Guides to jumpstart your Retrogaming lifestyle
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

GBA Cart Battery and Bootleg Carts

by casterofdreams Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:02 pm

Not sure if this is the right place to post so anyway:

Ok so we are all pretty much aware about the battery in the older GameBoy Color and Original GameBoy cartridges right? From what I see its the Pokemon games that have been a problem with save features so my question is, will the GBA Pokemon games face the same fate and will it be the same way to replace those batteries? This might be too early as my Pokemon Red is still kicking but has anyone run into a dead GBA battery yet?
Last edited by casterofdreams on Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: GBA Cart Battery Question.

by noiseredux Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:02 pm

GBA carts use flash memory, not batteries.
swiftzx
Next-Gen

by swiftzx Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:03 pm

I thought that Gba games use flash memory like DS carts?
Sale thread (please buy!): viewtopic.php?f=22&t=19428
casterofdreams
Next-Gen

by casterofdreams Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:05 pm

swiftzx wrote:I thought that Gba games use flash memory like DS carts?

I thought that too but I'm seeing a battery in those semi clear Pokemon carts so I only assume.
ProfessorK
64-bit

by ProfessorK Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:15 pm

I'm glad i saw this as I was about to ask a related question. I just recently picked up Castlevania Circle of the Moon and my saves don't stay. Like I go in the save room, it says it saved and then when I try to start again all the save files say no data. I found this really confusing because, as you guys said, they use flash. So whats the deal?

Sorry to steal your topic thunder, casterofdreams, but this certainly does apply :D No hard feelings, right?
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

by gtmtnbiker Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:26 pm

ProfessorK wrote:I found this really confusing because, as you guys said, they use flash. So whats the deal?

Are you sure that it's an official GBA cart? I'm wondering if it's a bootleg or a pirate cart.
ProfessorK
64-bit

by ProfessorK Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:33 pm

gtmtnbiker wrote:
ProfessorK wrote:I found this really confusing because, as you guys said, they use flash. So whats the deal?

Are you sure that it's an official GBA cart? I'm wondering if it's a bootleg or a pirate cart.

How can I tell? It seems official. Nothing odd about it from the outside and the label is definitely the usual one.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:41 pm

ProfessorK wrote:
gtmtnbiker wrote:

How can I tell? It seems official. Nothing odd about it from the outside and the label is definitely the usual one.

sounds like a bootleg.

Read this: http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/noise ... s-1390.php
ProfessorK
64-bit

by ProfessorK Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:55 pm

noiseredux wrote:sounds like a bootleg.

Read this: http://www.rfgeneration.com/blogs/noise ... s-1390.php

Well, I typed in the number from my cart and Circle of the Moon is what came up. Also, the label checks out. Sadly, I don't have the necessary screwdriver to open my cart up... One thing too that is odd is at one point I died and when I selected continue I was no longer just starting out and level 3... I was level 50 and had completed everything! That makes me think, as well as the not saving, that its probably not legit :(
gtmtnbiker
Next-Gen

by gtmtnbiker Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:25 pm

Look above the gold contact fingers of the cart. Do you see the white letters that say Nintendo above it? If you don't, then it's definitely a bootleg cart.
Return to Guides