What Was Sega's Biggest Mistake?

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Mega-Dan
24-bit

did they really release 4 systems in five years?

Post by Mega-Dan »

Did sega really release 4 systems in five years? Is that the real time table? If thats true they deserve to be out of the hardware business!
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Re: did they really release 4 systems in five years?

Post by Mozgus »

alonzobots wrote:Did sega really release 4 systems in five years? Is that the real time table? If thats true they deserve to be out of the hardware business!

I consider the 32x to be an expansion pack for the system, like N64 or Saturn's RAM cart. It's not really a new system. It just slightly improves the system specs, and allows you to play slightly more impressive games.
Mega-Dan
24-bit

32x launched at $150 bucks!

Post by Mega-Dan »

Mozgus, it is not at all comparable to the n64 or saturn memory expansion, since that cost like $40 bucks and 90% of the games were playable without it. The 32x cost $150! and none of those games could be played wihtout the expansion. That thing costs 191 dollars in today's money! Thats more than a DS lite and two games, or a playstation 2 and a game and controller.
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

not to be a stickler for exact raw facts... but

Sega CD US - 92'
32X - 94'
Saturn - 95'
Dreamcast US - 99

That's 7 years

MegaCD Jap - 91'
Super 32X - 95'
Saturn - 94'
Dreamcast Jap - 98

again 7 years... not 5

but still that is a short period of time.

Then again; put the genny at 88' in Japan and 89' in the US. That makes 10 years with 5 major hardware releases along with other stuff like the Pico and GameGear... now THAT is absurd. But as a collector today, that's a lot of Sega to play with!!!! YEY!!!!
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
Mega-Dan
24-bit

Thought that was wrong

Post by Mega-Dan »

Didnt think they would be so stupid as to release 4 hardware platforms in five years, but I didnt know. I didnt know when these things were released except the saturn.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Re: 32x launched at $150 bucks!

Post by Mozgus »

alonzobots wrote:Mozgus, it is not at all comparable to the n64 or saturn memory expansion, since that cost like $40 bucks and 90% of the games were playable without it. The 32x cost $150! and none of those games could be played wihtout the expansion. That thing costs 191 dollars in today's money! Thats more than a DS lite and two games, or a playstation 2 and a game and controller.

I don't recall it being that expensive, but I am not repeating what I said. The point is, 32x did not function without the genesis. That makes it an expansion rather then a new system.