What PC manufacturer do you trust?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
Saraph
64-bit

What PC manufacturer do you trust?

Post by Saraph »

I'm currently using a Dell, and have had no problems with service, or the computer itself really. I'm not opposed to change though and I do need a new computer. If anyone has any stories to tell about how they got their PC, or advice to give on purchasing one, feel free!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

I built my own desktop -- I like knowing exactly what goes into my machine.
I like IBM Thinkpads. Very well-built. Wouldn't want to by another brand of laptop.
I'm also planning on buying a Mac Mini next year. Apple makes quality stuff and has good service.

Edit: 1000th post -- woohoo
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

All I know is stay away from compaq. I've had to fix so many compaqs for people, because of all the shit those things come flooded with. And recently, my friend's 9 month old compaq fried because it didn't even have an exhaust fan anywhere on it. It cooked itself.

I as well just suggest building your own.
Saraph
64-bit

Post by Saraph »

Oh, I know compaqs are shite, I've fixed 3 in the past month. I could build my own, but I'd rather not go through all the work. I fix computer and TV's all day, I'd like to save myself the frustration of finding the time to build a computer. I'd just like to come home one day and set it up in a few minutes. From what it seems right now, Alienware is definitely not getting my money.
Jakanden
16-bit

Post by Jakanden »

Gateways are actually pretty respectable now. I was working part time as a Geek Squad member last summer for some easy money and we almost never saw problems with them.
Clockwork
24-bit

Post by Clockwork »

i`ve also built my own desktop pc. my laptop is a thinkpad and til now i have no reason to complain (this thing is now two years old...)
know your roots !!!
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

I hear good things about thinkpads.

I like my iBook... just not OSX... that is why I'm running Ubuntu PPC on it right now and I'm about to go over to Fedora Core (it supports DUN linking with my cellphone to use it as an EV-DO modem... which OSX doesn't, nor do I have the patience to figure out how to get ubuntu to work with it).

As for desktops I used to prefer Dell if I HAD to buy prebuilt. I prefer home built by myself... big fan of MSI products especially their Nvidia Video Cards. They were kinda annoying with SATA support back when it came out. Asus got on the bandwagon real quick of having it all in the chip set... where as it took MSI a couple years longer to finally integrate it in instead of having to load the boot floppy prior to install... whatever.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
ravenmgs
24-bit

Post by ravenmgs »

Dell is "ok", over priced really component wise. I would recomment pirateing the OS and any software you need and just build one your self.
scott21
16-bit

Post by scott21 »

the best pc manuf is yourself. you know what you're paying and putting into it.

a lot of oem's tend to advertise the processor and ram, and cut corners on just about anything else they can.
Ramatut4001
128-bit

Post by Ramatut4001 »

Prebuilt PCs really annoy me the way they come choked with free offers and horrible software I'll never use. I just clean reinstalled my girlfriend's Gateway and It's running pretty well right now.