Buying a new TV

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
XxBroBuzzxX
32-bit

Buying a new TV

Post by XxBroBuzzxX »

My old CRT P-O-S is slowly dying so I'm looking into getting a new HDTV. Nothing huge, preferably 20+ inches. And just 720p is fine for me. 1080p is just overkill for the size I'm aimming for. Also, I'm a budget so a price in the $100-$150 range would be nice.
Any reccomendations?
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Re: Buying a new TV

Post by Cronozilla »

In terms of TVs, this is probably your best bet: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN19D4003 ... 141&sr=8-1

Apparently, the TV looks fantastic (It's Samsung) but sounds not very good.

There's also this Toshiba
http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-19L4200U- ... 419&sr=8-1

The only issue it seems to have is uneven lighting, so you have to turn the backlight down.

They're both in the $170-$180 range ... frankly, they're going to be your best options. They're LED, so the picture quality is going to be much better than a washed out non-LED LCD panel. Plasma isn't really an option because of the size (and burn in is no fun, even if you know how to fix it)

And the other brands available at the same price range are just ... not very good.

Another option (hear me out), is to maybe get a monitor, it'll have much higher resolution in a similar price range with audio. The only restriction is, you can only generally hook up HDMI content to it with a conversion cable (cheap). But it works well. Downside? No TV Tuner (Tuner Monitors cost about $50+ more) and no Remote (unless it has a Tuner)....

$100 for any HDTV is unrealistic. They're still not down to the absolute bargain prices CRTs had for the last couple decades.

If you want 20"+ in TVs you're immediately jumping to $250-$300 land. The only displays you can get 20"+ for cheaper are monitors.
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Cronozilla wrote:$100 for any HDTV is unrealistic. They're still not down to the absolute bargain prices CRTs had for the last couple decades.

Walmart has a tiny 19 inch Chinese cheapo brand HDTV for $99, so they're out there. But they suck, of course.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
XxBroBuzzxX
32-bit

Post by XxBroBuzzxX »

Found this: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-32-E3 ... w9MynSeamY

Sceptre TVs any good? Haven't really heard anything about'em, 'sides the reviews on Walmart.com which are positive.
Cronozilla
Next-Gen

Post by Cronozilla »

I had a Sceptre monitor for a long time, I'd describe them as serviceable. It'll do what you want, but you might not be very happy with the features.

The monitor I had not only had stuck pixels (which they refused to repair the device for) the box it was in and the materials it came with flat out lied about the capabilities of the panel.

I wasn't meaning to say there weren't $100 HDTVs at all ... I was saying that you can't just go out and grab a $100 set and expect something nice like you could with CRT. You could pretty much buy any CRT for a long time and be perfectly happy with what you got ...that is absolutely not true for HDTVs.

I was steering the OP in the direction of massive quality for less coin. Samsung is one of the top manufacturer's when it comes to panel production ... and their assembly model only changes what boards come with a screen ... not what actual panel is used. (If you have two LED LCD 42" TVs from them, for example one is Series 7 and one is Series 8 ... the only real difference is likely the boards it uses, the panels are usually identical. This means you get better quality panels in the lower end models)