Talk about just about anything else that is non-gaming here, but keep it clean
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: What was the last movie you've seen?

by dsheinem Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:55 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:I also got a cheap copy of The Wrestler from my local Blockbuster during its closing out sale. I plan on watching it soon

The Wrestler is a great film! I plan to see Avatar later this summer too, for the same reason as you. Since 3D annoys me in most films, I don't feel that I'll be missing anything by viewing it on Blu-Ray at home.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:27 pm

dsheinem wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:I also got a cheap copy of The Wrestler from my local Blockbuster during its closing out sale. I plan on watching it soon

The Wrestler is a great film! I plan to see Avatar later this summer too, for the same reason as you. Since 3D annoys me in most films, I don't feel that I'll be missing anything by viewing it on Blu-Ray at home.

The AVATAR released yesterday is only the movie. The huge bonus one will be out in November.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:43 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:
dsheinem wrote:

The AVATAR released yesterday is only the movie. The huge bonus one will be out in November.

Well the one I picked up is apparently a blueray/dvd combo pack. You'd think at least the Blue Ray would have some extras. I don't mind though if it's not the "complete" package, I just wanted to check the movie out and I was shopping for some other things and noticed it so I picked it up. Now, if I end up loving it then maybe I'll pick up the new edition in November but we'll see

Glad you like The Wrestler dsheinem. I'm a wrestling fan myself and fairly knowledgeable about the wrestling business so it should be an interesting movie for me to see.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:45 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:Glad you like The Wrestler dsheinem. I'm a wrestling fan myself and fairly knowledgeable about the wrestling business so it should be an interesting movie for me to see.

I'm not a wrestling fan, but still really liked it. Here's my thoughts from a few months back: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7221&p=201642
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:59 pm

dsheinem wrote:
Gamerforlife wrote:Glad you like The Wrestler dsheinem. I'm a wrestling fan myself and fairly knowledgeable about the wrestling business so it should be an interesting movie for me to see.

I'm not a wrestling fan, but still really liked it. Here's my thoughts from a few months back: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7221&p=201642

Nice review, really looking forward to it now

Can't wait for my next day off, I'm gonna grab some snacks, chill out and watch The Wrestler and Avatar
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:15 pm

dsheinem wrote:I'm not a wrestling fan, but still really liked it. Here's my thoughts from a few months back: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7221&p=201642

The Wrestler movie a great story! I think it captures everyone's desire to have what is lost.

In clicking your link, I agree, love the Legendary Leone Spaghetti Western Three.

dsheinem wrote:For a Fistful of Dollars (1964) – Ok – confession time. I spoke with authority about the famous Dollars Trilogy in some previous posts, but later realized I had only seen bits and pieces of the third film (I was confusing some later Eastwood films with these mid-60s classics). Anyway, I took this realization as an opportunity to watch them all in their entirety. This is the first film in the trilogy, and it is indeed a stylistic departure from most Westerns that came before and completely deserving of its reputation. Though the plot is full of intrigue and well paced, two other things - the sparse score and Eastwood's embodiment of machismo – really drive the film. An impressive supporting cast, dry wit, and several great action scenes flesh out this engaging movie.
Grade: 4/5

For a Few Dollars More
(1965) – Though stylistically very similar to the first film, I found the sum of parts here to be a little less substantive. Perhaps it was the fact that Eastwood is partnered up for the second half of the film, or the fact that the bank robbery/El Paso setting seemed more cliché than the environments of the first film...it just wasn't as interesting or captivating. That's not to say it's not a strong film for all the reasons the first one was, but I just didn't enjoy it quite as much.
Grade: 3.5/5

I'll try to round up your review. Pardon my writing.

The Good, The Bad and the Ugly (1966) - Sergio Leone's greatest of the Spaghetti Three, paired with Ennio Morricone's grand musical score. Unforgettable characters. Clint Eastwood as the Good and of course Lee Van Cleef as the Bad. New actor to this story is Tuco the Ugly, brilliantly played by Eli Wallach. The huge cast of other familiar characters are all here. Joe "Blondie" (Eastwood) pairs up with Tuco in a search of a lost gold cache at a cemetery. Tuco knows the cemetery and Joe knows the grave forming an uneasy trust between the two gunfighters. Meanwhile In the background, Setenza "Angel Eyes" (Van Cleef) another gunfighter, has also been in a search of the gold. The three eventually meet in the midst of an Epic Civil War setting showing the cruelty of war not to be missed. At the final confrontation in the graveyard, Sergio's classic approach of closeups of the eyes shows the emotional desperation inside each man. Look for the shot off finger of one of the Gunfighters hands. The graveyard scene is one that really demands widescreen to capture the effect. It has been lost for years when originally broadcast on TV. It is not the actually final shootout, but the tension that builds, an enjoyable ride. The Italian western of westerns.

Little Trivia, the first film A Fistful of Dollars was based on the Kurosawa movie Yojimbo played by the great Toshiro Mifune.
Kurosawa/Mifune movies are legendary, the best of Japanese black and white cinematography.

CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:21 pm

CRTGAMER wrote:I'll try to round up your review.

I wrote about it too, about a month later: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7221&p=217248

I think Fistful of Dollars is my favorite of the three, but each is a worthwhile viewing.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:02 pm

dsheinem wrote:
CRTGAMER wrote:I'll try to round up your review.

I wrote about it too, about a month later: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7221&p=217248

I think Fistful of Dollars is my favorite of the three, but each is a worthwhile viewing.

Oop missed it, well another perspective.

Agree, all three are great escape movies, very enjoyable to watch over again.

A Bump EDIT

Okay here is the final Good Bad Ugly confrontation.
Do yourself a favor, get the movie watch it on HD.

Spoiler Alert!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXldafIl5DQ

EDIT 2
Okay I'm outta here for a while.
Gonna watch that movie again inglorious HD.
First a large Kahlua drink to prepare.

Limewater
Next-Gen

by Limewater Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:49 am

Gamerforlife wrote:If it can at least be an entertaining waste of two hours, ... I won't regret the purchase

Get ready to regret the purchase.
Systems: TI-99/4a, NES, SMS, GB, SNES, 3DO, N64, DC, PS2, GBA, GCN
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

by CRTGAMER Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:12 pm

Okay re-watched a great Western again last night.
For the curious, here is why Eli Wallach is phenominal as Tuco.

Now go get that movie!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oWR51kCXq4&feature=PlayList&p=5030195E225728DA&playnext_from=PL&index=4

Return to Off-Topic / Whatever