Games With Genuinely Challenging Puzzles

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
Stark
Next-Gen

Re: Games With Genuinely Challenging Puzzles

Post by Stark »

ChrisHaha2049 wrote:Solomon's Key on NES, I think might fit your criteria. Gets tough pretty early. Always loved that game.
The Lost Vikings on SNES & Genesis, I thought was pretty challenging too.

Ooh Solomon's Key is awesome! Add Shadowgate for the NES to dang hard.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

-Braid - Some of the solutions require some real outside the box thinking
-Crush (PSP) - Particularly when you're trying to get everything in a level
-PC Adventure games in general - I can't think of many that were easy for me. I guess if I single one out it would be Monkey Island 2. That one took me some time
-FF XIII-2's Hands of time clock puzzles - They would progress in difficulty until you ended up with some really tricky ones. They were the hardest of all the puzzles in the game
Dodogo! Challenge - It's essentially a hard mode for people who have completed Dodogo! I need to go back and finish that some time.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Txai

Post by Txai »

Guru Logic Champ for GBA might be easy at first. But it gets really, really tough as you progress.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Catrap for the Game Boy can get pretty challenging. It has a nice rewind function for if you screw up, but it's still incredibly tough later on. It's also on 3DS Virtual Console.

Speaking of 3DS, Pullblox (Pushmo) and Fallblox (Crashmo) on 3DS e-Shop can be real stumpers too.

Zack & Wiki for Wii has some real challenging levels later on too.

I personally can't stand it, but you might find you'll get some mileage out of Wrecking Crew on NES aswell.
Retronomy
32-bit

Post by Retronomy »

As much as I love the Myst series, I wouldn't call the puzzles 'challenging.' More on the order of "I have no freaking clue why this button did that but alright, lets move forward." Some of the logic is so foreign in those games.
http://retrofiends.com My terrible retro video game reviews blog.
SamuraiMegas
Next-Gen

Post by SamuraiMegas »

Portal.
Hobie-wan wrote:Milk the banana for all it's worth.

My BST Thread
chupon
Next-Gen

Post by chupon »

NES - adventures of lolo
NES - lolo 2
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

Post by Menegrothx »

Silent Hill 2 on the hardest puzzle difficulty setting
The first Portal game: after you play through the game (it's a very short game), you can replay the levels with either time or limited amount of portals challenges, that force you to rethink the way you compete the levels.
Adventures of Sherlock Holmes-games
Supaplex: It's a Boulder Dash type of game. Not really a puzzle game, but the game gets really hard towards the end and you have to really carefully think of your path.
Dungeon crawlers/RPGs:
Legend of Grimrock
Dungeon Master
Morrowind has some challenging puzzles and riddles, unlike Skyrim.

Quite many oldschool RPGs (like Ultima 3) have some challenging puzzles, but fit the bill if you just want a game where you generally need to figure out things on your own with out any hand holding, not just when you're solving puzzles. And quite many of those Dungeon Master/Ultima Underworld type of 1st person view dungeon crawlers have some puzzles, but they are quite scarce so not probably worth it if you just want to solve some puzzles.
Gamerforlife wrote:-PC Adventure games in general - I can't think of many that were easy for me. I guess if I single one out it would be Monkey Island 2. That one took me some time

This. Sam and Max Hit the Road and Monkey Island 1&2 are excellent games to start with.
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
TEKTORO
Next-Gen

Post by TEKTORO »

Catherine, you are the puzzle. Meaning when you win or lose, it was all because of your decisions and path choices. Making it through most of the puzzles will take a few tries, but its so rewarding when you finally make it.
If you can see the future while remembering the past, you may just have control of the present.