Any Decent Football GB/GBA Games?

Discuss the latest happenings in the world of modern old-school
Luke
Next-Gen

Any Decent Football GB/GBA Games?

Post by Luke »

I'm looking for (and to buy) a solid NFL game for the GB/GBA. I have Madden '07, and it's alright, but I'm looking for a better title.
Any suggestions?
Luke
Next-Gen

Re: Any Decent Football GB/GBA Games?

Post by Luke »

Luke wrote:I'm looking for (and to buy) a solid NFL game for the GB/GBA. I have Madden '07, and it's alright, but I'm looking for a better title.
Any suggestions?

51 views, no replies. Guess NFL games on the GBA stink.
Dude
24-bit

Post by Dude »

You could try Tecmo Bowl or maybe Backyard Football, but, yeah, the general consensus is football games on the GB doesn't work too well. And avoid the NFL Blitz's. The reviews say it all.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

never saw this Luke thread. This past year I've played almost every single US released football game on the GB. So I have some insight.

Tecmo Bowl rules. It's very very very close to the NES version. You can even share passwords between the two consoles (or so I've read).

Konami's football game is terrible. As are the Maddens.

I haven't played any GBC or GBA football games yet though, so I can't help you out there.
jmbarnes101
Next-Gen

Post by jmbarnes101 »

I can concur with Noise that Tecmo Bowl is a solid game. They really did a good job on that one.

Out of the football games I've played on the GBA there wasn't much to say other than the best one seemed to be Backyard Football and the 2nd one seemed slightly better than the first.

I had Blitz for the GBC... best to play keep away with that one.
My FS/FT/WTTF list:
http://racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=51197

Game Systems Owned:
NES, NES 2 (AV mod), SNES, SNES 2, N64 (Pikachu), N64 original (boxed), Gamecube (Orange, Silver, Purple), Wii, Wii U (Zelda), GB Pocket, GBA (2x-Arctic & Indigo), GBA SP (3x), DS Lite (Crimson/Black), 3DS (Aqua Blue), Sega Genesis and 32X, Game Gear, Lynx, PSP (2x), Vita, and Gold PS4.
ejamer
128-bit

Post by ejamer »

I'm playing through Tecmo Bowl on GB right now, and loving it. Not a simulation by any means, but for simple arcade sports it's incredible.

Interesting to see this thread brought back from the dead and have everyone jump in with the same recommendation.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ejamer wrote:I'm playing through Tecmo Bowl on GB right now, and loving it. Not a simulation by any means, but for simple arcade sports it's incredible.

Interesting to see this thread brought back from the dead and have everyone jump in with the same recommendation.

I was actually just playing it over the weekend myself.
Dude
24-bit

Post by Dude »

Sounds like you should avoid Backyard 02 + 06. But he did praise Madden 03 as the best of that series. Thank goodness, I just bought it, hehe...

http://gameboy.ign.com/articles/674/674776p1.html

07 is iffy...

http://gameboy.gamezone.com/reviews/ite ... ba_review/