Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by CRTGAMER Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:20 pm

The Last Starfighter - 25th Anniversary Edition

After writing a thread: Arcade Cabs: Prototype and Urban Legends Released, I hadda get the movie to see the real Arcade remake cabinet in action. In the DVD bonus features section sure enough, the replica Cab is in it running at full glory. Used as intro to documentary Crossing the Frontier: The Making Of The Last Starfighter, unfortunately the original actor who is narrating didn't demonstrate the running Arcade in front of the camera. Well looks fully fuctional though.

A pre Eco clear case and the movie is Anamorphic, yes!

One of the first movies to use CGI as Tron for scenes. generated with a Cray Super computer easily outpowered by your cell phone today. What I liked about the movie was not the CGI, but the story in its simplicity small town atmosphere. Funny how a lost era captured the amazement of an arcade game, now just taken for granted.

But what really makes this movie is the wonderful characters and dialog. Especially these two: :D

Robert Preston reprises his role as Music Man, a fast talking con artist.
He uses an Arcade game to find the best Starfighter.
"You may have thought it was a game, but it was also a test! AHA!"
"To find those with the gift to be Starfighters and here you are my boy!"

When Alex wants to quit:
"Do you know how long it took to invent the game, the merchandising, to get it in the stores by Christmas?"

Dan O'Herlihy as the horse laughing alien character Grig
"How many Starfighters are left?"
"One"
"It'll be a slaughter!"
"Thats the Spirit!"
"No my slaughter! One ship against the entire Armada?"
"I've always want to fight a desperate battle against incredible odds."

Yes the movie is 80s effects and a little campy. But be a kid again for a couple hours and as Ebert says my "Guilty Pleasure." :D

Image Last Starfighter Theater Trailor

Attachments
Scene 13.jpg
Scene 13.jpg (27.91 KiB) Viewed 2690 times
Scene 07.jpg
The Great Robert Preston
Scene 07.jpg (69.63 KiB) Viewed 2692 times
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:34 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:The Last Starfighter - 25th Anniversary Edition

After writing a thread: Arcade Cabs: Prototype and Urban Legends Released, I hadda get the movie to see the real Arcade remake cabinet in action. In the DVD bonus features section sure enough, the replica Cab is in it running at full glory. Used as intro to documentary Crossing the Frontier: The Making Of The Last Starfighter, unfortunately the original actor who is narrating didn't demonstrate the running Arcade in front of the camera. Well looks fully fuctional though.

One of the first movies to use CGI as Tron for scenes. generated with a Cray Super computer easily outpowered by your cell phone today. What I liked about the movie was not the CGI, but the story in its simplicity small town atmosphere. Funny how a lost era captured the amazement of an arcade game, now just taken for granted.

But what really makes this movie is the wonderful characters and dialog. Especially these two: :D

When Alex wants to quit:
"Do you know how long it took to invent the game, the merchandising, to get it in the stores by Christmas?"

"One"
"It'll be a slaughter!"
"Thats the Spirit!"

Yes the movie is 80s effects and a little campy. But be a kid again for a couple hours and as Ebert says my "Guilty Pleasure." :D

I used to love this movie. It's every gamer's fantasy. You're so badass in the game they recuit you to save the galaxy, like Kenny in South Park reaching level 60 in Heaven vs Hell and getting recruited by Heaven to stop Satan LOL

The Last Starfighter was a big part of my child hood
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:12 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:I used to love this movie. It's every gamer's fantasy. You're so badass in the game they recuit you to save the galaxy, like Kenny in South Park reaching level 60 in Heaven vs Hell and getting recruited by Heaven to stop Satan LOL

You can download a PC version of the game, exact duplicate of movie version:
http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=296545#p296545
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

EvilRyu2099
Next-Gen

by EvilRyu2099 Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:49 am

Just saw Talk Radio.... Very underrated movie from Oliver Stone and Eric Bogosian..

PSN: GoTigers9999
Live: Iori8000
Nintendo:Iori9999 3DS Friend Code: 4012-3366-0941
My Twitch stream channel!
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:55 am

The Brave Little Toaster!

Nightmare fuel FTW!!
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Anayo
Next-Gen

by Anayo Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:57 am

I watched the 1970's "Andromeda Strain" movie.

It was surprisingly good. The production values were a little outdated, but the plot was fast paced, just like Michael Chrichton's novels. It was really SCARY. We're talking the fear of a tiny microscopic life form that can kill you in seconds.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:59 am

EvilRyu2099 wrote:Just saw Talk Radio.... Very underrated movie from Oliver Stone and Eric Bogosian..

Agreed. Love this film - it helps shows Stone's range.
Ack

by Ack Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:12 am

Anayo wrote:I watched the 1970's "Andromeda Strain" movie.

It was surprisingly good. The production values were a little outdated, but the plot was fast paced, just like Michael Chrichton's novels. It was really SCARY. We're talking the fear of a tiny microscopic life form that can kill you in seconds.

As a fan of Crichton's books, I thought the Andromeda Strain was extremely well done.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Anayo
Next-Gen

by Anayo Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:58 am

Ack wrote:
Anayo wrote:I watched the 1970's "Andromeda Strain" movie.

As a fan of Crichton's books, I thought the Andromeda Strain was extremely well done.

I'm a fan of his books too. So far I've read Congo, Timeline, and Prey. The movie adaptations of his work seem to have a really hit and miss track record (EG. I love Jurassic Park, but the Timeline movie was awful.) Andromeda Strain was really good, though.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:29 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:The Last Starfighter - 25th Anniversary Edition

When Alex wants to quit:

"One"
"It'll be a slaughter!"
"Thats the Spirit!"

I used to love this movie. It's every gamer's fantasy. You're so badass in the game they recuit you to save the galaxy, like Kenny in South Park reaching level 60 in Heaven vs Hell and getting recruited by Heaven to stop Satan LOL

yeah I had the VHS and watched it over and over.
Return to Off-Topic / Whatever