Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Random Gaming Thoughts

by CRTGAMER Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:44 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Bought a Game Genie. Haven't used one since I was 11 or so. Should be a fun night.

If its for the NES it will ruin the console connecter.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

bryan_65
Next-Gen

by bryan_65 Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:14 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Bought a Game Genie. Haven't used one since I was 11 or so. Should be a fun night.

I say have fun and use it any way. You can't live your life in fear, and now you don't have to. :lol:

Yes it will hurt it over time but you can always get one NES just for the Genie if you are really worried about it.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:58 am

bryan_65 wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:
I say have fun and use it any way. You can't live your life in fear, and now you don't have to. :lol:

Yes it will hurt it over time but you can always get one NES just for the Genie if you are really worried about it.

A better word then Fear would be Ignorance. Even when a straight plug in such as a portable NES can lead to a ruined connector.

Game Genie
The notorious NES Toaster console contact killer. Since there is no "bend" due to an awkward angle game cart on the end, the Game Genie can fit the FC Mobile II. However, it is a little tight and can still bend the pins open too much. Looking closely, the Game Genie contacts have a thicker plastic on the PCB compared to a NES game cart. It does not bend the portable springs at an angle as in a NES Toaster, but still can cause permanent damage.

CRTGAMER wrote:The Game Genie Connector is almost twice as thick as a NES Game cart connector. Never use the Game Genie unless you want to permenantly damage your console or portable NES connector. The only way to fix a Game Genie is to build a thinner PCB cannibalized from a NES cart PCB.

Dr Mario NES Cart Connector Thickness -.04"
Galoob Game Genie Connector Thickness - .07"

I never leave a game cart plugged into a console or portable. The system cart connector's spring contacts may retain memory and not pop back out for another game cart.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:01 am

RyaNtheSlayA wrote::mrgreen: Bought a PS2 for my step-niece and nephew's first console a week or so ago and it just showed up. I just bid on a super cheap one on eBay with a terrible description. Just knew that it worked...

...and attached to it was a PS2 HDD. I'll take that for myself I think. :P

Snagging extra goodies off of your siblings presents, are we? I've done it too.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:13 am

Yeah, if you want to toy around with NES Game Genie codes these days it's best done in emulation where no hardware will be harmed.
BurningDoom
Next-Gen

by BurningDoom Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:17 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:The Game Genie Connector is almost twice as thick as a NES Game cart connector. Never use the Game Genie unless you want to permenantly damage your console or portable NES connector. The only way to fix a Game Genie is to build a thinner PCB cannibalized from a NES cart PCB.

Dr Mario NES Cart Connector Thickness -.04"
Galoob Game Genie Connector Thickness - .07"

I never leave a game cart plugged into a console or portable. The system cart connector's spring contacts may retain memory and not pop back out for another game cart.

I think you guys are freaking out too much over the Game Genie. I've used one for years and years and my NES still works fine. Just don't leave it plugged in when your done, make sure and pull it out when your finished.
Game Trade/Want List:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28206

Consoles Owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, Super GB, N64, Gamecube, GB Player, Wii, Sega Power Base Converter, Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, TurboGrafx-16, PlayStation, PS2 Slim, XBox, XBox 360, Game Boy, GBC, GBA-SP, DS, Game Gear, GG Master Converter
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:14 pm

Damn I stirred up a bit of controversy, which is kind of humorous considering that I got a.................. Genesis Game Genie. :lol:

But yeah, I know enough not to use an NES one (I doubt it would work on my finicky toaster anyway). The Saturn GameShark sucks too (due to thickness), from what I recall.
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:18 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Damn I stirred up a bit of controversy, which is kind of humorous considering that I got a.................. Genesis Game Genie. :lol:

But yeah, I know enough not to use an NES one (I doubt it would work on my finicky toaster anyway). The Saturn GameShark sucks too (due to thickness), from what I recall.

Saturn Gameshark is arguably far more destructive than the NES's Game Genie. Both have a similar problem (thicker PCB than normal carts), but the Saturn's cart slot is really cheap and finnicky and much easier to break. Plus unlike the NES there's no easy way to replace the Saturn slot if you ruin it.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:53 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Damn I stirred up a bit of controversy, which is kind of humorous considering that I got a.................. Genesis Game Genie. :lol:

Now we just need to know if you're using it as a passthrough to play imports or if you're being a cheat. :P
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:05 pm

I plan on importing, yes.

But I'll screw around with some cheats first. :lol:
Return to General Gaming