The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Re: Tired of talking gender? Let's tackle race!

by ZeroAX Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:58 am

How about black characters that, you know, aren't American? I heard there's this entire continent where there are many of them living there, so many that the continent's Olympic Ring (when was that logo designed again for Asia = Yellow, Africa = Black, America = Red to be considered politically correct? whatever) was colored after their "race".

But yeah I forgot, the rest of the world doesn't care about that place, unless there is oil to be gained.

Seriously, stories about modern Americans (be they black white or whatever_, Japanese and Europeans are so boring (it's hard to care for characters who live in the most prosperous places in the world), if you are going to ask for more black characters, at least ask for more black characters with a MUCH more interesting background.

Mind you, I REALLY don't want to see mainstream game studios tackle anything as serious as the situation in Africa. I think they lack the mental maturity for something like that. An indie game though would be nice :)
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:16 am

ZeroAX wrote:How about black characters that, you know, aren't American? I heard there's this entire continent where there are many of them living there, so many that the continent's Olympic Ring (when was that logo designed again for Asia = Yellow, Africa = Black, America = Red to be considered politically correct? whatever) was colored after their "race".

Resident Evil 5 and I believe Far Cry 2.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Menegrothx
Next-Gen

by Menegrothx Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:29 am

MrPopo wrote:Resident Evil 5

http://residentevil.wikia.com/Chris_Redfield
Chris Redfield is an American
My WTB thread (Sega CD/Saturn games)
Also looking to buy: Ys III (TG-16 CD), Shadowrun (Genesis) Hori N64 mini pad and Slayer (3DO) in long box/just the long box
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:23 pm

MrPopo wrote:Resident Evil 5 and I believe Far Cry 2.

Now I know you are just trolling me :lol: . Judging by how the Spaniards in RE4 were really Mexicans, I think it's improbable that the RE5 staff did any proper research on African culture for that game.

Also do you really play a black guy in Far Cry 2? I thought you were playing as a white person
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.
Forlorn Drifter
Next-Gen

by Forlorn Drifter Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:28 pm

ZeroAX wrote:

Now I know you are just trolling me :lol: . Judging by how the Spaniards in RE4 were really Mexicans, I think it's improbable that the RE5 staff did any proper research on African culture for that game.

Also do you really play a black guy in Far Cry 2? I thought you were playing as a white person

If I remember correctly, you pick from a list of characters, of both skin colors.
ninjainspandex wrote:Maybe I'm just a pervert

PSN: Green-Whiskey
Owned Consoles: GameCube, N64, PS3, PS4, GBASP
BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

by BoringSupreez Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:36 pm

Forlorn Drifter wrote:
ZeroAX wrote:

If I remember correctly, you pick from a list of characters, of both skin colors.

I just played recently, and that is the case. You can even play an Israeli if you want.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:26 pm

BoringSupreez wrote:I just played recently, and that is the case. You can even play an Israeli if you want.

Since when is a nationality a different race? :S
o.pwuaioc
Next-Gen

by o.pwuaioc Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:30 pm

ZeroAX wrote:
BoringSupreez wrote:I just played recently, and that is the case. You can even play an Israeli if you want.

Since when is a nationality a different race? :S

Since when has race ever been resurrected as a valid concept?
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

by ZeroAX Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:32 pm

o.pwuaioc wrote:Since when has race ever been resurrected as a valid concept?

?
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:56 pm

Menegrothx wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Resident Evil 5

http://residentevil.wikia.com/Chris_Redfield
Chris Redfield is an American

I'm pretty sure he was talking about
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheva_Alomar

You know, the other major, important character in RE5.
Return to Games As Culture