Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by CRTGAMER Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:20 pm

Dr Strangelove or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Bomb

Continuing to watch Kubrick movies with daughter who is determined to see every one made.
I must have seen this movie at least five times over the years. Always good for another look!

Another similar movie was released ten months later starring Heny Fonda, titled Fail Safe.

Sterling Hayden
Actor in the lead role in another of Kubrick's movies, The Killing. Perfect actor to play the tough cigar chomping General. Paranoid over Communist plot in fluoridation of city water. Orders B-52 Air wing past their Fail Safe point for a nuclear attack of Russia. An attack through Plan R that only he can stop. I think the only other actor that can portray this Base Commander would have been Richard Widmark.

"I cannot stand by with Communist infiltration which will lead to contamination of everyone's precious bodily fluids."

This film could not be shot in color. Look at the hard lines above, that captures the mood of the General.

Peter Sellers
Plays three different parts in this one. A British Exchange Officer, President of United States and of course Dr. Strangelove.

"A shooting War" "Oh Hell!"
"The beauty of this, the whole point of the Doomsday Machine is lost if you keep it a secret. Why didn't you tell the world?"
"Hello Dimitri? I have something to tell you."

Music
Johnny Comes Marching Home drummed throughout the B-52 scenes. The tension buildup of the pilot radio calls of Plan R check list really draws you in. One really pulls for the airplane crew, even if it means the end of the world.

"Check bomb door circuits one thru four."
"Still negative function."
"Stay on the bomb run, I'll get those doors open."
"Telemetric guidance computer to orange grid"
"Target 6 miles."
"Transponder activated."

A Rant
As in a lot of DVD re-releases, the latest DVD offers cleaned up sound and a pristine print. HOWEVER some of the older supplemental extras usually gets lost. I have both the 2001 Special Edition and the 2004 40th anniversary DVD of this great film. Okay I'm a nut also have the Laser Disc version as well. Anyways the older Special Edition has a great documentary titled "The Art of Stanley Kubrick." It details how Kubrick started out as a photographer in Look magazine, and his early films. The newest version comes with a beautiful booklet.

Better to get both DVDs for all the extras.
The 50th anniversary version will be out in 2014.
Image Image

"Target in sight, Where the Hell is Major Kong!"

"YeeeeeeeHah!"

SPOILER
Okay for those who like to read the last chapter in the book first:

ImageMajor Kong Final Scene
Attachments
Dr Strangelove Color Still 01.jpg
Dr Strangelove Color Still 01.jpg (45.46 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
Dr Strangelove Color Still 02.jpg
Dr Strangelove Color Still 02.jpg (32.96 KiB) Viewed 2364 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Fri May 18, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 32 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:21 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:Dr Strangelove

hang on review on the way.

I LOVE this movie! Probably in my all time top 20 or so...
vash23n
Next-Gen

by vash23n Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:35 am

Watched Bitten last night. This is the first movie I have seen the guy who plays Jay from the Smith movies do something other than Jay from the Smith movies. He was pretty much Jay from the Smith movies, but this wasn't a bad thing. It did mess with the atmosphere a little because he was supposed to be this brooding, bleeding heart type and his rants just sounded too familiar. This movie wasn't perfect and there were some parts that made me cringe (the lead's absurd attack in the ending fight scene seemed to be straight out of a Python movie). There are a lot of dead bodies that pile up (it's a vampire movie) and there doesn't seem to be any odor that would attract attention. The lead actress was a bit off in some scenes. As for the story itself, not to bad. I think it made a pretty neat/obvious connection between vampirism and drug use and how both can effect a relationship.
Snickerd00dle
Next-Gen

by Snickerd00dle Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:17 am

vash23n wrote:Watched Bitten last night. This is the first movie I have seen the guy who plays Jay from the Smith movies do something other than Jay from the Smith movies. He was pretty much Jay from the Smith movies, but this wasn't a bad thing. It did mess with the atmosphere a little because he was supposed to be this brooding, bleeding heart type and his rants just sounded too familiar. This movie wasn't perfect and there were some parts that made me cringe (the lead's absurd attack in the ending fight scene seemed to be straight out of a Python movie). There are a lot of dead bodies that pile up (it's a vampire movie) and there doesn't seem to be any odor that would attract attention. The lead actress was a bit off in some scenes. As for the story itself, not to bad. I think it made a pretty neat/obvious connection between vampirism and drug use and how both can effect a relationship.

He is in the first Feast movie as well, check it out its pretty good
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:13 pm

Back in Time/We Are From the Future/Мы из будущего. A pretty good time travel movie that unfortunately adds little that's new.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:29 pm

Fight Club

I liked it very much.

SPOILER AHEAD.

Loved the scene where the protagonists shoots Tyler and he goes mad "YOU SHOOT...YOUR IMAGINARY FRIEND...NEAR A VAN FILLED WITH NITROGLICERINE?!?!?!" :lol:
Last edited by Erik_Twice on Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
vash23n
Next-Gen

by vash23n Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:37 pm

Savage Messiah. This is a canadian film based on a true story. It had a very made for TV feel to it, but was pretty disturbing. A nice look into cults and things like that. Luc Picard was fantastic. It was released pretty recently, but looked like it was made in the late 70s - early 80s. I think they have been playing it on Lifetime a lot, which makes sense except for all the F-bombs and nudity.

Restraint. Didn't know what to expect with this movie, but it was really good. The three leads where fantastic. An interesting story and situation involving an agoraphobic hostage with an unknown past. No cookie-cutter happy ending either. The thing that ruins this movie is that the synopsis they give on Netflix pretty much gives the ending away. You go through hoping for the ending I think the filmmakers intended, but you know that it is going to turn out not so good because of the damned description on Netflix.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:59 pm

General_Norris wrote:Fight Club

I liked it very much. Loved the scene where the protagonists shoots Tyler and he goes mad "YOU SHOOT...YOUR IMAGINARY FRIEND...NEAR A VAN FILLED WITH NITROGLICERINE?!?!?!" :lol:

Dude, major spoilers for those other four people living in that cave who haven't seen it

Anyway, it's definitely a classic. I loved Fight Club
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

by Pulsar_t Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:10 pm

It had taken me years to watch Fight Club, thankfully with minimum spoilers so that I could enjoy it as Fincher intended.

Ruby & Quentin aka Tais toi!. Second viewing after several years, the comedy doesn't feel fresh but at least it's a bit short and has a few classic moments.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:26 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:Dude, major spoilers for those other four people living in that cave who haven't seen it

Anyway, it's definitely a classic. I loved Fight Club

Don't worry. Rosie O'Donnell spoiled it for everyone when it came out.

Ondine: A boring Irish romance with the requisite precocious child. It wasn't a colossal failure. It just wasn't very good. My wife apologized for this one. Better than Avatar, though. Actually, on that note, the film did LOOK beautiful.

The Rock: Not every Michael Bay film sucks. I really enjoyed this one. I mean, it's not quite as excellent as his famous "Got Milk?" commercial, but it was a fun, ridiculous action title. I'm probably the last person on this board to see this one, though, so I'll leave it at that.
Systems: TI-99/4a, NES, SMS, GB, SNES, 3DO, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever