street fighter II - what's up with orange/yellow hadoukens?

Brawlers and Beatemups
grittykitty
forever 16-bit

street fighter II - what's up with orange/yellow hadoukens?

Post by grittykitty »

just wondered if there are any sf2 nerds here who are more enlightened on the subject :P

i've been playing street fighter II turbo on the SNES for quite a while... more specifically, i'd been playing the super famicom version and i don't believe i even once encountered the yellow or orange or red or whatever color hadoken. but i've recently got my hands on a copy of the US version and playing as ken against ryu have seen it more than a few times. what gives?

after a few minutes of google searching (with very few results) i've only read that it may be a glitch. i'm just curious as to what causes it. any romhackers here know why?
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Re: street fighter II - what's up with orange/yellow hadouke

Post by CD AGES »

The origins of the red/orange fireball def was a result of a mere bug within the games code. Why it happens is really something wouldn't Really be able to explain. But from Super Street Fighter onwards, the red fireball became a real special move for Ryu.
There was a similar bug in MKII which randomly would show JC's Shadow Kick in a red hue as oppose to its normal blue.
8bit
Next-Gen

Post by 8bit »

CD AGES wrote:The origins of the red/orange fireball def was a result of a mere bug within the games code. Why it happens is really something wouldn't Really be able to explain. But from Super Street Fighter onwards, the red fireball became a real special move for Ryu.
There was a similar bug in MKII which randomly would show JC's Shadow Kick in a red hue as oppose to its normal blue.

:shock: How on earth do you know all of this stuff? You are like an encyclopedia of fighting game knowledge! I'm pretty sure you should be updating wikipedia with some of the things you know.
"The librarian does not rue the library, nor the curator fear the exhibits. Rather they revel in their potential. And that is the beauty of a big backlog; pure potential." - Exhuminator

My Game Room | My BST Thread |
indecks
Next-Gen

Post by indecks »

CD AGES wrote:The origins of the red/orange fireball def was a result of a mere bug within the games code. Why it happens is really something wouldn't Really be able to explain. But from Super Street Fighter onwards, the red fireball became a real special move for Ryu.

lol beat me to the Johnny Cage Red Shadow Kick. And wasn't it normally green, tho?
AppleQueso

Post by AppleQueso »

JC's shadow kick is normally green.

I thought his red one was actually a bit more powerful though? Never have heard of it just being a glitch before...
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

8bit wrote:

:shock: How on earth do you know all of this stuff? You are like an encyclopedia of fighting game knowledge! I'm pretty sure you should be updating wikipedia with some of the things you know.

I knew this too...it was pretty common knowledge if you were a fighting game fanatic - like myself - during the heyday of 2D arcade fighting games. It might have been lost to time, however...
Majors
128-bit

Post by Majors »

CD AGES wrote:The origins of the red/orange fireball def was a result of a mere bug within the games code. ... But from Super Street Fighter onwards, the red fireball became a real special move for Ryu.

Your saying the programers in later versions kept the red fireball and made it a feature? To get the red fireball, you use half-circle, right? Quarter circle is the "normal", white fireball.
Majors -=- Wedoca '22
indecks
Next-Gen

Post by indecks »

Majors wrote:Your saying the programers in later versions kept the red fireball and made it a feature? To get the red fireball, you use half-circle, right? Quarter circle is the "normal", white fireball.

Yep. Starting with Super Street Fighter II, I believe. And yes, the red fireball was a half circle instead of quarter circle. Dependent on the button used, it hit (and slightly stunned for a split second) 1, 2 or 3 times.

Akuma's is a half circle BACK though.