CDX doesn't read backups

SMS, Genesis, 32X, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast
Zed
8-bit

CDX doesn't read backups

Post by Zed »

Hey there :wink:

Now that I finally bought a CDX, the little beast refuses to play backups. Yay for me.

It's a Brazilian Tec Toy Mega-CDX. It runs NTSC original games just fine (as it should), but shows up an irritating "no disc" error whenever I try to load a CD-R copy.

I tried changing cd brands, recording speeds, drives, operating systems, even computers - to no avail. All backups (burnt from Darkwater rips) are readable on my computers and work with emulators.

So meh, still no Snatcher for old Zed :(

Does anybody have any clue of what's going on here? Am I being stupid or something? :)

Thanks in advance.

(It seems I'm blessed/cursed with weird SEGA hardware, heh).
lordofduct
Next-Gen

Post by lordofduct »

the CDX's are really iffy about the CD-R's you use. It has nothing to do with the BIOS or any of that nonsense. It's just merely the CD-R itself.

If you expect to get it to work you'll have to work and hunt at finding the right media and speed to burn them at.

I advise Taito-Yuden disks burned very slowly. First try making direct copies of legite games (not downloaded games) to get those to work. Then start working on getting the back up versions to work that you have on your HDD.

If you feel frisky you can also go in and try to strengthen the laser on the CDX. The laser on them is kinda weak, it's supposed to be a portable CD player so they tend to have crappier lenses in them.
www.lordofduct.com - check out my blog

Space Puppy Studios - games for gamers by gamers
Zed
8-bit

Post by Zed »

Thanks, I'll try both.