What are your opinions/thoughts on Combo Videos?

Brawlers and Beatemups
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Re: What are your opinions/thoughts on Combo Videos?

Post by Erik_Twice »

indecks wrote:I'm saying that if you go into practice mode and the 'dummy' that you're attacking is just sitting there NOT blocking, NOT jumping, NOT reacting, and you pull off this 'amazing' combo - it's pointless, because if the 'dummy' DID react, be it a jump, kick, parry, block, crouch, whatever - then the 'dummy' has a chance to stop/evade the combo. That's what would happen in a 'real' bout against another player.

If you can stop it after the initial hit, then it isn't a combo, by definition.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
indecks
Next-Gen

Re: What are your opinions/thoughts on Combo Videos?

Post by indecks »

Dylan wrote:They're not usually made to demonstrate the skill of the player creating them. This goes back to what I meant about proof of concept, they're designed to showcase the capabilities and attributes of a given character (or team).

Hm, yeah I suppose I do see your point here. I guess I just viewed them as someone showing off. I love watching real matches with pro fighter players and what not, because some of the technique and timing are just crazy! And the best thing about it is that it's all 'real' and not just a practice mode.

Also, didn't mean to ignore the post about the combo vids for brawlers. Those actually ARE pretty cool because they're somewhat organic and the opponents are totally unpredictable. The ones for AVP were pretty crazy. Makes me wish I still had my AVP board to try some of them out, ha.