What game got you into shmups?

2D Shooters Invade
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Re: What game got you into shmups?

Post by D.D.D. »

timewarpgamer wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:
timewarpgamer wrote:I believe that visiting my uncles (one owned Star Castle, another Galaxian) is where it all begin, but Gradius on the NES kept the flame burning at home, and discovering the likes of Gate of Thunder and Lords of Thunder on my TurboDuo kicked my love of the genre into overdrive.

Maybe got you into instrumental rock music too? ;)

Haha, I was definitely listening to some heavy rock and metal at the time, and I still really enjoy listening to the Thunder soundtracks straight-through. Even had to make a little homage to Lords of Thunder's music (http://timewarpgamer.com/features/music_lords_of_thunder.html).

Very nice~ :) Though you might wanna update your Wii+VC (LoT) pricing. $150 for the Wii and $130 some places too.
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
SegaJunkie
24-bit

Post by SegaJunkie »

Life Force / Salamander on NES had me hooked like dope. That and Gradius were the first shmups that I played religiously.

On Atari Missile Comman and Asteroids if they count.

The game that got me hooked onto Arcade shmups was Strikers 1945 I loved how the bosses Transform at the end of the stage.
timewarpgamer
64-bit

Post by timewarpgamer »

D.D.D. wrote:
Very nice~ :) Though you might wanna update your Wii+VC (LoT) pricing. $150 for the Wii and $130 some places too.

Good point, thanks for flagging that. Just updated it.
I run the 8/16-bit retro site TimeWarpGamer and if you want to follow the latest updates, check me out on Twitter.
D.D.D.
Next-Gen

Post by D.D.D. »

timewarpgamer wrote:
D.D.D. wrote:

Good point, thanks for flagging that. Just updated it.

No prob~ Just thought it'd be good to show that, "Act now, you too can play LoT even cheaper with our clear out prices". :wink:
 (FC, AVFC, NES, SFC x2, SNES, N64, GC x2, Wii x2)*(G&W x7, GB, GBpocket, GBASP, DS-L x2)
(GEN, SS x3, DC x3)*(PCE-Duo)*(Xbox:500GB)*(NGCDZ, NGPC)*(PS1, PStwo, PS3:160GB, PSP.3K)
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

AERO FIGHTERS SERIES! Game looked and sounded awesome when i was a kid.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

CD AGES wrote:AERO FIGHTERS SERIES! Game looked and sounded awesome when i was a kid.

Such great games. Have you tried Sonic Wings Special? Its like a greatest hits of the original 3 arcade games.
CD AGES
Next-Gen

Post by CD AGES »

Nope. I heard about it but not much more. Thanks for the heads up. It's on my list :)
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

o.pwuaioc wrote:And in Texas, at least certain parts, it's all called "pepsi", not "coke".

What? Where?
Czernobog
Next-Gen

Post by Czernobog »

First shmup that really captivated me was Harmful Park. I get tired of space-themed games rather quickly so visually speaking most shmups aren't my cup of tea, but the zany colorful theme park motif and bizarre weapons really pulled me in and made me start appreciating shmups for their gameplay. Now I'll give any shmup a try regardless of visual appeal.
hurrito
16-bit

Post by hurrito »

Dragon Spirit and 1942 for the NES.

If the idea of becoming a gold 3 headed dragon is too much for you, you can see yourself out the door.