Good console RTS's or TBS's?

RTS, FPS, Sports, Adventure, etc.
brukner1129
8-bit

Good console RTS's or TBS's?

Post by brukner1129 »

I'm a pretty big RTS fan, and play a lot on the pc, but I'm looking to expand my console RTS library. Currently the only one I have is C&C 3 on the 360. I've been told about Red Alert 3, Battle for Middle Earth 2, and Halo Wars, but haven't made any purchases yet. Any opinions on these? Absolutely no idea where to begin on other consoles (I have Genesis, PSX/PS2, 360, Wii, DS, GBA, GBC, GB, and am trolling the local shops for Dreamcast, N64, NES, and SNES, so anything for these consoles is welcome) Also, turn-based strategy is a favorite (possibly more-so than the RTS), but much harder to come by. Any recommendations in this area would be very appreciated.
TOAPLAN FOREVER
AppleQueso

Re: Good console RTS's or TBS's?

Post by AppleQueso »

N64 has ports of Command and Conquer and Starcraft, though i'm not sure you'd actually want to play those versions...
brukner1129
8-bit

Post by brukner1129 »

Haven't played the C&C port. Played the Starcraft port at a friend's house a few years back: it was good, but I couldn't get used to the controls.
TOAPLAN FOREVER
lwcook
128-bit

Post by lwcook »

My vote for best console RTS always goes to Warzone 2100 for the PS1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warzone_2100

It starts out like a typical C&C clone, but there are several changes to the formula that make it it's own game (and more console friendly in some ways.) The biggest thing you'll notice is you keep your bases and units throughout the missions, so long term strategy and research of technology is important.

The controls using the standard pad are pretty decent, although this game is one that really puts the PS1 mouse to good use. Using both the control pad and mouse in tandem almost gives you more control that you have over the PC version (especially when attacking with a tank unit in 3rd person mode.)
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

You ought to try Front Mission 4 and 5 on the PS2. Granted they're JRPG's but they have turn-based battles that are quite ace. You might also get a kick out of the Advance Wars series.

There's also the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series, but I was never into it. Valkyria Chronicles II for the PSP might tickle your fancy. Last but not least XCOM: Enemy Unknown is out on PS360 and soon iOS as well.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

There are lots of awesome strategy RPGs we could list. That's one of my favorite genres. Are you interested in that?

If you want strategy without RPG elements, Advance Wars is pretty awesome. There's also a PSP remake of Pirates!
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while
brukner1129
8-bit

Post by brukner1129 »

Valkyrie-Favor wrote:There are lots of awesome strategy RPGs we could list. That's one of my favorite genres. Are you interested in that?

Absolutely :mrgreen:
TOAPLAN FOREVER
Valkyrie-Favor
Next-Gen

Post by Valkyrie-Favor »

I mostly play strategy RPGs on handhelds:

-Knights in the Nightmare
-Fire Emblem (any will do)
-Valkyria Chronicles II
-Jeanne D'Arc
-Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
-Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
-Yggdra Union
-Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time
-Gungnir

I haven't played the last two, but they look awesome. Get the PSP games NOW while they're still cheap!

On consoles:
-Front Mission (5 if you have a modded PS2, 4 if you don't)
-Kartia: World of Fate
-Saiyuki
-Vandal Hearts: Flames of Judgement
-La Pucelle Tactics
-Fire Emblem Gameube+Wii
-Growlanser Generations
-Final Fantasy Tactics
-Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
-Energy Breaker and other SNES translations

On PC and smartphones:
-Avadon: The Black Fortress

All of these are turn-based and hybrid. I haven't played much RTS besides Starcraft.
Tsun tsun dere tsun dere tsun tsun~ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . UPDATED trade list
noiseredux wrote:Playing on your GBA/PSP you can be watching a movie/TV show/playing another RPG on your TV and then just look at the screen every once in a while