Video games as the way of life

The Philosophy, Art, and Social Influence of games
saturnfan
128-bit

Re: Video games as the way of life

Post by saturnfan »

Working for a large videogaming magazine like Game Informer or something would be your best shot. However, that will never happen, so as others have said get a job that will grant you an acceptable amount of free time.
Joostrevo
8-bit

Post by Joostrevo »

Be a game reviewer or something like CGR :D
ConSOLES: Sega Dreamcast, Saturn, Mega Drive. Sony PS2, Ps1/X, PSP. Neo Geo Pocket Color
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

Post by Erik_Twice »

Curlypaul wrote:I believe there is also a living to made from participating in pro gaming tournanments if you are lucky enough to be in a part of the world where these things take place and good enough to win.

Not really. I don't think anyone but a handful of Starcraft players can make a living out of gaming. In fact, the only other game when you can get some money is Counter Strike and that's very little, specially when you have to split it in five parts and you will need the money to pay for other tournaments and stuff.

As said before, the best option is being a game journalist for a magazine. I don't think that people who work for websites get paid enough so as to quit their day job.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
J T
Next-Gen

Post by J T »

On the topic of being a game reviewer:

I suggest you listen to some words of wisdom from Kieron Gillen, so you don't enter the job with any delusions. He is one of the great gaming journalists who stepped down from his post at Rock, Paper, Shotgun a few months ago:

http://gillen.cream.org/wordpress_html/?p=1877
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry