the way!~ ^_^
RCBH928
Next-Gen

Post by RCBH928 »

Let me get this straight. If I get an Ouya , I can transfer playing videos from my macbook and iPad through airplay at 1080p no issues?