What was the last movie you've seen?

Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

Post by CRTGAMER »

2001 A Space Odyssey
Saw this one again yesterday with Daughter who is determined to see every Kubrick movie. She has already seen Clockwork Orange, Spartacus, The Killing, The Shining and Full Metal Jacket. Surprised she watched 2001 all the way thru, I think just enjoys Stanley's work. I have Dr Strangelove standing by when she is ready to partake in another older Black and White.

Space suits were true early NASA concepts for the moon landing. HAL computer taking over is intriguing. Genius how the entire Outer Space sequence were shot using classical music. Kubrick played classical music during the filming to get the mood. Worked well, the final electronic music ended up getting canned.

Lot of loose ends, as in a book lets the viewer imagine the outcome.

Ever notice the connection between HAL 9000 and the Android Phone?
Oh, there has got to be an AP that mimics the Daisy Shutdown, Commodore 1541 drive has one.

1541 drive singing daisy, crank up the volume.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gnMgmlKi_o

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Snickerd00dle
Next-Gen

Post by Snickerd00dle »

Yesterday I watched another three movies- this week is very uneventful if you can't tell

Shawshank Redemption- I had never seen this movie, but with such a great cast (Tim Robbins and Freeman) it would be impossible to have a bad movie- nothing to say about this movie that hasn't already been said except go see it if you haven't

Tetsuo the Iron Man- i'm all about weird movies, I love super artsy things too, low budget! right up my alley- this movie encompassed all of those things, and was just a little too off the wall for me, there were parts that i found interesting- but odd chase scenes and noises that hurt my ears made for this one to be a stinker

Scanners- this one is awesome, Cronenberg- exploding heads, crazy plot, sub-par acting very good sci-fi horror movie

***spoiler****
the fact that they were brothers?? the plot felt very similar to star wars ha
Ack

Post by Ack »

Snickerd00dle wrote:Tetsuo the Iron Man- i'm all about weird movies, I love super artsy things too, low budget! right up my alley- this movie encompassed all of those things, and was just a little too off the wall for me, there were parts that i found interesting- but odd chase scenes and noises that hurt my ears made for this one to be a stinker

Aw, you didn't like Tetsuo? That's too bad, I thought it was great. The stop animation chase scenes were inventive if nothing else.
Snickerd00dle
Next-Gen

Post by Snickerd00dle »

Ack wrote:
Snickerd00dle wrote:Tetsuo the Iron Man- i'm all about weird movies, I love super artsy things too, low budget! right up my alley- this movie encompassed all of those things, and was just a little too off the wall for me, there were parts that i found interesting- but odd chase scenes and noises that hurt my ears made for this one to be a stinker

Aw, you didn't like Tetsuo? That's too bad, I thought it was great. The stop animation chase scenes were inventive if nothing else.

I can give you that- just not my style- im going to watch it again at some point, just wasnt in the mood maybe
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Snickerd00dle wrote:
Ack wrote:

I can give you that- just not my style- im going to watch it again at some point, just wasnt in the mood maybe

I hear ya. I watched this earlier this year and considered watching the sequels afterward...but have not been compelled to do so. It was weird, I gave it 3.5/5

I just realized I haven't put up any movie reviews since late August! I promised "something special" then but haven't been able to bring myself to actually watch the movies that I was planning to review. Need to get on that. You can expect a sampling of horror movie reviews next month :)
Hobie-wan
Next-Gen

Post by Hobie-wan »

dsheinem wrote:
Snickerd00dle wrote:Tetsuo the Iron Man-

I hear ya. I watched this earlier this year and considered watching the sequels afterward...but have not been compelled to do so. It was weird, I gave it 3.5/5

I like the first movie, but FWIW the second just didn't grab me the same. Tokyo Fist isn't related other than being another Tsukamoto body-horror style film, but overall I think I like it better.

I also liked the stop motion chase scenes. I'm pretty sure that's the first time I saw that used. I like that kind of noisy music too and wish I could find the song. I suppose I could record it from the DVD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

The Lost Skeleton Returns Again - The sequel to Larry Blamire's The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra, this movie really captures the 1950s B-scifi movie vibe it goes for. Blamire managed to bring back the entirety of the cast from the first, as well as some of the actors in his Trail of the Screaming Forehead, for a sequel that I felt was every bit as entertaining as the original. You'll really need to see the first film before watching this one to understand some of the jokes (such as Ranger Brad's twin brother, Jungle Brad, and why Fleming must try so hard to make up for his brother, and what the deal is with Pammy). But they're absolutely worth watching, especially if you've got a group of friends that like the hokey 1950s cheapo scifi from the likes of Ed Wood.

Terribly Happy - A weird Danish film about a disgraced cop sent to a bizarre small town, where a woman in an abusive relationship seems to romantically pursue him. From there, it all goes downhill. Watching it reminded me of a combination of Hot Fuzz, Twin Peaks, and the game Deadly Premonition, and the film has drawn comparisons to the Coen brothers movies. While there are times in the film where I despise certain characters (there's a sex scene in the film that reviled everyone in the audience I watched it with), it wraps up nicely and exactly the way I wanted it to.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Das Experiment. Been meaning to watch this for some time, didn't stop me from recommending it to everyone however :P Pure brilliance, a bit of forced romance but everything else was spot on. I don't care for the obligatory Hollywood remake.
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
vash23n
Next-Gen

Post by vash23n »

Pulsar_t wrote:Image

Das Experiment. Been meaning to watch this for some time, didn't stop me from recommending it to everyone however :P Pure brilliance, a bit of forced romance but everything else was spot on. I don't care for the obligatory Hollywood remake.

This movie was great. I loved it. Didn't know they were making a remake, but I should have guessed.

I saw Monsters last night. I really really liked it. It isn't horror and not much action so don't go expecting, well, monsters. It is also, as I have read, in no way similar to District 9, Cloverfield, Alien, Alien Nation, or anything else. Aside from the fact that there are aliens, I guess, and a quarantine zone. But strangely I haven't heard much comparison to Outbreak or The Crazies. There is also a sentient fungus and yet it doesn't remind me TOO much of Fern Gully. I guess it has two people trekking from one area to another on foot so it has something to do with The Road as well. There is a lot filmed in Mexico, which kind of reminds of me of the beginning of Jurassic Park when Newman visits that guy who wants him to steal dinosaur DNA, so I guess that fits as well. The aliens have some weird phosphorescence thing happening so you can just throw The Abyss in there. Just imagine every movie you have ever seen and there is probably some portion that relates to Monsters, which may make you happy or sad, I guess. People are becoming so critical of movies. I think maybe we should just stop making them. That would at least make the classics fan boys happy.

Regardless, this film was very good. It actually had a little bit of a meaning to it, not too complicated to make you think too much, but not too topical to make it pointless. Check it out.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

I caught the first 30 minutes of Monsters, the CG is a bit weak but this is not a special effects-driven movie from the looks of it. Will post impressions later :)
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image