Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Sarge Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:31 pm

Yep, Robobot was one of my favorites from last year. It doesn't do a ton differently from other Kirby games, but the mech suit is a nice touch.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
marurun

by marurun Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:38 pm

1. Axiom Verge (Windows)

If you like classic Metroid you should probably play this game. Axiom Verge is a game designed to look largely like an NES game, with limited color use and chunky graphics. The music is sort of a modern take on chiptunes, so chip sounds are integrated but not the only instruments. Sound effects are mostly chip-sounds. There's parallax in the backgrounds and 3D shader effects on weapons and explosions and whatnot, too. Level layouts, graphic inspiration, and destructible blocks are all right out of Metroid. Right off the bat you'll start looking around for a morph ball because it just feels so natural (but you won't find one). As the game goes on it slowly teaches you how it is different from Metroid, but you'll never shake the deja vu, and that's not a bad thing. The weapons and various powerups are where the game really diverges. The game gives you all sorts of abilities to get around the map at speed and in style once you've made it about half-way into the game.

The story of the game is clearly meant to keep you guessing at first, and as it is revealed, there's still more you'll probably want to know that the game won't tell you. But there are some really interesting hints at a larger universe you barely get to see.

For those who want a real challenge, there's a speed run option built right into the game. It removes all the various dialogues and some of the GUI, so that you can get right down to business.

My only major complaint with the game is that for some of the late game enemies there really isn't a safe strategy for confrontation, even with all the weapons and tools this game provides, and the game gives you TONS of different weapons. Only about half of them really feel useful. The rest are fun to play with, but don't really add anything to the core gameplay experience. Experts can really use the mobility tools to their advantage in combat, but they can feel a little finicky at times for those without perfect timing and that just leads to some frustrating deaths. As an example, there's a grappling hook in the game that feels a lot like the one from Bionic Commando on the NES, but it's just not quite as flexible a tool and those who want it to be everything it was in BC will be lulled into complacency until suddenly they run head first into what it doesn't do.

While there are other gameplay influences, this game doesn't just wear Metroid on its sleeve, it skins it and wears it for a suit. Truth told, the fit is pretty good. I enjoyed it and would definitely recommend it. It's not perfect, but it doesn't have to be. It's more than good enough.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:43 pm

Hit up Momodora next.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:09 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Get an actual TurboGrafx-CD, download it on Wii or Wii U, whatever you need to do (I GUESS you can emulate on a PC if you're a punk-ass bitch), but play this version, man.

Let me get this straight; you're not a punk-ass bitch if you use Virtual Console emulation, but you are a punk-ass bitch if you use PC emulation?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:19 am

Right, the rules are set up so that Elkin is not a punk-ass bitch.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:03 am

Exhuminator wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Get an actual TurboGrafx-CD, download it on Wii or Wii U, whatever you need to do (I GUESS you can emulate on a PC if you're a punk-ass bitch), but play this version, man.

Let me get this straight; you're not a punk-ass bitch if you use Virtual Console emulation, but you are a punk-ass bitch if you use PC emulation?

You're not a punk ass bitch if you either play it on a physical release or if you use an emulation service by which the developers/publishers/current IP holders are properly paid.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:06 am

Devs get paid = yay
Publishers/IP holders get paid = who gives a fuck, and this is the most likely case in situations like these

Also, shelling out for a physical release of some old game isn't getting anyone paid besides the person you bought it from.

My $0.02. Worth probably less than that.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:07 am

TSTR wrote:Devs get paid = yay
Publishers/IP holders get paid = who gives a fuck, and this is the most likely case in situations like these

The only reason I care about the latter is because if they see renewed or continued interest in a series, they might decide it's worth their time and money to publish more games.

TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:12 am

Valid point. But I find the practice of "oh here y'all, buy this old game and maybe we'll do more related to it if it sells well enough" a little scummy. I don't know why.

EDIT: Now I remember why this practice turns me off. Darkstalkers.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:14 am

TSTR wrote:Valid point. But I find the practice of "oh here y'all, buy this old game and maybe we'll do more related to it if it sells well enough" a little scummy. I don't know why.

No, you're totally right. Unfortunately, just developers aren't usually enough - you need those publishers for a game to see the light of day. A necessary evil, so to speak. It's why I love devs that self-publish.

Return to General Gaming