Double K.O.
13%

Total votes: 72

RCBH928
Next-Gen

Re: Saturn vs. N64 FIGHT!

Post by RCBH928 »

saturnfan wrote:
Saturn had some interesting innovations like built in memory and online play, N64 didn't.

That Saturn had online play?
saturnfan
128-bit

Post by saturnfan »

kingmohd84 wrote:
saturnfan wrote:
Saturn had some interesting innovations like built in memory and online play, N64 didn't.

yes.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Yeah, I've seen a few games with menu options hinting at some kind of online features. Probably nothing near as robust as we enjoy today, but just another example of Sega's machines being ahead of their time.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Jrecee
Next-Gen

Post by Jrecee »

I think there was even a modem for the sega genesis.
Breetai
Next-Gen

Post by Breetai »

kingmohd84 wrote:
saturnfan wrote:

The Genesis and SNES both did as well.

The Saturn, I think, was the first to (sort of) make it mainstream (somewhat) (kind of).
coastercrazy10
64-bit

Post by coastercrazy10 »

As much as I love the 64 because I grew up with it, I voted for Saturn. There are a lot of great RPGs, Arcade style games, and shmups padded with a solid lineup of platformers. Not to mention the beautiful sprite graphics. The only real issue I have with the Saturn is the price of collecting for it...

-CC10
msimplay
64-bit

Post by msimplay »

I feel that the Sega Saturn just had a more rounded selection of games.
I mean the N64 almost neglected entire genres.

Also having originated from an Arcade background the Sega Saturn was the console to own.
It had all the great Sega, Capcom and SNK Arcade conversions.
One of my favourite games is Street Fighter and N64 didn't have it and while I can appreciate the console now based on it's own games having neglected an entire genre meant the N64 ended up getting a lot less play time.
If I recall correctly they also didn't have much on the shooter side.

Coming from the Snes at the time the N64 was a let down because it didn't have a well rounded catalog of games compared to the Snes which had games from every developer and every genre out there.

I think they made a lot of bad decisions like the cartridge format which caused games that would have been on Nintendo to go to Sony.
Plus the developers didn't wait for N64 by the time they released their console everyone else had been in the business for 2 years or so and Sony build up a massive momentum.

I have to say that Nintendo 1st party games have always been among the best out there but Sega's have been equally good.

Easily the Sega Saturn won for me
Street Fighter Alpha 1 + 2
Virtua Fighter 2
Sega Rally
Daytona USA
Virtua Cop 1 + 2
Nights into Dreams
Shining force 3
Dragon Force
Panzer Dragoon 1 + 2
Marvel Super Heroes.
Nightwarriors

These are the games of the top of my head that I just played and played and played.
I'll never forget my experiences with Sega Saturn

ChimairaGT wrote:And I agree, the Saturn is the best 2D controller by far. I don't quite think its analog counterpart can stand up to the N64, though

It does stand up think back the Sega Saturn 3d Nights controller was also the 1st to have analog left and right triggers that both the Xbox and Sony controller now have.

While theres a lot of hate for the N64 pad I still thought it was a great pad compared to the Gamecube one.
6 face buttons on the N64 meant that Street Fighter was possible on it.
But man the Gamecube one was great for Nintendo games and awkward for everything else. Only the most hardcore of gamers could have liked the Gamecube controller it shows in the numbers the PS2 won :P