Discuss all hardware and software modifications
xan_racketBOY_fan
Next-Gen

[SOLVED] SEGA Saturn Region Patcher -- HELP [SOLVED]

by xan_racketBOY_fan Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:36 pm

Hey guys, I've searched the forums and the rest of the net and from what I've read, using the Saturn Region Patcher v3.0 Gold Edition should be a cake walk. I even followed Step 2 1/3 of Ziggy587's burning guide, but still have no luck running Radiant Silvergun on my NTSC system. The exact steps I've taken are:

a) Acquire [J] Radiant Silvergun BIN/CUE
b) Burned onto CD (I had originally thought the Saturn modchip would allow me to play imports)
c) Receive "Game disc unsuitable for this system" error when CD is loaded in Saturn
d) Discovered Region Patcher, install on Windows XP (via VirtualBox -- I'm running Ubuntu as Host system)
e) Change region via mentioned guide
f) Tried burning new ISO via Nero & DiscJuggler
g) Game loads up to "black SEGA screen" and goes black

I've noticed the ISO is significantly smaller (50MB) than when I had originally burned the CUE. As you can already tell ... I'm completely lost. Any help is appreciated.
Last edited by xan_racketBOY_fan on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emwearz
Next-Gen

Re: SEGA Saturn Region Patcher -- HELP

by emwearz Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:54 pm

Does the patcher tell you the region has been changed? (Under region does it display yours now?)
xan_racketBOY_fan
Next-Gen

by xan_racketBOY_fan Tue Oct 12, 2010 10:46 pm

emwearz wrote:Does the patcher tell you the region has been changed? (Under region does it display yours now?)

Yep. The game was regioned [J] prior to making any changes. Aftering patching it to my region, I reloaded the new image to verify the changes were made, which they were.
flamepanther
Next-Gen

by flamepanther Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:39 pm

I will admit I haven't tried to use the region patcher in a VERY long time (like, 5 years, I think). However, when I did use it, I recall it sometimes failing to produce a working ISO. I never figured out why. Maybe the ISO image isn't structured the way the patcher expects.

It was an OK temporary solution when I didn't have an Action Replay, but I wouldn't go back to it. In my humble opinion, you may be better off with an AR cartridge or a region switch rather than trying to figure out what might be going wrong with the patcher.
xan_racketBOY_fan
Next-Gen

by xan_racketBOY_fan Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:50 pm

flamepanther wrote:I will admit I haven't tried to use the region patcher in a VERY long time (like, 5 years, I think). However, when I did use it, I recall it sometimes failing to produce a working ISO. I never figured out why. Maybe the ISO image isn't structured the way the patcher expects.

It was an OK temporary solution when I didn't have an Action Replay, but I wouldn't go back to it. In my humble opinion, you may be better off with an AR cartridge or a region switch rather than trying to figure out what might be going wrong with the patcher.

I'll definitely look into getting an AR, but man, all these years I've been wanting to play Treasure's acclaimed shooter. So close, yet so far! ;/
Hatta
Next-Gen

by Hatta Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:24 am

Try doing it with a hex editor. I looked into it a while back and came up with this:
I looked at the code for region patching. It looks pretty simple. If you just want to do one or two, you can use a hex editor. If it's a bin/cue go to 0x50 and place a U. If it's an ISO, go to 0x40 and place a U. I haven't tried it on my saturn, but I checked out a couple ISOs and that appears to be how it goes. Hope that helps.

Make sure the bin/cue works in an emulator, and that your chip runs other non-patched burned USA games.
We are prepared to live in the plain and die in the plain!
xan_racketBOY_fan
Next-Gen

by xan_racketBOY_fan Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:33 am

Hatta wrote:Try doing it with a hex editor. I looked into it a while back and came up with this:
I looked at the code for region patching. It looks pretty simple. If you just want to do one or two, you can use a hex editor. If it's a bin/cue go to 0x50 and place a U. If it's an ISO, go to 0x40 and place a U. I haven't tried it on my saturn, but I checked out a couple ISOs and that appears to be how it goes. Hope that helps.

Make sure the bin/cue works in an emulator, and that pyour chip runs other non-patched burned USA pgames.

Thanks for the find. I'll look into as soon as I get the chance. The chip definitely works, I've been playing Guardian Heroes and Panzar Dragoon - both stellar games.

I've loaded up the CUE and I'm looking for 0x50 -- yikes :shock:

emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:19 pm

xan_racketBOY_fan wrote:
flamepanther wrote:I will admit I haven't tried to use the region patcher in a VERY long time (like, 5 years, I think). However, when I did use it, I recall it sometimes failing to produce a working ISO. I never figured out why. Maybe the ISO image isn't structured the way the patcher expects.

I'll definitely look into getting an AR, but man, all these years I've been wanting to play Treasure's acclaimed shooter. So close, yet so far! ;/

Where did you download the image (Snesorama?), I will download it and burn it and make sure the image itself works.
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

by Hobie-wan Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:33 pm

xan_racketBOY_fan wrote:I've loaded up the CUE and I'm looking for 0x50 -- yikes :shock:

That's the cue file you've opened up there. It is a simple text file. I haven't had to hex edit a image file myself as the region patcher works for me, but it's going to be the BIN file you're trying to edit with the hex editor.
xan_racketBOY_fan
Next-Gen

by xan_racketBOY_fan Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:02 pm

emwearz wrote:Where did you download the image (Snesorama?), I will download it and burn it and make sure the image itself works.

I think I got it from dcisozone actually. If not, more than likely snesorama.

Hobie-wan wrote:
xan_racketBOY_fan wrote:I've loaded up the CUE and I'm looking for 0x50 -- yikes :shock:

That's the cue file you've opened up there. It is a simple text file. I haven't had to hex edit a image file myself as the region patcher works for me, but it's going to be the BIN file you're trying to edit with the hex editor.

Haha, thanks. This makes for a great learning experience.

Thanks you guys, I really do appreciate the help! Hope to be rocking Radiant Silvergun real soon :D
Return to Hacks and Mods