ps2 rpgs

Level up here
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

The PS2 is one of the best consoles for RPGs. The ones already listed are great, here's a few more:
Star Ocean: Till The End of Time (there's also PS1 games, but I haven't played those)
Phantom Brave
Xenosaga Episodes 1-3
Xenogears (PS1)
Shadow Hearts
Kingdom Hearts (I hate these games, but for some reason, my friends love them)

I have never had a compatibility problem with my PS2 playing a PS1 game.
*waits for someone to say that some super obscure game doesn't work on the PS2*

EDIT:
soniklife wrote:thanks for the feedback guys! i know right off the bat i wanted to check out the final fantasy, kingdom hearts, god of war and ratchet & clank games.

I could go on forever about how great the Ratchet and Clank games are, Every year that one of those games came out, I would spend about 7 hours a day palying on my PS2 (PS3 now) playing the game, trying to get every last weapon, gadget, upgrade, Gold Bolt, etc. Ratchet and Clank is my favorite console series. God of War is a great series for the PS2 as well.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

Me and a friend agreed on this a few days ago. Keep in mind he plays practically nothing but jRPGs. We concluded that PS1 was far and away the better machine for jRPGs. Unless you absolutely can't live with 320x240 resolution, unfiltered visuals the PS1 is for you. The jRPGs it offered had much, much better music, and more memorable stories and characters. What else is there worth noting in this genre? In terms of gameplay variety, both selections show very sparse amounts of evolution, but what are you ganna do? The graphics may be better on PS2, but they just seem to have less charm.

Some specific game comparisons. Same or similar series, and the console's age at the game's launch date were taken into consideration.

Tales of Eternia (Destiny 2) > Tales of the Abyss
Final Fantasy 7 > Final Fantasy 10
Vagrant Story > Final Fantasy 12
Star Ocean 2 > Star Ocean 3
Xenogears > Any of the Xenosagas
Front Mission 3 > Front Mission 4
Legend of Legaia > Legaia 2: Duel Saga
Suikoden 2 > Suikoden 3-5
Legend of Mana > Dawn of Mana

Most of the fans of each of these series will tell you that the PS1 entries were better than the PS2 entries. So what I'm saying is you should probably dive into some PS1 titles first.
diehllane
32-bit

Post by diehllane »

I agree with Mozgus in that Suikoden 2 is better than any of the PS2 versions.

Same goes for FF7. FFX is awful, X-2 was bad, XII wasn't that good.
Ditto for Legend of Mana and Star Ocean 2 being better than the newer PS2 versions.
Atari 2600 (AV mod), NES, SNES (region switch for PAL), Virtual Boy, Gamecube, Wii (D2CKey), PSX (Stealth V), PS2 (independence exploit w/ 160 GB HDD), Goldstar 3DO, Philips CD-i, Dreamcast, Saturn (racketboy's chip), Sega Genesis 2 + CD2 + 32X + Power Base Converter, Game Gear.
Mozgus
Next-Gen

Post by Mozgus »

diehllane wrote:I agree with Mozgus in that Suikoden 2 is better than any of the PS2 versions.

Same goes for FF7. FFX is awful, X-2 was bad, XII wasn't that good.
Ditto for Legend of Mana and Star Ocean 2 being better than the newer PS2 versions.

I could probably come up with a few more if I dig through my discs. I also think FF12 is quite close to the awesomeness of VS. I need to play further to really decide. It's a tougher call than all the other games I listed though. I think it just came down to the license system pissing me off more than VS's equipment freedom and weapon fusing aspects.