Is it PS, PS1, PS One, or PSX?

Gaming on the Playstation and Xbox Platforms
irixith
Next-Gen

Re: Is it PS, PS1, PS One, or PSX?

Post by irixith »

This is a pretty common question -- the PlayStation was actually referred to as "PSX" long before that DVR+PS1+PS2 unit was devised. The "X" stands for "eXperimental", part of the original codename of the unit -- PlayStation Experimental.

Sony actually hated the PlayStation name, and wanted to brand the whole unit as "PSX":

"A larger sticking point, however, was PlayStation branding. SCEA hated the name and wanted to change it to PSX, a contraction of the project's codename. "This was actually a huge internal battle, to the point where there was research done among consumer groups," says Harrison, who, having seen various youth groups reacting badly to the name PlayStation, had his own fears about it. "I remember thinking, 'Oh my God, the name is bombing and everyone is going to hate it'. I shared the information with Tokunaka-san, and he said, 'Oh, that's nothing, you should have heard what people said about Walkman'. And that pretty much ended the debate." In Europe, at least: the US nevertheless went ahead with early trade promotion, calling it PSX, and had even come up with its own mascot, Polygon Man". (Source (Page 5 of the article.)

What surprises me really is that it hasn't been all that far back in history, and already it's a question the majority of gamers are unable to answer. It was PSX from the very beginning, and the the correct acronym when referring to the original PlayStation. If you want to refer to the svelte little redesign, that's the "PSOne", or "PS1" in store stock computers.

The more you know. :p
Octopod
Next-Gen

Post by Octopod »

I call it a PS1
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

Brandnames shouldn't generate so much fuss... I pronounce it 'Piss-One' myself.

Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
darthmunky
Next-Gen

Post by darthmunky »

I've been calling it the PS1 since PS2 came out.
- Check out my Trade List
- Check out my Want List
- My GameTZ feedback
- My eBay feedback
Niode
Next-Gen

Post by Niode »

PSX, nobody gives a shit about the DVR/PS2 hybrid thing known as the PSX, even less actually own one. It's irrelevant to even bring it up. State PSX and everybody knows what you are talking about.
Marurun wrote:Don’t mind-shart your pants, guys
Ack

Post by Ack »

Niode wrote:PSX, nobody gives a shit about the DVR/PS2 hybrid thing known as the PSX, even less actually own one. It's irrelevant to even bring it up. State PSX and everybody knows what you are talking about.

Actually, I kinda want one... And besides, considering some of the stuff some of the guys on this site already own, I don't think it's that long of a shot for one of us to own one of these things.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Post by CRTGAMER »

I often refer to the original grey as the PSX.

There was Nintendo - SNES.
There was Playstation -PSX.

Just plain PLAYSTATION or PSX for short used to be common name before that PS2 hard drive version came out. Grey model now most commonly referred to as PS1 since there is now a PS2 and PS3. The smaller white one is labeled PSone not PS1. Just verbally describing PSX makes better sense the PS1.

Last edited by CRTGAMER on Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

slowslow325
Next-Gen

Post by slowslow325 »

I was calling it PS1, then I found out that there was a smaller version called the PSone. I started calling it the PSX, because when I talk I'm not going to say out the letters. Also, I refer to the PSX far more than I refer to the DVR thing. So, it's more convenient to say PSX for the system and "PSX as in the DVR thing" when I rarely refer to it.

CALL IT THE PSX! Call the PSone the PSone, call the DVR thing "that DVR thing", refer to them all as PS1's.
Pulsar_t
Next-Gen

Post by Pulsar_t »

slowslow325 wrote:CALL IT THE PSX! Call the PSone the PSone, call the DVR thing "that DVR thing", refer to them all as PS1's.

Mmmm no.. I still like the sound of Piss-One better. Psst-One if you want to be PC about it :lol: :lol:
Thy ban hammer shalt strike Image
ZeroAX
Next-Gen

Post by ZeroAX »

With my friends we just call the original grey console PS1 (the 1 in our language) and the PSone with its actual English name, that makes it really easy to differ them :P.

So just call the PS1 PSichi (1 in japanese) haha
BoneSnapDeez wrote:The success of a console is determined by how much I enjoy it.