Hyperkin Retron 3 Review

Show your reviewing skills by collaborating with other forums members to review games of all ages.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Re: Hyperkin Retron 3 Review

Post by Hobie-wan »

Rayban wrote:Ok I have a Retron 3 and I'm loving it. I tried to find some info on this but didn't find any: will this play PAL and or Japanese Super Famicon games?

Note I do not have a Retron 3 myself.

It should play Japanese SFami games fine since there was no difference in the original hardware between a US SNES and J SFami. So the emulation chips would be no different either.
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

Rayban wrote:Ok I have a Retron 3 and I'm loving it. I tried to find some info on this but didn't find any: will this play PAL and or Japanese Super Famicon games?
I want to get Dracula X but the American version is much too expensive and the Japanese version is a lot cheaper.
Thank you!

PS I must have Ver 2 of the Retron 3 because it plays the NES game Castlevania 3 just fine.

Yes, all Japanese Super Famicom games will work assuming they are not SA-1 games. As for PAL SNES games, I'm not sure. I assume the results would be the same as if you tried to run PAL games on a real SNES. I can't imagine that working out too good on an NTSC system.

You say you can play Castlevania 3? Please confirm. Castlevania will boot up but completely freeze after the titlescreen. MMC5 doesn't play nice with NOACs.
Rayban
16-bit

Post by Rayban »

You say you can play Castlevania 3? Please confirm. Castlevania will boot up but completely freeze after the titlescreen. MMC5 doesn't play nice with NOACs.

I get past the title screen for sure. I played the first level for a little bit without any problems. I can probably shoot a video if you'd like.

EDIT: Just found this post over at Sega-16.com that shows a direct screen capture of the Retron 3 playing Castlevania 3: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showpost.p ... tcount=184
Image10001110101
Rayban
16-bit

Post by Rayban »

Does anyone else with a Retron3 notice some distortion in the sound on the SNES side? Higher pitches distort really bad. Anyone know of a way to fix this (besides hooking my real SNES backup?)

Just my two cents: The system is great if you don't have the space for all three systems (like myself :) ) . Sound issues are a bit annoying but tolerable for me.
Image10001110101
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

What games are examples of bad pitches on the SNES side? My RetorN3 seems absolutely perfect on the SNES but I'd be glad to go back and double check if you can point out any specific examples.
Rayban
16-bit

Post by Rayban »

Satoshi_Matrix wrote:What games are examples of bad pitches on the SNES side? My RetorN3 seems absolutely perfect on the SNES but I'd be glad to go back and double check if you can point out any specific examples.

Basically all of Secret of Mana's music is slightly distorted. I've noticed it on Chrono Trigger & Secret of Evermore also.
Image10001110101
Weekend_Warrior
Next-Gen

Post by Weekend_Warrior »

I'm very interested in buying one of these. Is there an easy way to visually pick out the 'version 2' Retron from the 'version 1' model?
"Welcome to the circus of values!"

Currently Playing: Crysis (360), Destiny demo (PS3), Roadblasters (MAME)
Satoshi_Matrix
Next-Gen

Post by Satoshi_Matrix »

The box is smaller and lacks a top handle. Also it says "Tri-System" on the front of the box rather than "3-in-1 System".